Trip Report Disneyland Forever! July 2016

Hello! Welcome to another trip report by me! A little backstory...last year hubby (Brad) and I (Amy) bought Premier Passes that cover both Disneyland and WDW, we bought them in Disneyland. We have been lucky (or crazy) enough to be able to use them a lot. So as the passes were coming in on their expiration date we decided to sneak in one last trip to Disneyland, as a way to make it a complete circle of start to end on our passes. (If you are interested and haven't read them yet I've done a few trip reports this year, they are pretty rockin' if you want to go back and read them!;))

We went to Disneyland from July 24-July 29 (actually getting home on the 30th). So we left on Sunday the 24 on an afternoon flight. My husband had to work Sunday morning so we left later which is odd for us because we normally leave super early (first flight of the day) and come back on the last possible flight of the day.

As you can see the airport was pretty empty when we arrived. On our last trip to WDW we upgraded as a present to each other to first class. Apparently hubby has gotten fond of first class because he did it again for us, I'm not complaining as I like the extra room and drinks!
IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

Here's us on the plane!
IMG_2469.JPG

A little coffee and Bailey's for me and a rum and Coke for hubby!
IMG_2471.JPG

A couple of pictures out the window as we approach Los Angeles.
IMG_2472.JPG

Unfortunately, you can also see some of the wildfires in these two pictures.
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG

Finally we have landed!
IMG_2482.JPG

Once we landed we had to get to Disneyland. For the second time, we hired a Lansky car service. Their service is excellent. We did not plan to go anywhere other than Disneyland so we didn't want to rent a car so this was a good option for us. I don't like that all the car rentals are off site at the airport it just seems to take forever to get going. I like that the driver meets us at baggage claim and is parked close by. Plus it is nice not to have to worry about driving and traffic. We also made a quick stop at a Target to get some water, seltzers, soda and light snacks for the time we were there.

I'm going to add some tags quick to some of the people I have seen following my trip reports before. I know I will forget some people, but everyone is welcome! @figmentfan423 @Gabe1 @Songbird76 @PacNWTigger @fractal @PUSH @JenniferS @BuddyThomas @MinnieM123 @MouseDreaming @MOXOMUMD @donaldtoo @betty rose

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think you and your husband should have a separate photo album devoted to the Dapper Dans! :) From your previous TRs, any time he takes a photo with the group, he looks so happy. (Love his t-shirt by the way. ) Too bad you live so far from both WDW and Disneyland; because if you were closer, I'm sure he'd like a side job as one of the Dapper Dans. He'd be perfect for the job! :happy:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think you and your husband should have a separate photo album devoted to the Dapper Dans! :) From your previous TRs, any time he takes a photo with the group, he looks so happy. (Love his t-shirt by the way. ) Too bad you live so far from both WDW and Disneyland; because if you were closer, I'm sure he'd like a side job as one of the Dapper Dans. He'd be perfect for the job! :happy:

We do have quite a few pictures with them. Maybe when he retires he can get a job ringing with them. He has sung with them twice now! Both times were at WDW and the same song Let Me Call You Sweetheart.

ScarletBegonias

Loving the TR so far! I know ZILCH about Disneyland but the more I see, the more laid back it looks and the more I want to visit! However, I'm on the east coast and it would probably be a pricey trip for us! Maybe one day!

Do the characters just wonder around? it looks like it!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Loving the TR so far! I know ZILCH about Disneyland but the more I see, the more laid back it looks and the more I want to visit! However, I'm on the east coast and it would probably be a pricey trip for us! Maybe one day!

Do the characters just wonder around? it looks like it!

Disneyland is a lot more chill than WDW, but I think it still involves a little planning. There are a few restaurants that I like to book ahead of time, just to know that I have a spot at a time I want. Some of the characters are wandering around, usually in the morning when it isn't as busy. The biggies like Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy have some planned and predictable spots. Just keep an eye out for airfare deals and stay at a Harbor Blvd hotel instead of a Disney hotel and that will cut the costs. Thanks for reading my report. :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So after the bees we decided to head over to Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel for lunch. thought it opened at 11 but they open at 11:30 so by the time we got over there we had about a 10 minute wait. There were a few people line up but not too many we were still able to get a table and there were still a few tables open.

We too the monorail over to the Downtown Disney stop and walked over from there to Disneyland Hotel.
IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

a look at the outdoor seating area of Trader Sam's.
IMG_1701.JPG

I love the inside atmosphere of Trader Sam's,. I love the tiki decorations and the music, not to mention the food and drinks!
I could probably just spend the whole day here.
IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

We both decided to get a zombie to drink. I was a little shocked that my husband, Mr. Rum and Coke branched out!
IMG_1710.JPG

I am trying on a zombie pose.
IMG_1713.JPG

We started with the PuPu Platter. Mostly because he wanted wings and I wanted the Chinese long beans and this seemed the way to go.
IMG_1721.JPG

And some one ordered a Krakatoa punch so the volcano erupted!
IMG_1722.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So after the bees we decided to head over to Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel for lunch. thought it opened at 11 but they open at 11:30 so by the time we got over there we had about a 10 minute wait. There were a few people line up but not too many we were still able to get a table and there were still a few tables open.

We too the monorail over to the Downtown Disney stop and walked over from there to Disneyland Hotel.
View attachment 160557

View attachment 160558

View attachment 160559

a look at the outdoor seating area of Trader Sam's.
View attachment 160560

I love the inside atmosphere of Trader Sam's,. I love the tiki decorations and the music, not to mention the food and drinks!
I could probably just spend the whole day here.
View attachment 160561

View attachment 160562

We both decided to get a zombie to drink. I was a little shocked that my husband, Mr. Rum and Coke branched out!
View attachment 160563

I am trying on a zombie pose.
View attachment 160564

We started with the PuPu Platter. Mostly because he wanted wings and I wanted the Chinese long beans and this seemed the way to go.
View attachment 160565

And some one ordered a Krakatoa punch so the volcano erupted!
View attachment 160566

That was a very lovely attempt at a zombie pose. :D

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A few more shots of around the inside.
IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

It's always nice to see the fun but slightly frightening tribute to Joe Rhode.
IMG_1747.JPG

Then it was time for another drink. I had a beer, but one I hadn't tried before and hubby went with his usual rum and coke.

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

I guess someone ordered a shipwreck.
IMG_1764.JPG

And then we got some sandwiches, I got the teriyaki chicken sandwich and hubby got a burger. The sandwiches were good but the fries were a tad disgusting, we didn't eat all of them. The grilled pineapple on the chicken was interesting.
IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So upon leaving Trader Sam's we did some shopping in Downtown Disney before heading back to the hotel for a nap (a little alcohol infused nap).
IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

These are a few shirts that I thought had a cool design, but I decided to be frugal and just take a picture .
IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

There was a really cool "window" in the World of Disney store.
IMG_2594.JPG

Then we had to go through security again to get to the esplanade to get back to the hotel. I do like the Cyprus trees in the area though.
IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG
IMG_2598.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After a rest back at the hotel we arrived about 30 minutes before the last show of the day of Tangled at the Fantasy Faire Theater. I love Tangled so this was a must see for me. While we waited at to get into the theater we could see a little of the Soundsational parade going by. The show was delayed a little because Rapunzel was a little late because she was in the Soundsational parade and was just a little slow getting back to the theater. ;)

The shows at this little theater are really well done. There is a little humor in the storytelling. We saw the Frozen one last year and there is a Beauty and the Beast one and we missed being able to see that by a minute. They closed off the theater entrance as we were getting a snack (right outside the theater entrance) and they wouldn't let us in even though there was a seat for both of us right next to the doorway. :( We could have stood outside and watched but the reason we had stopped to get a snack was that my blood sugar was super low and I felt terrible (I was seeing spots and dizzy) and didn't feel like I could stand the whole time. We ended up sitting in nearby Rancho del Zocalo until I felt better. Anyway we never made it back to the Beauty and the Beast one but maybe next time.

Anyway, so back to the Tangled show..... the Tangled show is well done. I do love Rapunzel, but I really love me some Flynn Rider (Eugene!)

IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1785.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1794.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A couple shots of the grand finale...
IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

We made our way over to New Orleans Square and ran into the Bootstrappers. They were fun to watch. I was a little sad that we were so close to the court of angels and couldn't see it (stupid Club 33ers ;)) .

IMG_1800.JPG

Then we checked into Cafe Orleans for dinner. While we had a short wait I snapped a couple pictures of the area.
IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

We had a nice view from our table and had a nice meal.
IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG

We got our standard order......we shared pomme frittes and an order of Monte Cristos. I like them without sugar, and I like to dip mine in ketchup or leftover remoulade. :hungry:
IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

All gone!:)
IMG_2604.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After dinner we wandered around New Orleans Square and Critter Country.

We walked up to the train station, and it was closed for the day but it was still nice to see the train in the station.
IMG_1814.JPG

It was time to see some Happy Haunts.
IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

A not so decent but best I could do picture of the hatbox ghost.
IMG_2625.JPG

There were some cool posters on the walls over by Splash.
IMG_1825.JPG

And someone was super happy (not) to ride Pooh.
IMG_1829.JPG

And no Splash for us. We don't like to get wet on rides. Plus the wait was like 80 minutes or something like that.
IMG_1833.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I really like all your pictures (as usual). I was intrigued by the ones you took of New Orleans Square. Since I've never been out to Disneyland, this is fun to see different themed areas that they have.

P.S.: Had a good chuckle over Brad's picture with the skeleton head cup on the table--so funny!! Very nice composition!! :joyfull:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We headed to Adventureland and went on the Jungle Cruise and visited some birds at the Tiki Room.
IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

On this trip I discovered the Orchestrion in the back of the Frontierland store and for only a quarter it will play a song (usually in length of around 2-2 1/2 minutes). It is fun to watch and listen to. I may have made a few recordings of it. There is also a free one in the Candy Palace but that only plays at certain times, I think it plays every 7 minutes.
DISNEYLAND JULY 2016 074.JPG
After a wild ride on Big Thunder we got a corn dog from the stage door cafe, it tastes like the ones on Main Street. Delicious. The mugs were also 2 for $10 and we both wanted a soda and the mugs were cute, so why not.
IMG_1852.JPG

Then we hung out at the hub for awhile and looked at the beautiful castle and relaxed on a bench.
IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Moving on to another day. We started at DCA today. Our plan was to head to the Racer's fast pass machine then to Soarin'. But a few minutes before rope drop they announced that Racer's was not going to open right away (didn't open for about a hour after open) so that mean that the fast passes would not be give. So we changed the plan and just headed right to Soarin'.

Here are a few pictures from open and rope drop.
IMG_1883.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

After Soarin' we checked the Racers fast passes, no luck, so we headed right to Tower of Terror. Then rode the Red Trolley back to Buena Vista Street to check on the Racer's fast pass and they were being distributed. So after securing that we went to Paradise Pier to Toy Story Mania.
IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

I was the winner!
IMG_1918.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After Toy Story we wandered back through Carsland and used a fast pass for Racers and then rode Luigi's Flying Tires.

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

I was riding with Carlotta.
IMG_1959.JPG

Even though this ride spins a little Brad loves this ride. It is cute.
IMG_1960.JPG

Then we went into the Animation Building. We love the big screens in the main area and watching the clips. We do miss the more cushy seating they used to have. But we only had a couple minute wait for Animation Academy, and we learned how to draw Donald Duck. Brad was pretty successful. My Donald, it looked like a demon Donald Duck. So I won't show you that, I don't want to scare or traumatize anyone.
IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1979.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A few more pictures of inside the Animation Building.
IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

We were going to watch the Newsboys and got a good spot near where they perform. And we were the only ones. We waited over tens minutes past the published showtime and the Newsboys never showed. So we decided to get some lunch and maybe see them at the next published time. So were went to have lunch at the Carthay Circle lounge. We found a spot at the lounge, which wasn't difficult there was only one other couple in there at the time. As soon as we ordered our drinks, we heard the music drifting in from the Newsboys show outside. They started the show late, it kind of ticked me off. But we had a lovely lunch at the lounge.
IMG_1995.JPG

I had a tequila rose to drink and it was excellent. I was nervous about the egg white foam but fabulous it was! I could have had a few, but they were also price.
IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2000.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Brad had a brandy alexander. It was different than ones back in Wisconsin, we usually make it with ice cream, this did not have ice cream. It was really tasty too.
IMG_2002.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG

We got the queso fundido to start with, and oh my it was amazing.
IMG_2004.JPG

We got these little tostado cups, they were good but they had a smidge of a frozen sorbet on it that was tasty but it was strange to have a frozen bit on the hot dish.
IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

Opps I was wrong on the name of my drink, it was a tequila daisy. I was close!
IMG_2009.JPG

For our last part of the meal we shared the flatbread, it had a meat on it I can't remember now and roasted garlic. This by far was my favorite.
IMG_2012.JPG

A little close up of it...
IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom