Trip Report Disneyland Forever! July 2016

Hello! Welcome to another trip report by me! A little backstory...last year hubby (Brad) and I (Amy) bought Premier Passes that cover both Disneyland and WDW, we bought them in Disneyland. We have been lucky (or crazy) enough to be able to use them a lot. So as the passes were coming in on their expiration date we decided to sneak in one last trip to Disneyland, as a way to make it a complete circle of start to end on our passes. (If you are interested and haven't read them yet I've done a few trip reports this year, they are pretty rockin' if you want to go back and read them!;))

We went to Disneyland from July 24-July 29 (actually getting home on the 30th). So we left on Sunday the 24 on an afternoon flight. My husband had to work Sunday morning so we left later which is odd for us because we normally leave super early (first flight of the day) and come back on the last possible flight of the day.

As you can see the airport was pretty empty when we arrived. On our last trip to WDW we upgraded as a present to each other to first class. Apparently hubby has gotten fond of first class because he did it again for us, I'm not complaining as I like the extra room and drinks!
IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

Here's us on the plane!
IMG_2469.JPG

A little coffee and Bailey's for me and a rum and Coke for hubby!
IMG_2471.JPG

A couple of pictures out the window as we approach Los Angeles.
IMG_2472.JPG

Unfortunately, you can also see some of the wildfires in these two pictures.
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG

Finally we have landed!
IMG_2482.JPG

Once we landed we had to get to Disneyland. For the second time, we hired a Lansky car service. Their service is excellent. We did not plan to go anywhere other than Disneyland so we didn't want to rent a car so this was a good option for us. I don't like that all the car rentals are off site at the airport it just seems to take forever to get going. I like that the driver meets us at baggage claim and is parked close by. Plus it is nice not to have to worry about driving and traffic. We also made a quick stop at a Target to get some water, seltzers, soda and light snacks for the time we were there.

I'm going to add some tags quick to some of the people I have seen following my trip reports before. I know I will forget some people, but everyone is welcome! @figmentfan423 @Gabe1 @Songbird76 @PacNWTigger @fractal @PUSH @JenniferS @BuddyThomas @MinnieM123 @MouseDreaming @MOXOMUMD @donaldtoo @betty rose

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So about an hour after landing we arrived at the Best Western, which isn't bad considering the travel distance from LAX and a stop at Target.

So a quick review of the Best Western Anaheim Inn....the staff was very friendly (front desk, housekeeping, and breakfast room). The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The pool, this had a lot of dead bugs in it and a lot of plant debris both in the pool and on the pool deck. The plant stuff I couldn't really figure out as there weren't many plants around. And the pool was tucked in between part of the building and facing the parking lot. We didn't go here for the pool and if you want a nice pool you might want to pick somewhere else. We did stay here a couple years ago and the bugs in the pool was my issue then too. The breakfast room was nicely decorated with seating on the balcony as well as lots of seating inside, and the food was decent and a nice option to have. In the end we enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

Here is a few pictures of our room.
IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

You can see the breakfast area balcony in the picture.
IMG_2394.JPG

Here is a picture from the Disneyland side of the street taken one day when we were walking back to the room. (You can see a corner of the DIsneyland side on the left.) The BW Anaheim Inn is in between the trees on the right side, so that gives you an idea on proximity to the parks.
IMG_1435.JPG

Some cool signs in the lobby for the ongoing 60th Celebration to get us fired up (not like I really need it).
IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

betty rose

So about an hour after landing we arrived at the Best Western, which isn't bad considering the travel distance from LAX and a stop at Target.

So a quick review of the Best Western Anaheim Inn....the staff was very friendly (front desk, housekeeping, and breakfast room). The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The pool, this had a lot of dead bugs in it and a lot of plant debris both in the pool and on the pool deck. The plant stuff I couldn't really figure out as there weren't many plants around. And the pool was tucked in between part of the building and facing the parking lot. We didn't go here for the pool and if you want a nice pool you might want to pick somewhere else. We did stay here a couple years ago and the bugs in the pool was my issue then too. The breakfast room was nicely decorated with seating on the balcony as well as lots of seating inside, and the food was decent and a nice option to have. In the end we enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

Here is a few pictures of our room.
View attachment 156904

View attachment 156905

You can see the breakfast area balcony in the picture.
View attachment 156907

Here is a picture from the Disneyland side of the street taken one day when we were walking back to the room. (You can see a corner of the DIsneyland side on the left.) The BW Anaheim Inn is in between the trees on the right side, so that gives you an idea on proximity to the parks.
View attachment 156906

Some cool signs in the lobby for the ongoing 60th Celebration to get us fired up (not like I really need it).
View attachment 156908

View attachment 156909
Loving your trip report.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay, so we dropped our bags off in the room and organized for a couple minutes and then it was time to hit the parks for the rest of the afternoon/evening!

After tearing up with happiness to be back I managed to get a decent shot of the train station. I loved that even though the trains weren't running because of construction the trains were still at the Main Street and New Orleans station for people to explore (more on that later).
IMG_0604.JPG

Since hubby was wearing his Jungle Cruise shirt he wanted to do Jungle Cruise first which was fine with me because it is awesome! I hadn't noticed the laundry out to dry from the queue before so I thought that was a fun detail.
IMG_0607.JPG

Then we did the Haunted Mansion.
IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

Then time for dinner at the French Market. Cajun meatloaf for me and Jambalaya for hubby!
IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

Afterwards we listened to some jazz on the river, rode Big Thunder and the fireworks were going off while we were riding so finished watching them when we got off the ride.
IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After watching the fireworks, we were getting a little tired. So we wandered around towards Main Street after a tour on small world and decided to call it an early night. We did stop for awhile and sat on one of the beautiful benches in the hub of Main Street. I love that there are still benches in the hub at DL. I know why they got rid of them at the MK, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I like the Fantasy Faire area by the castle, it is enchanting at night.
IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

We did a quick stop in at the Candy Palace to check on something VERY important. When we were there in December there was no English toffee (it was a travesty) and no one could tell me if or when it was coming back. So I heard rumors that it was back, and it was!!! There may be 4 trays of this in my freezer (we brought 5 home).
IMG_2486.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday July 25, 2016
Even though our passes are park hoppers we spent the first two full days doing one park only, Disneyland one day and DCA the next. Anyway, this morning we were up bright and early and after breakfast we did our quick walk to Disneyland!

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

Then we were just waiting to get in. I let hubby pick the line and he picked a nice short one only about 8-10 people. At least it was short to start, the people in front of us kept having family/friends join them in line. About 10 people ended up joining them! :mad: And they all had the print tickets, which means you buy the ticket online at home, print the "pass" and then at the turnstile you present your pass, get a new ticket, get your picture taken and sign your pass. Ugh, I knew it was going to take forever. But as they opened the gates, a line nearby opened that only had a couple people so I jumped over to that. In the end we got through the turnstile and I took a picture of the train station and the lady that was at the front of the big group wasn't through the turnstile yet.
IMG_0670.JPG

Anyway, as we were waiting I just took some random shots and practiced to see how far my zoom would go and still take a decent picture.
IMG_0673.JPG

This is my best zoom picture, it is to Oswald's Gas station on Buena Vista street at California Adventure.
IMG_0678.JPG

Finally in and passing into Main Street! Since it wasn't rope drop yet we meandered down Main Street and visited with some old friends.

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Then it was tea cup time. I really like the view from the teacups at DL but they do not spin as freely as they do at WDW which is a big downer for me because I love to spin fast. So I end up not even trying to make them spin fast and just sit back and enjoy the view.
IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

Finally the Matterhorn is open!!
IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

And then a cruise around Storybookland.
IMG_0791.JPG

I think this is the most fun photo op they had set up for the 60th.
IMG_0803.JPG

Then just some wandering over by the castle.
IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

and Snow White's Grotto.
IMG_0826.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Then we rode down Main Street on the horse drawn trolley. The Main Street vehicles is something we really love about Disneyland, we love that they run a lot of the day.
IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

It was about 10 am now and we were ready for our breakfast reservation at Carnation Cafe. Yes we did have a little breakfast at the hotel, but it was just something to tide us over until this breakfast (which was also lunch). I like the dining area outside but we were seated inside. It was our first time inside and it was fine, but I like outside better.
IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

I had the country fried steak and hubby had the ham and cheese omelette.
IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

Breakfast was very good but we both like lunch/dinner at the Carnation Cafe better. But the breakfast we loved at Disneyland is gone (cinnamon roll french toast at the Riverbelle Terrace) so it is nice to have another option. And below is the outdoor eating area.

IMG_0854.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am soooo jealous. I have to admit that I was a little naughty though. I forwarded the pic you took of your meatloaf at the French Market to my DH...now he's been bit by the Disney bug, and trying to figure out how to fit in a trip soon. Oops...did I do that?? :angelic:

That's awesome! I've missed chatting with you, we should catch up soon! I hope you get to Disneyland again soon. We have our next trip to Disneyland planned. It won't be until next July, we are going over D23.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
As we wandered after breakfast we saw some other fun characters..

Flynn was practicing his smolder....
IMG_0876.JPG

Cinderella was searching for her prince. I had to make sure she didn't see Brad and try to whisk him away!
IMG_0863.JPG

Then we went on Hyperspace Mountain. I do like the Star Wars overlay, but I like the plain version better. And this Space is SO much better than WDW's.
IMG_0905.JPG

After Hyperspace Mountain hubby wanted to shop in Star Traders and I just relaxed and waited for him.
IMG_2516.JPG

And someone came out of Star Trader's with his own light saber of his own design.
IMG_2517.JPG

Then it was time to stop and smell the roses, or whatever flowers they are....
IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

As we headed out of the park, to have an afternoon nap break we saw a band at the Firehouse. That is something I really love about Disneyland, it always seems to have some music going on.
IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

And on the way out I just snapped a picture of this bench, it is so cute!
IMG_0920.JPG

betty rose

Okay, so we dropped our bags off in the room and organized for a couple minutes and then it was time to hit the parks for the rest of the afternoon/evening!

After tearing up with happiness to be back I managed to get a decent shot of the train station. I loved that even though the trains weren't running because of construction the trains were still at the Main Street and New Orleans station for people to explore (more on that later).
View attachment 156910

Since hubby was wearing his Jungle Cruise shirt he wanted to do Jungle Cruise first which was fine with me because it is awesome! I hadn't noticed the laundry out to dry from the queue before so I thought that was a fun detail.
View attachment 156911

Then we did the Haunted Mansion.
View attachment 156912

View attachment 156913

Then time for dinner at the French Market. Cajun meatloaf for me and Jambalaya for hubby!
View attachment 156914

View attachment 156915

View attachment 156916

Afterwards we listened to some jazz on the river, rode Big Thunder and the fireworks were going off while we were riding so finished watching them when we got off the ride.
View attachment 156917

View attachment 156918

View attachment 156919
Great pictures. Your meal looks fantastic!

betty rose

After watching the fireworks, we were getting a little tired. So we wandered around towards Main Street after a tour on small world and decided to call it an early night. We did stop for awhile and sat on one of the beautiful benches in the hub of Main Street. I love that there are still benches in the hub at DL. I know why they got rid of them at the MK, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I like the Fantasy Faire area by the castle, it is enchanting at night.
View attachment 156924

View attachment 156925

View attachment 156926

We did a quick stop in at the Candy Palace to check on something VERY important. When we were there in December there was no English toffee (it was a travesty) and no one could tell me if or when it was coming back. So I heard rumors that it was back, and it was!!! There may be 4 trays of this in my freezer (we brought 5 home).
View attachment 156927
Incredible photos, and candy, you can't beat that! I want!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom