Disney to begin testing an electric bus this summer

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
how is the electricity generated that is used to charge the electric buses?

Electric cars still have a lower CO2 output per mile than gas cars, even in areas that use coal for power generation. It gets better when electricity is generated through cleaner sources, but electric cars are still a net positive when they are not. The price per mile is also tends to be less expensive when using electricity.

alphac2005

Electric cars still have a lower CO2 output per mile than gas cars, even in areas that use coal for power generation. It gets better when electricity is generated through cleaner sources, but electric cars are still a net positive when they are not. The price per mile is also tends to be less expensive when using electricity.

And to think that the automobile business essentially started with electric vehicles, but cheap oil in Texas brought us to the dirty fuel bonanza. It's nice to see things moving in an electric direction with real, long-term promise. A friend of my wife just ordered a Tesla, so that will be very cool to see in action!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And to think that the automobile business essentially started with electric vehicles, but cheap oil in Texas brought us to the dirty fuel bonanza. It's nice to see things moving in an electric direction with real, long-term promise. A friend of my wife just ordered a Tesla, so that will be very cool to see in action!

I look forward to the day when I can ditch gas. It is still several years down the road for me (I am keeping our current cars until the wheels come off) but I really hope that my next car purchase it at worst a plug in hybrid like the Volt.

meyeet

Most of Central Florida's power is generated by natural gas plants, with a tiny bit of oil in some areas. Florida Power and Light does have some nuclear power feeding into the grid, too.
For cleaner emissions, nuclear is going to have to be a larger part of this country's energy production. Especially as more electric vehicles begin to hit the road.

PeterMarcus

For cleaner emissions, nuclear is going to have to be a larger part of this country's energy production. Especially as more electric vehicles begin to hit the road.

I agree in theory, but the regulatory headaches aren't making it cost effective for the power companies. After Japan, it's probably going to get harder, not easier, to build plants for a while. Even France, which is like 95% nuclear, is talking about replacing older nuclear plants with natural gas.

(EDIT: looked it up. France is 78.8% nuclear)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree in theory, but the regulatory headaches aren't making it cost effective for the power companies. After Japan, it's probably going to get harder, not easier, to build plants for a while. Even France, which is like 95% nuclear, is talking about replacing older nuclear plants with natural gas.

Nuclear is a tough sell. If all you do is look at the facts we would have a nuclear plant in every city. However, there is quite a bit of ignorance and emotion in the regulatory policies you mentioned. The world needs to take a good hard look at those regulations and revise them based on sound science as nuclear is the best option we currently have for large scale, somewhat green energy.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Nuclear is a tough sell. If all you do is look at the facts we would have a nuclear plant in every city. However, there is quite a bit of ignorance and emotion in the regulatory policies you mentioned. The world needs to take a good hard look at those regulations and revise them based on sound science as nuclear is the best option we currently have for large scale, somewhat green energy.

Nuclear meltdowns (and their kin) are one of those extremely low likelihood but disastrously high severity outcomes that present the toughest of all regulatory issues, primarily because measuring the cost (in money, lives, health, etc.) of the low likelihood/high-severity event is so difficult. I don't envy those that need to make those decisions.

Zman-ks

75.gif

Plus localized exhaust is reduced.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom