Effect of Brexit on WDW attendance?

PaulaT

I was wondering what / why the drop in brazilian tourist? Did I miss something or is it because of the olympics? ---Not that I'm complaining cause that is the one downside for my family visiting in summer

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I was wondering what / why the drop in brazilian tourist? Did I miss something or is it because of the olympics? ---Not that I'm complaining cause that is the one downside for my family visiting in summer

Probably both. Since July is their winter school break and they definitely will be preoccupied in August, no roaming bands of minimally supervised teenagers.....

And by the time the Olympics are over, they'll be back in school.

SorcererMC

Unless markets continue to panic and go down like they did Friday, this should have no impact.

If markets do keep falling, people will have less money to spend on Disney.

I personally think Friday was an overreaction as this decision seems political for the most part.

Stocks lost quite a bit of value Friday, hurting portfolios.

Overreaction, yes. My take on it is that the markets have been decoupled for awhile from 'real world' events (maybe that's why Iger seems to have his head in the clouds? I don't know if he is oblivious, insulated, or just trying to present a rosy picture for Disney long-term.)....which is historically atypical. The post-WWII Bretton Woods system/order of sustained intl cooperation is at risk. This singular event is a game-changer. I think that the global economy is in for a long stretch - maybe 2 years - of political and economic instability aka uncertainty which is terrible for markets. I'm hoping that the weekend will settle the markets as much as possible....the sooner that adjustments can be made, better for everyone.

EngineJoe

Tracker was saying there's a bunch of brazilans at Epcot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't think this subject is being taken nearly as seriously as it should be..
Oh, it is now. It's a disaster. A lot of those who voted leave are now coming to terms with what's happened and how vague promises about what great things would happen seem to have been political spin and aspiration as opposed to facts.

On top of everything else half the shadow cabinet (the opposition party) are about to quit this morning. And we will have no elected leader in a few months.

As opposed to vacationing you might get more English wanting to emigrate!

ShazzyBoo

I'm Scottish and we are coming to Disney World in September. As many have already said, our holiday is booked and paid for so we are still going.

However, things like meals etc. will now cost us more than what we budgeted for. These are things that we have to pay for anyway so will just need to accept that it will cost more.

Our spending money however is something that we are not going to increase. So this will mean we will be spending less in the parks and at malls etc.

We are also going to California/Las Vegas next June. Thankfully, I have already booked all our accommodation for this trip too. So this will still be going ahead unless the flights (when they are released) are significantly more expensive than we anticipated.

I'm not hopeful that the pound will recover much between now and the start of September. I am kicking myself that I didn't exchange our spending money on Wednesday night. However, I never in a million years thought that this would happen. I in fact told my family not to exchange money because "following the vote to remain the exchange rate will be better". Famous last words :)

SorcererMC

So this will still be going ahead unless the flights (when they are released) are significantly more expensive than we anticipated.

The focus has been on banks' exposure/ losses, but just to point this out, since its relevant to UK tourists:
'The travel industry was also battered by worries that the Britain-EU divorce will hit business. Hotels, travel agencies and airlines all fell sharply, with Air France down 10.0 per cent, Lufthansa 9.2 per cent and American Airlines 10.8 per cent.' (AFP article on Yahoo https://www.yahoo.com/news/pound-plunges-first-results-show-strong-brexit-vote-010954344.html )

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Oh, it is now. It's a disaster. A lot of those who voted leave are now coming to terms with what's happened and how vague promises about what great things would happen seem to have been political spin and aspiration as opposed to facts.

On top of everything else half the shadow cabinet (the opposition party) are about to quit this morning. And we will have no elected leader in a few months.

Yes 1 million 400 thousand got it wrong by accident. Remind me again what the turn out was for London Mayor?
Pathetic, feel free to play the race card isnt that SOP now? Off to my bunker to shelter from WWIII and the impending asteroid strike.

Pumbas Nakasak

The focus has been on banks' exposure/ losses, but just to point this out, since its relevant to UK tourists:
'The travel industry was also battered by worries that the Britain-EU divorce will hit business. Hotels, travel agencies and airlines all fell sharply, with Air France down 10.0 per cent, Lufthansa 9.2 per cent and American Airlines 10.8 per cent.' (AFP article on Yahoo https://www.yahoo.com/news/pound-plunges-first-results-show-strong-brexit-vote-010954344.html )

You do know the markets closed on a two week high. Go figure.

SorcererMC

You do know the markets closed on a two week high. Go figure.
I'm aware that there has been some market volatility leading up to this vote, and that historical benchmarks matter. Going forward, the EU travel/ tourist industry is likely to 'suffer; at the very least, it will hit consumers wallets.

ETA: I also remember July-Sept 2007 when the first cracks started showing and no one was really concerned about the weaknesses in the housing market. So, yeah, go figure.

Nevertheless, the current state of monetary policy (both ECB and Fed) means that there is very little room to maneuver.

Last edited:

Nubs70

I'm Scottish and we are coming to Disney World in September. As many have already said, our holiday is booked and paid for so we are still going.

However, things like meals etc. will now cost us more than what we budgeted for. These are things that we have to pay for anyway so will just need to accept that it will cost more.

Our spending money however is something that we are not going to increase. So this will mean we will be spending less in the parks and at malls etc.

We are also going to California/Las Vegas next June. Thankfully, I have already booked all our accommodation for this trip too. So this will still be going ahead unless the flights (when they are released) are significantly more expensive than we anticipated.

I'm not hopeful that the pound will recover much between now and the start of September. I am kicking myself that I didn't exchange our spending money on Wednesday night. However, I never in a million years thought that this would happen. I in fact told my family not to exchange money because "following the vote to remain the exchange rate will be better". Famous last words :)
I'm going to Glasgow in August. Trip s looking bit cheaper.

Pumbas Nakasak

I'm Therethat there has been some market volatility leading up to this vote, and that historical benchmarks matter. Going forward, the EU travel/ tourist industry is likely to 'suffer; at the very least, it will hit consumers wallets.

ETA: I also remember July-Sept 2007 when the first cracks started showing and no one was really concerned about the weaknesses in the housing market. So, yeah, go figure.

Nevertheless, the current state of monetary policy (both ECB and Fed) means that there is very little room to maneuver.

The terrorist attacks arent a factor in dissuading people to travel? The rioting in Greece isnt a factor dissuading people to travel, the unrest in Egypt and North Africa isnt a factor in dissuading people to travel? There are many issue across the globe affecting travel its disingenuous at best, deceitful at worst to use Brexit as a factor in them all.
Oh and lets chuck the austerity measures in that good old Gideon, remain luvvie, has imposed on us plebs. Got to pay that EU extra funds tab some how.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Oooh boy I don't envy the Mods jobs with the current threads and serious discussions as of late. We should all pitch in for a bottle of wine for them.

Wow, that's even worse than I had thought. :/

SorcererMC

The terrorist attacks arent a factor in dissuading people to travel? The rioting in Greece isnt a factor dissuading people to travel, the unrest in Egypt and North Africa isnt a factor in dissuading people to travel? There are many issue across the globe affecting travel its disingenuous at best, deceitful at worst to use Brexit as a factor in them all.
Oh and lets chuck the austerity measures in that good old Gideon, remain luvvie, has imposed on us plebs. Got to pay that EU extra funds tab some how.
By all means, those events are a factor...but the markets haven't been reacting as strongly to them. [Intl terrorism is my primary area of expertise, and I don't want to start that conversation again, so I won't say more. Intl econ is my second. ] I'm saying how the Brexit and currency fluctuations will potentially affect the EU tourist industry - at this point in time, based on the available information (which is subject to change).

SorcererMC

Thats what I love about this site, there is no subject on earth that we dont have an expert on.
I pretty much jumped out of the woodwork since these issues are now impacting WDW. I really don't like that my professional interests and personal hobby have collided. You don't have to believe or agree with anything I say - I neither risk nor gain anything by posting anonymously on a msg board. I am enjoying the discussions and different points of view - that's what I'm here for, others' insight and perspective that I might not have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom