News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There aren't going to be any AAs in the new ride - the '2.5 D' nonsense means there'll be some plain, pure white background shapes that have things projected on them.

Are ya sure?

Hmm... LPS, Preshow rooms, queue extension will be needed, load is in load, this is the cousin of Alcatraz, a happy balance of screen and set... Yeah, I think that is all I can give away at the moment... Oh right, you get animatronics!

yensidtlaw1969

Semi-related: I have to imagine The Wicked Witch is going to the Archives, being the first A-100 Audio Animatronic. Have they tagged anything else from the attraction for saving?

Every time I realize what a shame it is that the Wicked Witch will no longer be on display to guests I can't help but stop and think how sad it is that this huge cast is being done away with. Gene Kelly? Mary and Bert? All the Munchkins? What a loss.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Semi-related: I have to imagine The Wicked Witch is going to the Archives, being the first A-100 Audio Animatronic. Have they tagged anything else from the attraction for saving?

I wonder if they could ever use her again outside TGMR with licensing and such.

She can always be reskinned...

No Name

Does Disney lose the rights to using these MGM movies once they get rid of the ride? Or are they actively paying a licensing fee? And does MGM get a percentage of sales from GMR merchadise? If someone could describe the arrangement I'd really appreciate it.

Anyhow, I wish they'd go about this in traditional Iger fashion and simply buy MGM.

prberk

Well, it looks like D23 is doing a really nice thing on the final weekend. On Saturday, August 12, they are hosting a special event for both D23 members and the official TCM Backlot Fan Club: a pre-opening "attraction experience with special guests, a delicious breakfast at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, and a one-of-a-kind gift for attendees!" And to top it all off, it is COMPLIMENTARY for both fan club members.

Details here: https://d23.com/d23-event/celebrate-great-movie-ride/

How cool is that?

I know that I have a lot to criticize Disney for, especially regarding the missed opportunity with choosing to replace rather than upgrade this ride; but I have to give them this one.

I will likely be there for that weekend, so I will likely try to get a ticket. (The reservations open August 1 at 10 a.m. PACIFIC Standard Time, which is 1 p.m. Florida time.)

And I was even a little cynical when I read about it, wondering what the price would be? $250 $150

No, they actually are making this completely free to fan club members. It is at 7:15 in the morning, before the park opens, and they are NOT requiring park admission (unless you choose to stay after the event).

I wonder if TCM is really opening the floodgates for this? Or if they felt like they just needed to do something for the fans. Not sure, but I have to say this is a nice gesture.

(I almost chose not to post it here because I don't want it to "sell" out before I can get a ticket -- but I knew I was wrong not to share it here. I would have wanted you all to let me know, so I am doing the same.)

Reminder that these tickets go on "sale" (complimentary though they are) at 1:00 p.m. EDT today....

brb1006

I doubt Disney went along with the idea of Mickey 'greeting' Dorothy, only to be attacked by Flying Monkeys! :eek:
And the fact that the Mickey head in the film was the old mid 1960's and 1970's design while the film came out in 1983 which the park had since replaced.

prberk

Well, it looks like D23 is doing a really nice thing on the final weekend. On Saturday, August 12, they are hosting a special event for both D23 members and the official TCM Backlot Fan Club: a pre-opening "attraction experience with special guests, a delicious breakfast at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, and a one-of-a-kind gift for attendees!" And to top it all off, it is COMPLIMENTARY for both fan club members.

Details here: https://d23.com/d23-event/celebrate-great-movie-ride/

How cool is that?

I know that I have a lot to criticize Disney for, especially regarding the missed opportunity with choosing to replace rather than upgrade this ride; but I have to give them this one.

I will likely be there for that weekend, so I will likely try to get a ticket. (The reservations open August 1 at 10 a.m. PACIFIC Standard Time, which is 1 p.m. Florida time.)

And I was even a little cynical when I read about it, wondering what the price would be? $250 $150

No, they actually are making this completely free to fan club members. It is at 7:15 in the morning, before the park opens, and they are NOT requiring park admission (unless you choose to stay after the event).

I wonder if TCM is really opening the floodgates for this? Or if they felt like they just needed to do something for the fans. Not sure, but I have to say this is a nice gesture.

(I almost chose not to post it here because I don't want it to "sell" out before I can get a ticket -- but I knew I was wrong not to share it here. I would have wanted you all to let me know, so I am doing the same.)

Well, that was ridiculous.

I logged in at exactly 1:00 EDT (10 a.m. PDT), when the tickets were supposed to be available, and they were not available yet.

Then I refreshed every 10 seconds or so until the "Get tickets here" button opened up, and clicked on it when it did.

At 1:01, I got the "sold out" screen.

That is beyond ridiculous.

This year I wanted to go to the Epcot 35th event also -- and it was also sold out the same day (not sure about immediately).

I am beyond mad about this, and wrote them. I almost ready to ask for my membership fee ($79) back.

On the positive side, it should show them the affinity for the ride. But on the other side, it is almost a slap in the face: "We are going to do this wonderful thing for the fans... but never mind that we tease you with it and only let three people attend. At least we can say we did something..."

I take back everything nice I said in the previous post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom