Disney to begin testing an electric bus this summer

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The engines for Prius' have had issues with various mechanisms. The whole combo of Hybrid is a short term Lolable fad that is currently in. Hydrogen shall be the way of the future. More sustainable.

I agree. Hydrogen is the holy grail but it has 2 big problems that have yet to be overcome. Generation and storage. While you can find hydrogen everywhere it is almost always attached to something else. The easiest way to get it is to separate it from water, but it currently takes more energy to do this then you get out of it. Storage is another matter. We currently do not have a way of storing hydrogen that is practical for a car. They are getting better, but we are still a ways away from being practical.

The bottom line is the hybrids and battery powered cars might not be the end game, they are necessary steps to getting there.

Goofnut1980

Ok... Lets play apples to apples... Wouldn't over the long term just extending the Monorail system make more financial sense? I know it costs a lot of money to set up, but the wear and tear on the bus's and the roadway maintenance costs would have to outweigh the use of a monorail beam with a vehicle that produces little to no emissions. How long have we had the current monorail trains? They also hold many more people than a bus can at once.

I know it will never happen, but I would think it makes better sense. Not to mention less traffic.

PhotoDave219

Ok... Lets play apples to apples... Wouldn't over the long term just extending the Monorail system make more financial sense? I know it costs a lot of money to set up, but the wear and tear on the bus's and the roadway maintenance costs would have to outweigh the use of a monorail beam with a vehicle that produces little to no emissions. How long have we had the current monorail trains? They also hold many more people than a bus can at once.

I know it will never happen, but I would think it makes better sense. Not to mention less traffic.

Considering that there isn't any solid talk of replacing the existing 20+ year old trains, expansion is beyond a pipe dream

You raise a solid issue. With growing room occupancy and the new AoA resort, we've grown practically dependent on bus transportation as the only option to move the guests. We've gotten higher attendance and the bus fleet is growing as a result. Another result, increased At-Fault Bus accidents which Disney is freaking out about. (you have more buses in already crowded load zones with zero margins because of their design) There's a lot of bus traffic out there and its a problem.

Also, this company is primarily interested in quarterly profits and quarterly results. They could give a crap about long-term savings, they want short term results.

fillerup

Hydrogen storage is actually a huge problem. Since hydrogen is such a simple atom, it can seep through nearly any storage medium currently available, although there's lots of research going on to develop new and practical media.

In order to store quantities on board vehicles that allow a significant driving range, hydrogen has to be stored under extremely high pressure, which is not only dangerous but the pressurization is, in and of itself, very energy intensive.

Mammymouse

Hydrogen storage is actually a huge problem. Since hydrogen is such a simple atom, it can seep through nearly any storage medium currently available, although there's lots of research going on to develop new and practical media.

In order to stored quantities on board vehicles that allow a significant driving range, hydrogen has to be stored under extremely high pressure, which is not only dangerous but the pressurization is, in and of itself, very energy intensive.

Thank you for explaining why hydrogen is explosive. I've always heard the explosion factor was why hydrogen wasn't practical and now you've made clear the reason why.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I don't know why they don't turn the yesterdayland speedway into an electric car ride themed to Cars (maybe a very scaled down RSR) tied into Fantasyland with more theming and decor

I would have GM sponsor it and make it clean cars... Or demolish it... Or make it TRON. It should fit Tomorrowland and it should be a step in the direction of actually making Tomorrowland futuristic.

PeterAlt

Well, it's as big a leap as the extension of the monorail. (Sorry I had to bring it up again) The gap between experimental trial runs and reality is decades in the future. First the cost has to go down, because no matter what lip service people give the green environment, it's the green in there wallets that actually push the realities. Second it's the reliable power source. Environmentalist do not want coal, oil or wood fired generation because of air pollution. Wind power is out of the question...it is sight pollution. Water power is detrimental to fish and other aquatic creatures and Nuclear power will fry us all and, at the very least, make us sterile. Which when I think about it would solve all the problems. No people, no problem!

Funny, when I was a high school student in the mid 60's that thought was already on the table. It was not just cars though it was also your house would have a fuel cell that ran everything independently of any outside need. Bet you can guess what or who put the cabash to that little research project. Oil and electric companies would be the correct answer.
I was going to say exactly what you said about monorail expansion, but decided against it for fear that people will start to think we can do this as an alternative. It is an intermediate step, not an alternative.

PeterAlt

Thank you for explaining why hydrogen is explosive. I've always heard the explosion factor was why hydrogen wasn't practical and now you've made clear the reason why.
No, it is practical. They have figured out how to make it safe. There have been no explosions since they have started using it several years ago. The oil companies have been spreading falsities about it for very obvious reasons.

PeterAlt

Oh yeah. Heard from a friend that Transportation is flipping out over a rise in bus accidents over the past year.

Apparently, there are more bus vs bus accidents happen at night and in a load zone then anywhere else.
Another reason why the end goal must be fixed rail on separate grade.

PeterAlt

I'm conflicted about this. It's good to see that they're being more eco friendly, but now how are we expected to believe Electric bus drivers that there's a monorail expansion coming?
We can't. The immediate goal is no expansion. There are things that must be done before this can happen, such as modernizing and automating the current system, which they've said they are doing. So, after they've done that, expansion will be imminent.

PeterAlt

Commercial Hydrogen is made from Nat Gas in a dirty process and you lose energy going from Nat Gas to Hydrogen so it would be better to just use Nat gas. Actually EV's like the Tesla Model S are very quick because all their torque is available right off the line. Problem there is the average price of a Tesla Model S is $90 K.
In Iceland, the public bus system runs on hydrogen fuel. The fuel cells are charged with geothermal energy, tapping into the natural heat of tubes of volcanic lava.

Of course there are no volcanos in Florida. We do have, however the Gulf Stream. FAU has experimental turbines running deep in the Atlantic testing this energy source. So far, the test has been successful. They have theorized that, if fully deployed, the Gulf Stream can provide enough energy to power the entire state.

They need to really do this!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Hydrogen is actually less volatile and much safer the gasoline. If a hydrogen tank is pierced the hydrogen will rush out like a rocket, but it will not ignite without an ignition source. Since hydrogen is lighter than air it will quickly dissipate and be harmless. Even if there an ignition source the flame will be intense but over quite quickly.

Gasoline and diesel are a much different matter. Their flammable fumes are heavier than air and will remain on the ground for a good wile and spread over a larger area giving them a better chance to find an ignition source such as a sparking battery. Gas and diesel also seep into the ground, storm drains, etc when spilled making extensive and expensive cleanup necessary.

This video is very old, but is shows the drastic difference between propane, gas and hydrogen at about 1:20.

This video has a great example of how long gas fumes last and far and quickly they spread.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1 bus may not be anything to get excited about, but its a step in the right direction. Good move to at least consider this. Next step is to bring in the solar power. I brought this up in another thread but WDW has so many parking lots and rooftops that are prime locations for solar panels. The cost is coming down and the efficiency keeps increasing. Best part is they could partner with a company like the NFL teams did and not pay a dime for the installation.

Actually, we will probably see solar very soon at DLR since the CA market is much more solar friendly, but they seem to get everything first these days;).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
1 bus may not be anything to get excited about, but its a step in the right direction. Good move to at least consider this. Next step is to bring in the solar power. I brought this up in another thread but WDW has so many parking lots and rooftops that are prime locations for solar panels. The cost is coming down and the efficiency keeps increasing. Best part is they could partner with a company like the NFL teams did and not pay a dime for the installation.

Actually, we will probably see solar very soon at DLR since the CA market is much more solar friendly, but they seem to get everything first these days;).

DLR is geographically better for solar than WDW making a less efficient system work a little better there than it would in WDW. The price of electricity is also about 30% higher in California pushing the cost/benefit analysis more toward the "switch to solar" option.

LucyK

Good to know Disney is taking a step in the right direction. It's about time they do something about their CO2 emissions, specially with the amount of trips those buses do everyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom