News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It won't be as jarring as walking down Main Street USA and seeing an almost 20 story castle from Cinderella.

And that is why the hub USED to have trees to provide a transition from turn of the century american main street to a fantasy kingdom complete with german castle.

But who cares about thematic integrity if we can pack a few more thousand gate clicks into the system...

No Name

I can't wrap my mind around what is So bad with that ride! I love it. The AAs especially Ursula and King Triton are amazing!

The first time I rode it, I didn't feel like it was cheap. Most Fantasyland rides are kind of "cheap" by that metric, so Mermaid fits right in. I think it would be worse, and worse for the park, if it didn't have any spinning-fish-like elements.

The real problem is that I don't like the movie. I think the message is terrible. So I'm not sure I can ever love this book report ride.

tirian

The first time I rode it, I didn't feel like it was cheap. Most Fantasyland rides are kind of "cheap" by that metric, so Mermaid fits right in. I think it would be worse, and worse for the park, if it didn't have any spinning-fish-like elements.

The real problem is that I don't like the movie. I think the message is terrible. So I'm not sure I can ever love this book report ride.
Have you read the story by Hans Christian Anderson? It has a bittersweet ending but is a more realistic portrayal of unrequited love. Disney's attempt to give the movie a happy ending introduced an awkward message. It's Disney's "Grease": everyone remembers the fun songs but forgets the story is about changing yourself to make someone else happy.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Have you read the story by Hans Christian Anderson? It has a bittersweet ending but is a more realistic portrayal of unrequited love. Disney's attempt to give the movie a happy ending introduced an awkward message. It's Disney's "Grease": everyone remembers the fun songs but forgets the story is about changing yourself to make someone else happy.

The Star Trek DS9 episode Melora also explored this theme although the 'Little Mermaid' in that episode chose not to change.

OT - I liked DS9 the best of all the Star Trek series as it dealt with moral ambiguity and not all the endings were happy ones.

RSoxNo1

Personally I think Ursula is the victim here. She entered into a contract with Ariel and then men took over, killing Ursula and relieving Ariel from the contract. My takeaway from this is that teenage girls can't be trusted.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't you get sick after your 14th ride on Tower of Terror?

I don't even do ToT or RnRC. I see the shows. Make sure I have table-service reservations. Watch Jedi Training (what a hoot!). Practice my Aurabesh. Finagle two night shows (soon to be three... or four!... or five if they weren't nixing Pixar concert come the fall). If you like musical theater and Star Wars... you're set.

RSoxNo1

I don't even do ToT or RnRC. I see the shows. Make sure I have table-service reservations. Watch Jedi Training (what a hoot!). Practice my Aurabesh. Finagle two night shows (soon to be three... or four!... or five if they weren't nixing Pixar concert come the fall). If you like musical theater and Star Wars... you're set.
At this point, I'll spend 3-4 hours in the park. I'm done with Beauty and the Beast, Frozen Sing-a-long (underrated, but I don't need to see it) and Indy. If I'm in the mood I'll hit Little Mermaid or Muppets. Otherwise it's hit the rides and then come back another night on the trip for Star Wars fireworks.

Having said that, when I was visiting last January w/both Soarin' and Maelstrom/Frozen down, I felt Epcot was the worst of the 4 parks.

Bocabear

We have skipped the studios my last three visits to WDW.... without pre-booking fast passes months in advance, the standby lines for Tower, R&RC, and Midway Mania are just way too long to be bothered with... if we go we end up doing The Great Movie Ride and Muppets and Star Tours and call it a day...I have seen the same shows WAY too many times...

No Name

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I have, and in my opinion, it's better for two key reasons: 1. The sea witch is not a villain. 2. The little mermaid make sacrifices / faces consequences for her decisions, and doesn't simply live happily ever after!
Plus, the original story was written a long time ago.

When Disney changes a story, it should be to make it more progressive for the late 20th/21st century. Granted, this was 1989 and not 2017, but I think they did the opposite.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Big Indy fan too...an expanded park presence would be VERY welcomed in my home...

Not to be one-up'd by Uni when their Super Mario World-land opens in 2020; I wonder if Disney will try and lessen that "sting" by announce a bigger Indy presence for HS. Given the timing... a Indy-land announcement could theoretically coincide with the Jones 5 movie, also in 2020. Synergy!

Last edited:

imperius

SNW is supposed to open up by 2020/2021, so don't see anything Indy coming to DHS unless the want the whole place to be shut down for the next few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom