Trip Report Disneyland Forever! July 2016

Hello! Welcome to another trip report by me! A little backstory...last year hubby (Brad) and I (Amy) bought Premier Passes that cover both Disneyland and WDW, we bought them in Disneyland. We have been lucky (or crazy) enough to be able to use them a lot. So as the passes were coming in on their expiration date we decided to sneak in one last trip to Disneyland, as a way to make it a complete circle of start to end on our passes. (If you are interested and haven't read them yet I've done a few trip reports this year, they are pretty rockin' if you want to go back and read them!;))

We went to Disneyland from July 24-July 29 (actually getting home on the 30th). So we left on Sunday the 24 on an afternoon flight. My husband had to work Sunday morning so we left later which is odd for us because we normally leave super early (first flight of the day) and come back on the last possible flight of the day.

As you can see the airport was pretty empty when we arrived. On our last trip to WDW we upgraded as a present to each other to first class. Apparently hubby has gotten fond of first class because he did it again for us, I'm not complaining as I like the extra room and drinks!
IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

Here's us on the plane!
IMG_2469.JPG

A little coffee and Bailey's for me and a rum and Coke for hubby!
IMG_2471.JPG

A couple of pictures out the window as we approach Los Angeles.
IMG_2472.JPG

Unfortunately, you can also see some of the wildfires in these two pictures.
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG

Finally we have landed!
IMG_2482.JPG

Once we landed we had to get to Disneyland. For the second time, we hired a Lansky car service. Their service is excellent. We did not plan to go anywhere other than Disneyland so we didn't want to rent a car so this was a good option for us. I don't like that all the car rentals are off site at the airport it just seems to take forever to get going. I like that the driver meets us at baggage claim and is parked close by. Plus it is nice not to have to worry about driving and traffic. We also made a quick stop at a Target to get some water, seltzers, soda and light snacks for the time we were there.

I'm going to add some tags quick to some of the people I have seen following my trip reports before. I know I will forget some people, but everyone is welcome! @figmentfan423 @Gabe1 @Songbird76 @PacNWTigger @fractal @PUSH @JenniferS @BuddyThomas @MinnieM123 @MouseDreaming @MOXOMUMD @donaldtoo @betty rose

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Anyway, to continue on with our meal.....It was a lovely meal (despite the guys shenanigans)

My exciting club soda.
IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

The table underneath the picture of Phil Collins on the right is where the guy had his "private" cell phone conversation.
IMG_1362.JPG

Time for bread....we didn't eat too much though because we had to save room for the signature biscuits.
IMG_1366.JPG

I love these biscuits. I actually thought about making these my only meal, or ordering some to go. If we had been headed back to the hotel right away I probably would have gotten some to go for a late night snack later. So if you haven't had them, what makes them so great? They are cheese filled pieces of fried dough. The cheese has some jalapenos and bacon in it. It is served with an apricot butter, which sounded gross to me but it adds just a hint of sweetness to the biscuits.
IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

I got the Carthay burger, as I was in a burger mood. There were a lot of fries I couldn't finish them all.
IMG_1373.JPG

Brad got some sort of fish, he said it was good.
IMG_1374.JPG

The main dining room.
IMG_1376.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Then after we finished eating I wandered around the restaurant and took some pictures. There are a couple little side rooms that can be used for bigger parties or private dining.

Also some of the tables have the evil queen from Snow White inlaid in the wood grain on the tables. I always mean to look around for it, as our table never seems to have it. I found a couple, one in the side rooms and one in the main dining room. Don't worry I didn't shove any diners aside to look at their tables! :)
IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

Here is a double inlay, like a mirror image. Mirror mirror on the wall.....
IMG_1380.JPG

On of the gorgeous side rooms.
IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG

Zipadeelady

A little coffee and Bailey's for me and a rum and Coke for hubby!

I had to laugh out loud when I read the beginning of your report. After you said you have written a few reports I wondered to myself If I read any of them. As I continued reading I came across the Rum and Coke!! :hilarious:

Your hubby is the Rum and Coke guy!! I thought it was so funny that you were trying all these new tasty drinks then you'd show a pic of hubby's Rum and Coke!

Can't wait to finish the report!

mikenatcity1

Then after we finished eating I wandered around the restaurant and took some pictures. There are a couple little side rooms that can be used for bigger parties or private dining.

Also some of the tables have the evil queen from Snow White inlaid in the wood grain on the tables. I always mean to look around for it, as our table never seems to have it. I found a couple, one in the side rooms and one in the main dining room. Don't worry I didn't shove any diners aside to look at their tables! :)
View attachment 157949

View attachment 157950

Here is a double inlay, like a mirror image. Mirror mirror on the wall.....
View attachment 157951

On of the gorgeous side rooms.
View attachment 157952

View attachment 157953 View attachment 157954

View attachment 157955 View attachment 157956 View attachment 157957 View attachment 157958

I think you have made me want to try Carthay Circle for lunch by the pictures and review!!!

mikenatcity1

Monday July 25, 2016
Even though our passes are park hoppers we spent the first two full days doing one park only, Disneyland one day and DCA the next. Anyway, this morning we were up bright and early and after breakfast we did our quick walk to Disneyland!

View attachment 156935

View attachment 156936

View attachment 156937

Then we were just waiting to get in. I let hubby pick the line and he picked a nice short one only about 8-10 people. At least it was short to start, the people in front of us kept having family/friends join them in line. About 10 people ended up joining them! :mad: And they all had the print tickets, which means you buy the ticket online at home, print the "pass" and then at the turnstile you present your pass, get a new ticket, get your picture taken and sign your pass. Ugh, I knew it was going to take forever. But as they opened the gates, a line nearby opened that only had a couple people so I jumped over to that. In the end we got through the turnstile and I took a picture of the train station and the lady that was at the front of the big group wasn't through the turnstile yet.
View attachment 156938

Anyway, as we were waiting I just took some random shots and practiced to see how far my zoom would go and still take a decent picture.
View attachment 156939

This is my best zoom picture, it is to Oswald's Gas station on Buena Vista street at California Adventure.
View attachment 156940

Finally in and passing into Main Street! Since it wasn't rope drop yet we meandered down Main Street and visited with some old friends.

View attachment 156941

View attachment 156942

View attachment 156943

View attachment 156944

Love how the characters seem to roam around (including Mickey) from time to time in Town Square :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So we left the Carthay Circle and headed over to the Hyperion Theater for the new Frozen musical stage show.
IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Our fast pass was for the Orchestra level, and we were pretty pumped about that since we have only sat near the top of this theater for Aladdin (we always walked in right close to show time and were directed up there). So we entered the fast pass area and joined the queue for our section and waited about 30 minutes in mostly shade. There were some nice views of the Tower of Terror and a couple fun signs to look at.
IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

I found it was interesting that they themed the doors for the theater for this Frozen show. Aladdin never got that royal treatment.....
IMG_1415.JPG

It was interesting that they were selling popcorn and drinks in the theater. I wanted to buy a water, I was really thirsty after being in some sun waiting to get in. But once I sat down, a drink person walked past me before I could say anything and vanished. I didn't see any more drink sellers but the popcorn and candy ones sure made the rounds.....
IMG_1416.JPG

A lot of the set was projections, but it was pretty cool (no pun intended).
The show overall was good. I am a little on Frozen burn out but the actors did a great job and we still can't figure out how they changed Elsa's dress right in the middle of the stage. (Sorry for the poor pictures, I used my phone and I was trying not to disturb others around me)
IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I wasn't really a fan of the song Fixer Upper until seeing this, now I find the song cute.
IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

The nice thing about being in the orchestra section, besides having a great upclose view or climb up lots of stairs, was that we were one of the first out of the theater. That also meant first into the closest bathroom! It's the little things like that as I get older I appreciate more and more!
IMG_1424.JPG

Then it was time for a little snack since we didn't get dessert at the Carthay. It was supposed to be a snack for the walk back to the hotel. And the cast member even said that the ice cream would be really hard, but as we bit into it the ice cream was soft. So luckily there was a shady bench to sit and eat the ice cream without slopping it all over ourselves (much).
IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

Then back the hotel for a late afternoon nap. So about 5 minutes after finishing the ice cream we were back at the room.
IMG_1432.JPG

Up next evening at DCA!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I had to laugh out loud when I read the beginning of your report. After you said you have written a few reports I wondered to myself If I read any of them. As I continued reading I came across the Rum and Coke!! :hilarious:

Your hubby is the Rum and Coke guy!! I thought it was so funny that you were trying all these new tasty drinks then you'd show a pic of hubby's Rum and Coke!

Can't wait to finish the report!

Yep he's the rum and coke guy! He is tried and true to his beverage choice. I mean he might mix it up with a Coke Zero but that's it! Although if we go to someplace like Trader Sam's he might get something different.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think you have made me want to try Carthay Circle for lunch by the pictures and review!!!

Love how the characters seem to roam around (including Mickey) from time to time in Town Square :)

I don't think you will regret trying the Carthay Circle, just remember to get the biscuits! The duck wings are good too, but they are pretty spicy! I like the roaming characters too, just one little thing that makes Disneyland special.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I was surprised that breakfast wasn't more busy, but there were a lot of tables always open. Maybe the summer crowds don't eat breakfast or something. We do like Sun Country, it usually has better prices than Delta and a better schedule. We have don't Spirit (but they nickle and dime everything) and Southwest (but there are usually stops places). We like that Sun Country is always nonstop flights to Orlando and Los Angeles, and Delta does a lot of nonstop flights too. And you are right Terminal 2 is so much better to fly out of. Although hubby likes Terminal 1 because there is a McDonald's. As long as there is a Caribou Coffee I'm fine at either. I take it you are located in the Twin Cities area then?
Southern MN so we fly out of MSP. The Sioux Falls airport is about the same distance away but it's usually more expensive (although I usually don't even check the prices because there's usually weird layovers).

mikenatcity1

I don't think you will regret trying the Carthay Circle, just remember to get the biscuits! The duck wings are good too, but they are pretty spicy! I like the roaming characters too, just one little thing that makes Disneyland special.

Thanks for the tip about the biscuits!!! We are staying at the Grand Californian (Disney Vacation Club) so we may take your idea about taking some to go!

BTW- the Frozen pictures were awesome! I have loved following your trip :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
So after catching some zzz's we headed back to DCA and after a spin on Racers we got some dinner at Flo's.

I thought about trying the roast beef and cheddar but I went with the but I went with the BBQ ribs that I have loved before. The ribs weren't as good this time, they had way too much sauce. And it came with a tiny serving of mashed potatoes and a huge amount of slaw that hubby forgot to swap out for mac and cheese when he ordered. Next time I'm getting the roast beef and cheese.
IMG_1439.JPG

Even though there was too much sauce on the ribs, it is tasty sauce. And it is for sale in the shop next to the Cozy Cone.
IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

Then we went and saw It's Tough to be a Bug. It was nice to sit in a seat and have the effects work. Whenever I see it at AK either the poker or the bug/butt effect doesn't work. I think the queue at DCA is kind of cool how it winds down into the theater.
IMG_1453.JPG

Then Brad wanted to meet Captain America and Spiderman before the Carsland lighting. Well we met them but we didn't get to see the lights come on in Carsland. We got in line in decent daylight and ended in the dark. The line was deceptively slow and ended up taking almost an hour. I am not a Marvel fan but Brad wanted to do it so I sucked it up. I should have gone to ride Monsters or Tower and came back for him. I will say that Captain America and Spiderman did spend a lot of time interacting with us. It was one of the better character experiences I've had in a long time.

IMG_1466.JPG
DISNEYLAND JULY 2016 048.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

We didn't do the dining package for World of Color at Carthay, and instead grabbed a fast pass earlier in the day. Our fast pass was for the yellow section (located by the Zephyr). World of Color Celebrate was a show that we have seen a fair amount of times, so we didn't feel the need to show up super early to get the "best" spot. When we showed up there was plenty of room off to the side by a rail so we snagged that space so we would have something to lean against. The view ended up okay. There was a little wind so that made the projections a little hard to see. I would have been upset if it had been our first time seeing the show, but I really enjoyed having a rail to lean against.

Our spot for World of Color
IMG_2558.JPG

I also enjoyed playing the interactive game on my phone. It was like the old Simon game.
IMG_2560.PNG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow. Very impressed with Carthay Circle--wonderful pictures! I'm unfamiliar with many of the details in Disneyland. You're sharing an inside look at all the cool things there with people like me who have never been to Disneyland. Looking forward to more of your TR! :happy:

Maybe you should make a journey out there for one of your solo trips. It would be tough to give up WDW but you might find it rewarding. I'm thinking of doing a solo trip out there this year over Easter instead of WDW this spring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom