Effect of Brexit on WDW attendance?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I pretty much jumped out of the woodwork since these issues are now impacting WDW. I really don't like that my professional interests and personal hobby have collided. You don't have to believe or agree with anything I say - I neither risk nor gain anything by posting anonymously on a msg board. I am enjoying the discussions and different points of view - that's what I'm here for, others' insight and perspective that I might not have.
and when youve been here a bit longer you will realise Im not joking.

SorcererMC

and when youve been here a bit longer you will realise Im not joking.
I admit it is sometimes hard for me to tell when someone is joking or not, you know, the lack of sarcasm font; so thanks for saying you're not. My own sense of humor is rather dry, so that's how I interpret a lot of things.

ETA: Quite often, what I think and what I feel are not the same, so re: Brexit, I thought it was likely. But I'm still like this:

i don't believe it.jpg

And I'm still learning about 'not feeding the trolls'.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

The currency has drastically devalued over the last year. It's bad over there

Very true. When I was in Brazil over the fall, our money was so good there. Cashaca, a wonderful Brazillian rum, which costs about 30 reales, cost us approximately 6 American dollars. A four stay hotel stay in rio cost us about 50 a night. Great if you are an American tourist, awful if you are a native. Between the damage from the World Cup, the impending damage of the Olympics, their recent presidential impeachment, etc. Brazil is in a very rough spot. That being said, my sister-in-law has been saving for years in the hopes of eventually taking her kids to Disney. She doesn't seem so concerned about visiting us in Massachusetts though. If you get your family to Disney, then it's a major accomplishment for them.

willtravel

This all sounds familiar. Do you think right now this is all a knee jerk reaction ? Panic. Personally I think the market sell off is. Plus a some profit taking. Nothing has been decided, proposed, changed yet. I know the unknown can be scary but nothing has happened yet. There will be ups and down but how can we know how this will affect attendance at WDW when nothing has been put into place. The feeling here in US has always been in election year things slow down. I think that is going on.

seascape

It is way too early to know what the impact will be to either Europe, Disney nor anyone else. We can't even be sure the EU will survive or not or even comeback as a more complete union with or without the UK. That said it is not up to those outside of Europe to decide and those of us in the United States should stay out of it. That includes all of us and our leaders. The issues are not ours and should not be discussed here. What we all sould know is that Europe will continue to exist and thrive as long as the world survives.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Currency fluctuations are not new and the U.K. Visitors to Florida did not start with the last run up of the exchange rate (which was driven more by the weakness of the dollar)

The Brits will keep coming and impacts will be in the deltas of percentage points, not cataclysmic drop offs.

How often do we hear "oh it's really cheap to visit. XYZ now!" And how many people actually change their vacation **patterns** on that?

Pound vs dollar bigger picture...
dollar-recent.gif

It takes a lot to move the larger needle vs small changes in behaviors.

The U.K. Was still one of the strongest markets in Europe before the EU - they aren't going to disappear over not having the EU

SorcererMC

It is way too early to know what the impact will be to either Europe, Disney nor anyone else. We can't even be sure the EU will survive or not or even comeback as a more complete union with or without the UK.
I beg to differ (granted, it seems you don't find speculating worthwhile).
Long-term: I find it very unlikely that the EU will survive this...its sustainability was questioned long before the euro was introduced. But this also means that long-term, UKers will likely keep favoring WDW, as others have already said.
Short-term to Medium-term, currency fluctuations means that expected profits are already affected.

Nothing has been decided, proposed, changed yet.

The status quo has been disrupted. Change is well on its way, the extent is unknown.

re: Disney/WDW tourists from UK. It is the uncertainty and continued instability that will cause tourists next year to not plan their trips to WDW. For WDW, it will come down to the net change in visitors, and it does seem that all of their consumers segments are being hit (US/UK/Brazil). So it becomes a matter of their strategy to address it. ETA: Their long-term growth depends on the decisions that they make in the short-term and medium-term.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

@flynnibus

Yes, this chart is useful in reflecting the long-term stability, it clearly reflects the 1980-84, 2001, 2008 recessions.

This would have to be compared with the attendance of WDW visitors from the UK, and how it has fluctuated during a similar time frame. Ie, Was the influx of UK visitors since WDW opened? Or a more recent phenomenon, say, 15 years?

If you or anyone else here has insight on that, I'd love to know.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@flynnibus

Yes, this chart is useful in reflecting the long-term stability, it clearly reflects the 1980-84, 2001, 2008 recessions.

This would have to be compared with the attendance of WDW visitors from the UK, and how it has fluctuated during a similar time frame. Ie, Was the influx of UK visitors since WDW opened? Or a more recent phenomenon, say, 15 years?

It would be interesting and I'm sure you'd find a correlation... But the point was more that as much as the currency fluctuates, the underlying premises of what brings Brits to Florida largely stays the same. Temporary start stops due to economic issues have impacts.... But Brits will return.

Just like the brazilians will after their economy turns.

ParentsOf4

Please keep in mind that an overnight 10% drop in the Sterling/Dollar exchange rate is unprecedented. It is just the first fallout from Brexit. The important question is: How will Brexit affect consumer sentiment?

British politicians opposed to Brexit have been painting a bleak picture for months. Now the pound plummets immediately after the vote. The consensus is that the pound will fall a bit further, and that Britain is in for rough economic times ahead.

As I posted on another thread, Disney Parks & Resorts revenue tends to be a trailing indicator of difficult economic times:

P&R Domestic Revenue Change.jpg

Brits today might say, "I'm going to Disney World." Historically, that sentiment will change if Brexit drags the British economy down.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom