1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by TheVisionarySoul, Aug 2, 2016.

1. TheVisionarySoul

TheVisionarySoul Well-Known Member

I've heard from a very reliable source inside Turner that The Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal (Only a 3 year contract was signed) is not up for renewal. This was not a TCM Decision, it was Disney's. Evidently they have plans for a new attraction to take the location. The current ride will be shut down shortly after the deal ends and planning for a replacement attraction has already begun. Can anyone else speak about what this replacement attraction will be? PM me if you can't talk much about it. Personally I find it sad that Great Movie Ride is closing, but I can kind of understand why, the more I think about it.

2. PorterRedkey

PorterRedkey Well-Known Member

Please no! The is one of the last long form dark rides in the parks. The only one at Studios. I am heartbroken if this is true.

3. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

What did you expect from DIS these days...

4. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. I can feel a meltdown commencing but I'm going to wait until we get a solid confirmation before going into full blown meltdown mode :eek::eek::(:(

5. Biff215

Biff215 Well-Known Member

Not buying this one. If ToT is safe due to capacity concerns, I don't see them closing this before Toy Story and Star Wars opens. Has it even been three years yet?

6. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

Same as the GOTG TOT, I cant see them losing that much capacity right now. Maybe after Star Wars...

7. PorterRedkey

PorterRedkey Well-Known Member

I think the contract is up in 2018. The same time Toy Story is rumored to open I believe.

8. GhostHost1000

GhostHost1000 Well-Known Member

This would not surprise me...but only after other attractions open

9. prberk

prberk Well-Known Member

All those years waiting for them to remove the BAH so that we could get a clear shot again of the Chinese Theatre, just in time for them to put up Star Wars stuff anyway to block the view, as they did this summer with the silly Star Wars stage show. I am afraid that we should not be surprised. (It also comes after they made the announcement to completely re-theme ToT in DCA to be a mishmash of Guardians of the Galaxy in what is supposed to be a Hollywoodland area of their California park.)

Either they are re-theming the whole park (or most of it) away from old Hollywood, or they are probably going to break theme right there in the center. Who knows? But it does not give me confidence.

10. Biff215

Thought we had a little time. Even if Disney is declining to renew the contract now, I think it's a little premature to assume it's closing. There have been rumors about a replacement for years now, and plans most likely exist. I just can't see them making another significant investment until everything that has been announced is done. Seems we have at least 3-4 years for that to happen.

bethymouse likes this.
  11. TheVisionarySoul

TheVisionarySoul Well-Known Member Original Poster

Yeah, that makes sense. The sponsorship started in the first quarter of 2015. So early 2018 we will say goodbye to the Great Movie Ride.

12. TheVisionarySoul

I want to make it clear. Disney told TCM that the attraction is closing and being replaced. Nothing is being assumed here.

13. Biff215

Gotcha. I'm not questioning what you heard so much as the nightmare that closing one more thing at DHS would cause. Doesn't seem logical to me, but then again Phil is now running the show there. Will be interesting, thanks for sharing the info.

14. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

15. Jones14

Jones14 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... Is this the future site of the E-ticket @marni1971 was talking about? If it is, I found where the mixed feelings are coming from.

16. Bolt

Bolt Well-Known Member

I doubt Turners sponsorship was all that high value. Clearly it operated for years without one.

17. TheVisionarySoul

No worries. The only logic I can think of actually has to do with with WDW1974 said. If George K. actually prevented ToT from closing in Florida because of capacity concerns, maybe he knew that this attraction was closing too and that really is what convinced Bob.

ItlngrlBella and 71jason like this.
  18. IDInstitute

IDInstitute Well-Known Member

I can't.
    Not a single legitamate reason comes to mind.

19. IDInstitute

IDInstitute Well-Known Member

I feel like he's said it wouldn't be replacing a ride, though I may be misremembering.

Aliskaluv and holwgmr like this.
  20. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

I specifically said nothing about replacing a ride ;)