Effect of Brexit on WDW attendance?

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
The pound is down quite a bit against the dollar with a whole lot of uncertainty floating around now. Think this is this likely to hurt WDW attendance even more for the remainder of the year? Is this enough to create a noticeable drop in crowds similar to the lack of Brazilians currently?

Nero the dog

Not for this year. Most UK visitors will have already bought and paid for any tickets and fares for trips this year.
If the exchange rate doesn't recover it may have a huge impact in the future.
I'm a DVC owner, and we have already discussed selling the points and making a profit.

SorcererMC

A 'noticeable' drop - yes, but probably small, as Nero the dog stated, most have paid and will go. Nevertheless, the slightest drop will not help Disney whatsoever given the current challenges. Re: Brexit, this kind of 'shock' to the econ system will cause consumers to react to the immediate uncertainty, and 'batten down the hatches'....and some will eliminate 'vaca spending' as a result (for savings cushion). So, agreed, 2017 attendance (pre-Iger 2018 exit) for Disney is likely worrisome.

HauntedMansionFLA

A 'noticeable' drop - yes, but probably small, as Nero the dog stated, most have paid and will go. Nevertheless, the slightest drop will not help Disney whatsoever given the current challenges. Re: Brexit, this kind of 'shock' to the econ system will cause consumers to react to the immediate uncertainty, and 'batten down the hatches'....and some will eliminate 'vaca spending' as a result (for savings cushion). So, agreed, 2017 attendance (pre-Iger 2018 exit) for Disney is likely worrisome.
It will be interesting to see the impact it will have on the US stock market today. People will panic and probably cancel or not make trip plans.

asianway

The pound is down quite a bit against the dollar with a whole lot of uncertainty floating around now. Think this is this likely to hurt WDW attendance even more for the remainder of the year? Is this enough to create a noticeable drop in crowds similar to the lack of Brazilians currently?
#DisneyTwitter seems to think brexit was a bad thing for the UK; therefore it must be good.

ABQ

If the pound stays lower, it'll be cheaper for us Americans to go to London. Give and Take. Congrats to England for deciding to be a country and not just another state with a federal overlord.
You mean Great Britain, as England is still another state of the United Kingdom, only its federal overlord is a queen or prime minister, I suppose. As much as I try, it confuses me.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I don't think it will have an impact on WDW... yet. The effects are just beginning with the pound dropping, world stock markets dipping, and the price of oil crashing. Northern Ireland is now beginning to look into having a reunification vote with Ireland, and Scotland is looking at putting another vote out next year to leave the UK (both N. Ireland and Scotland voted to stay in the EU). If both countries leave, the UK will simply become Great Britain, and will need a new flag. This will have an effect on the UK pavilion at Epcot, because while it mostly focuses on England, there have been references to Scotland in the past (not so much with N. Ireland and Wales, if I remember correctly).

Will this effect WDW within the next few months? Probably not. As it's been mentioned, most visitors will have already bought their tickets and booked rooms. For the future though, we'll have to wait and see.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
It's the great unknown. It could work out very well for the UK (I think it will) or the UK can crash in burn and come crawling back to the EU (unlikely). As for the affect on WDW as stated above this year is most likely bought and paid for so visitors coming over will remain the same. Sales once on property may be lower with a weaker pound to us dollar. Next year is up in the air. I would say because of economic, governmental, and personal uncertainty our UK friends will stay home. How many? TBD. This said if the UK can pull it together and stabilize or show leadership the next few months announce a few solid trade deals the pound will recover and confidence will return. If this happens maybe 2-3 soft years for UK attendance IMO. Obviously if the UK fails then it will be alot longer... but again I have faith in our friends across the pond =)

FrankLapidus

It's the great unknown. It could work out very well for the UK (I think it will) or the UK can crash in burn and come crawling back to the EU (unlikely). As for the affect on WDW as stated above this year is most likely bought and paid for so visitors coming over will remain the same. Sales once on property may be lower with a weaker pound to us dollar. Next year is up in the air. I would say because of economic, governmental, and personal uncertainty our UK friends will stay home. How many? TBD. This said if the UK can pull it together and stabilize or show leadership the next few months announce a few solid trade deals the pound will recover and confidence will return. If this happens maybe 2-3 soft years for UK attendance IMO. Obviously if the UK fails then it will be alot longer... but again I have faith in our friends across the pond =)

I think and fear your faith is horribly misplaced.

Disney.Mike

In the long run this will be great for the British. They have several hundred years experience as a sovereign nation, I think they can manage.

They will no longer have Brussels dictating their laws. This is a win for regular British people.

I think this downturn of the pound will be over in weeks, not months.

Personally I am going to invest in it

RiceCrispyMickey

As someone from the UK I don't think even the brexit campaigners expected to win - it has come as a total shock in defiance of all polls etc. Thats why there has been such a bad reaction to it today in the markets and with the £ falling so much. Once the initial panic response goes, it'll recover somewhat. Personally I voted in and i'm not sure how things will pan out in the long term now, but I can't imagine it will stay as bad as it is today. Also - nothing will keep me away from Disney even if I have to live on ramen noodles for the rest of my life!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
As someone from the UK I don't think even the brexit campaigners expected to win - it has come as a total shock in defiance of all polls etc. Thats why there has been such a bad reaction to it today in the markets and with the £ falling so much. Once the initial panic response goes, it'll recover somewhat. Personally I voted in and i'm not sure how things will pan out in the long term now, but I can't imagine it will stay as bad as it is today. Also - nothing will keep me away from Disney even if I have to live on ramen noodles for the rest of my life!
I am with you on this.I think it will stabilise and by the time the UK leaves the EU then it will be pretty much back to normal.Personally i couldn't vote ( crown dependancies were not considered important)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom