News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

TeriofTerror

I thought it smelt of Kippel. Going off on one with no comprehension of the facts.
Since everyone seemed to know this person but me, I wanted to research him a little before writing him off as a complete loon. Here is what I'm seeing as his last five posts on these boards. I did not cherry-pick at all:

You know, because of the ridiculously bad behavior that so many of you display on here (plus the fact that most of them go unpunished and remain free to continue their bullying), some of us would much rather read more positive stuff (including the so-called "corporate-approved" official blogs) than your overly-biased lies and obliviousness to reality!
You, sir, are completely wrong! :mad:
The Muppets are doing VERY well under Disney's ownership. And LOTS of good things have come out of it, such as the YouTube viral videos.

Don't start with that "real voices" nonsense, Pumpkin-Head7!

I strongly disagree on the new TV show. It was actually great and you're completely wrong about it, miss the point, don't get the jokes and ideas, etc.

That's not true. Marni and TheVisionarySoul are both liars and frauds! :mad:

Great Movie Ride is NOT being removed! Ignore them and their lies and propaganda, people! :mad:

You really are a sad, angry little man, aren't you?
People disagree with each other on these boards all the time. (Except @Mike S. We all love Mike ;).) Heaven knows people take umbrage with many of the things I say (and I'm not saying I may not occasionally deserve it). But there's never a need for the personal attacks that appear to be your bread and butter. I showed five posts above from you from December 2012 - now, and each of them are attacking someone. Nothing nice, nothing supportive, nothing even particularly useful or informative. Would it kill you to ♪try a little tenderness♪? I just think it might really help you -- not just here, but overall.
Edit: I apparently have some issues with the quote button, but I think I got them straightened out. :)

Bocabear

Since everyone seemed to know this person but me, I wanted to research him a little before writing him off as a complete loon. Here is what I'm seeing as his last five posts on these boards. I did not cherry-pick at all:

Besides, the Eisner/Pressler/Harriss dark ages ended years ago, so it's time to settle down!

People disagree with each other on these boards all the time. (Except @Mike S. We all love Mike ;).) Heaven knows people take umbrage with many of the things I say (and I'm not saying I may not occasionally deserve it). But there's never a need for the personal attacks that appear to be your bread and butter. I showed five posts above from you from December 2012 - now, and each of them are attacking someone. Nothing nice, nothing supportive, nothing even particularly useful or informative. Would it kill you to ♪try a little tenderness♪? I just think it might really help you -- not just here, but overall.[/QUOTE]
I honestly thought he was trying to be funny...wow when you bring up several posts at a time it does paint a picture of the person...lol

Mike S

It is feeling dated. Because it hasn't received a major update since 1989. Updating with new/different films and a different "plot" (to the extent one is needed), along with some new effects, would do the trick nicely.

As for the theme, GMR would fit any theme involving celebrating movies, Hollywood, or creativity. I have a hard time believing the park's theme will change so much that it wouldn't fit anymore.
The problem then becomes which movies do you put in and which do you remove. I have a feeling that whatever newer movie they would put in would purely be for synergy and marketing purposes.

People disagree with each other on these boards all the time. (Except @Mike S. We all love Mike ;).) Heaven knows people take umbrage with many of the things I say (and I'm not saying I may not occasionally deserve it). But there's never a need for the personal attacks that appear to be your bread and butter. I showed five posts above from you from December 2012 - now, and each of them are attacking someone. Nothing nice, nothing supportive, nothing even particularly useful or informative. Would it kill you to ♪try a little tenderness♪? I just think it might really help you -- not just here, but overall.
Edit: I apparently have some issues with the quote button, but I think I got them straightened out. :)
giphy.gif

DinoInstitute

The problem then becomes which movies do you put in and which do you remove. I have a feeling that whatever newer movie they would put in would purely be for synergy and marketing purposes
I think maybe only a few films need to be switched out, but honestly most movies in the ride are good choices, the scenes just need to be updated with modern effects, set pieces, and animatronics.
For the few they do switch they can just have similar themes, such as maybe Tarzan to The Jungle Book, Titanic could replace Casablanca, or The Searchers to some other Wild West movie, etc.

TeriofTerror

I think maybe only a few films need to be switched out, but honestly most movies in the ride are good choices, the scenes just need to be updated with modern effects, set pieces, and animatronics.
For the few they do switch they can just have similar themes, such as maybe Tarzan to The Jungle Book, Titanic could replace Casablanca, or The Searchers to some other Wild West movie, etc.
I like your overall premise, but if someone were to replace Casablanca with Titanic there would be blood. ;)

Biff215

It is feeling dated. Because it hasn't received a major update since 1989. Updating with new/different films and a different "plot" (to the extent one is needed), along with some new effects, would do the trick nicely.

As for the theme, GMR would fit any theme involving celebrating movies, Hollywood, or creativity. I have a hard time believing the park's theme will change so much that it wouldn't fit anymore.
Perfectly stated. If GMR goes, it will be a victim of cost cutting. WDW will be showing they prefer not to put money into a refurb and not build a new attraction that is badly needed as it would require even more staff.

I have no problem with an innovative new attraction based on Mickey, and although I do like GMR personally, I don't think any attraction should stick around forever getting stale. What bothers me here is you could have the best of both worlds in a park badly needing attractions and capacity. This could be a perfect "phase 3" once SWL is open, and could give new life to an area like Animation Courtyard.

I certainly understand that GMR is not a favorite of everyone, but that's not a good reason just to gut it and start over. The same could be said of many other "classic" Disney attractions, of which I would include GMR. As fans we should be looking for more offerings as opposed to replacements IMO. Trouble is Disney seems to believe the general public is perfectly fine with the latter, which is refreshing the parks without actually expanding them to accommodate today's growing crowds.

Matt_Black

Most of the films in the GMR are ones that are important in the history of cinema. Tarzan, over all, is FAR more important to popular culture than The Jungle Book.

Princess Leia

Most of the films in the GMR are ones that are important in the history of cinema. Tarzan, over all, is FAR more important to popular culture than The Jungle Book.
My biggest issue is that of all of the movies they could take out and replace, Tarzan's probably it. Maybe Casablanca (but that's a strong maybe, I love that movie). GMR covers Adventure with Indiana Jones. I'm not entirely sure what they would put in its place though. Maybe a comedy? The ride doesn't focus much on those.

DinoInstitute

I understand that, but the point was just to update it.
(Though the original JB I would say is a classic at this point, and with the ride's mantra being "the ultimate celebration of classic movies", it could work)

Matt_Black

I understand that, but the point was just to update it.
(Though the original JB I would say is a classic at this point, and with the ride's mantra being "the ultimate celebration of classic movies", it could work)

Tarzan is very much the prototype of every superhero. Furthermore, the only character that has had more media adaptations than Tarzan is Dracula, and that's because the latter is in the public domain.

Herbie

Titanic has always seemed like a worthy contender, although I'm unsure of how it would work... Tarzan looks rather cheap; and I'd be up for kicking Indy out in favor of his presence being elsewhere. Mary, too, though I'm conflicted on what could replace it. [I love her segment in the ride and presence within, in grand scheme of things, but she does deserve more]

Updating the brief 'horror' section would be enjoyed by me...

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Titanic has always seemed like a worthy contender, although I'm unsure of how it would work... Tarzan looks rather cheap; and I'd be up for kicking Indy out in favor of his presence being elsewhere. Mary, too, though I'm conflicted on what could replace it. [I love her segment in the ride and presence within, in grand scheme of things, but she does deserve more]

Updating the brief 'horror' section would be enjoyed by me...
Alien seems to cover both horror and scifi, so I've never understood the little horror segway into Tarzan. I'd be okay with the horror section going away, and more Indy going in that spot instead (idk, bring in Marian or something).

Titanic could probably fit where Casablanca is. The scene with Jack and Rose at the helm would probably be used.

And now we're back to Tarzan. Oh Tarzan. I understand how important to pop culture he is, but that's one of the most dated parts of the ride.

Also, updating the opening musical section of the ride would be a must (if they actually chose to keep the GMR).

Mike S

Mike, you always go out of your way to support people and find something nice to say. I'm quite sure pretty much everyone here would agree!
giphy.gif

Tarzan to Planet of the Apes. The original in which Rod Serling helped write the screenplay.
The subject of replacements in this ride will always be tricky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom