Effect of Brexit on WDW attendance?

SorcererMC

Please keep in mind that an overnight 10% drop in the Sterling/Dollar exchange rate is unprecedented. It is just the first fallout from Brexit. The important question is: How will Brexit affect consumer sentiment?

British politicians opposed to Brexit have been painting a bleak picture for months. Now the pound plummets immediately after the vote. The consensus is that the pound will fall a bit further, and that Britain is in for rough economic times ahead.

As I posted on another thread, Disney Parks & Resorts revenue tends to be a trailing indicator of difficult economic times:

View attachment 148223

Brits today might say, "I'm going to Disney World." Historically, that sentiment will change if Brexit drags the British economy down.

Thanks for posting that here as well. And accompanying explanation tailored to this thread.

Last edited:

katie123

With the exception of 2011, we have been to WDW every year since our first visit in 2009. We have noticed a considerable increase in the cost of WDW packages (we stay on site) as well as significant increases in flight costs year on year. All the cost saving measures made by Disney since 2009 have also been highly noticeable year on year, and whilst not impacting specifically on cost, means you are acutely aware of getting less value for money!.
As well as this, we have had a clamp down in the last two years on head teachers having 'discretion' to grant up to ten days leave in term time, which has hit many British families in the pocket- (the savings on airfare by having kids miss just a couple of days of school was huge- we saw air prices for four of us vary from £2.3K to £4.2K for example just a few days apart around school holiday schedules!)
For us, we are already considering the frequency of visits due to the above factors -which have occurred regardless of the decision of whether or not to remain in the EU.
Whilst Brexit may have an impact in the short term whilst the economy settles, i don't think this in itself will be enough to keep people away. A combination of all the other factors will probably have more on an impact!

Obobru

We were going to visit WDW next year but I have scrapped our plans this weekend as we plan to make bookings. We have decided to go to Tokyo Disney instead. A number of reasons have influenced this...
The uncertainty of the exchange rate due to the brexit
Increasing costs as WDW
Japans weakening economy may benifit us next year
Not been to Tokyo for a few years
Uncertainty around the American elections
Terrorism

We have annual passes for Paris but haven't been for over 6mths as last time we went into Paris it was over run with aggressive gangs of guys and made it very unpleasant.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Please keep in mind that an overnight 10% drop in the Sterling/Dollar exchange rate is unprecedented. It is just the first fallout from Brexit. The important question is: How will Brexit affect consumer sentiment?

British politicians opposed to Brexit have been painting a bleak picture for months.
Now the pound plummets immediately after the vote. The consensus is that the pound will fall a bit further, and that Britain is in for rough economic times ahead.

As I posted on another thread, Disney Parks & Resorts revenue tends to be a trailing indicator of difficult economic times:

View attachment 148223

Brits today might say, "I'm going to Disney World." Historically, that sentiment will change if Brexit drags the British economy down.

If Brits dont come it may be because WDW is seen as so last year.

Goofyernmost

Ironically one of the reamian leading artists confirmed this morning that as speculated the wasteland vision was over egged to scare voters (marr show if youre interested). If I could be bothered ID drag out the EUs numbers that forecast 1%, OK bad enough but please spare us the Rita Hayworthesque end of the world stuff. Nice piece circulating on FB with Italian economist too. Im sure the usuall suspects in the colonies will try to carpet bag and maximise the discontent, but hey ho. Youll have your own troubles soon enough.

If Brits dont come it may be because WDW is seen as so last year.
Just curious... what would the Brits consider "this" year to be? What is the latest in desired destinations?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just curious... what would the Brits consider "this" year to be? What is the latest in desired destinations?

The trend was I believe to the North African resorts for short haul, but that has crashed as has Turkey. The old faithfuls of Spain and the associated islands as well as Greece have returned in popularity. On long haul, Thailand, Dubai and Mexico. In the US California is becoming increasingly popular, marketing on par with the Disney brand. Oh and Vegas, but that tends to be 5 - 7 days rather than the normal 14 day UK break.
I cant find the article but it was in some travel supplement about "turning their backs on Florida" pretentious carp but to some that counts.

Should say they are forecasting big rise in staycations, holidays in UK, this year, god knows why it costs a bloody fortune.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Judging by a lot of the adverts that would be Florida. Mix of Uni and Disney seem to run regular. Amusingly enough one company is adverusing FP+ as a bonus if you book through them :confused:

Jon81uk

I've already booked and paid for Disney, but I was hoping the dollar rate would improve following the referendum and I was obviously wrong. So the biggest change for me is I will probably not be able to buy as many trainers (sneakers) at Premium Outlets as my pounds won't get as many dollars as last time I went to Florida.

BOOMitsGeorgia

won't make a difference. The pound will be back up again soon. Leaving the EU won't make a difference to my trips to WDW.
I'm happy UK are leaving the EU (yes I voted leave, no comments calling me racist/old/uneducated/unemployed please - had enough of that now)

ShazzyBoo

I thought of something else that I forgot to add earlier. We are staying on site at All Star Movies. We get 1 quick service meal free a day with this. We are now re-doing our sums to see if upgrading our dining plan is now worth it. It wasn't previously - but now with the pound falling, and the price of the upgrade not being increasing (yet?) its looking more attractive.

Jon81uk

I thought of something else that I forgot to add earlier. We are staying on site at All Star Movies. We get 1 quick service meal free a day with this. We are now re-doing our sums to see if upgrading our dining plan is now worth it. It wasn't previously - but now with the pound falling, and the price of the upgrade not being increasing (yet?) its looking more attractive.

Disney UK almost cetainly won't change their prices for 2016. I would expect if you see a price in £s it won't change, so it might be advatageous to pre-pay dining in £s rather than pay cash in $s as you say.

bstiles

Just got back from a long weekend trip to the world and I can tell u something is going on with attendance. Wait times for most attractions were only 15 minutes standby and the night parade had empty spots all over the place back in frontierland. Even at the end of the day the emporium was essentially empty no scooters or double strollers to trip over. It felt like it was truly off season not a typical busy summer day. I also noticed most of the attendance was made up of Americans.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Just got back from a long weekend trip to the world and I can tell u something is going on with attendance. Wait times for most attractions were only 15 minutes standby and the night parade had empty spots all over the place back in frontierland. Even at the end of the day the emporium was essentially empty no scooters or double strollers to trip over. It felt like it was truly off season not a typical busy summer day. I also noticed most of the attendance was made up of Americans.

lucky you!

ShazzyBoo

Disney UK almost cetainly won't change their prices for 2016. I would expect if you see a price in £s it won't change, so it might be advatageous to pre-pay dining in £s rather than pay cash in $s as you say.

This is what I am hoping. I phoned Disney and they told me that I can add it on up to five days before our arrival date. So I can wait and see if the situation improves before September. Currently, we would be saving about £80 by taking the dining plan. I'm not sure that saving is enough to warrant the downsides (need to take a dessert, not starter; can't substitute your soft drink for part of the cost of an alcoholic drink; etc.)

danniyell

Yay! Alton Towers here we come!

I wouldn't bother going to Alton Towers, if you want a lovely experience, I have to say its the worst experience I have ever had - I was there this weekend and it was pitiful!! seriously the attendants were rude and the atmosphere was bleak - it was a Saturday and the weather was lovely - no rain and there was hardly any queues for the rides at all...I think the Smiler Crash ahs hit the park hard and there is no give up with 250+jobs on the line at the moment.

danniyell

I don't think that this is going to have a huge impact - but if there is a slight decrease then surely that could be a good thing for those going...I would imagine that there is a potential bonus of Disneyland Paris taking some increase?? Being closer and all.

I personally don't believe that it will have too much of an impact - the pound is not that much lower than what it was prior to the referendum and its going back up steadily at the moment. The last few years have been really very very tough - but there is hope for the future. Everything will stabilise before then.:)
If EU becomes one - and Brussels rules all the other countries with its policies and ideas - there will be more EU member states that choose to push to leave the EU - such as Finland and France.:p
I was shocked by an American newsreader when watching the news recently on Brexit - that didn't realise that Northern Ireland was a member of Great Britian and believed that Tony Blair was obviously still our Prime Minister - as they called him ' Mister Prime Minister' every time they asked him a question... :confused:

Im a DVC Member so its not really going to impact me. I have my stay for 2017 booked - just flights/tickets to buy and then the money to save....I will be going again in 2018 and will keep on as normal.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I don't think that this is going to have a huge impact - but if there is a slight decrease then surely that could be a good thing for those going...I would imagine that there is a potential bonus of Disneyland Paris taking some increase?? Being closer and all.

I personally don't believe that it will have too much of an impact - the pound is not that much lower than what it was prior to the referendum and its going back up steadily at the moment. The last few years have been really very very tough - but there is hope for the future. Everything will stabilise before then.:)
If EU becomes one - and Brussels rules all the other countries with its policies and ideas - there will be more EU member states that choose to push to leave the EU - such as Finland and France.:p
I was shocked by an American newsreader when watching the news recently on Brexit - that didn't realise that Northern Ireland was a member of Great Britian and believed that Tony Blair was obviously still our Prime Minister - as they called him ' Mister Prime Minister' every time they asked him a question... :confused:

Im a DVC Member so its not really going to impact me. I have my stay for 2017 booked - just flights/tickets to buy and then the money to save....I will be going again in 2018 and will keep on as normal.
Have you even noticed that we refer to our past presidents as Mr. President? Common protocol.

biggy H

If anything it might persuade some who where going to stay off site next year to now stay on site and take advantage of the free dining.

Lucky

Northern Ireland is not "a member of Great Britian" or even of Great Britain. It is part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

Filby61

CNN: Brexit crash wiped out a record $3 trillion. Now what?

A record $3 trillion was wiped out from global markets on Friday and Monday. That means more money was vaporized as a result of the Brexit crash than in any previous two-day period ever, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.

Friday's losses of $2.1 trillion were already the heaviest suffered in a single market day, eclipsing the $1.9 trillion that was erased on September 29, 2008 when the U.S. Congress infamously voted down the Wall Street bailout.

The larger losses in the Brexit rout partly reflect the fact that markets are retreating from higher levels these days.

The Brexit pain deepened on Monday as the Dow slumped another 300 points and European stock markets shed 2% or more....

Color me wacky, but I suspect that more and more people are going to feel that spending money at an overpriced Disney theme park, to see the same things they've seen before, isn't such a high priority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom