News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Kman101

To be fair, years back, there were plans for the work at DHS to be spread over five years. Operations balked and decided they would rather have the bulk of the work over 2-3 years and just wade through it. That's what we are seeing now and obviously they are using extra entertainment to help otherwise bored guests.

Really feel Mickey should've been a new build, though. I guess in their eyes, they get an extremely popular e ticket and remove an expensive relic all at once. Of course they are missing the opportunity to remodel the relic and build Mickey to get two popular e tickets from the work.

Too bad.

It really is. It seems like such a mistake. I also think Cars Land and Monstropolis would have been better options than Toy Story Land (or all three, which the park needs), in addition to SWL (I know I'm not saying anything you probably haven't thought of though, LOL).

You still have 20 year old shows to replace as well, the Indy area, the Animation Courtyard needs work ... I just feel like they didn't do this properly. They've missed the boat like they often do. It's really a shame.

Kman101

Indy isn't a problem at the moment. Updates would be nice. That's one area I agree they could leave for later but it's also a lot of land to use.

Kman101

SW moving seems to have derailed the original park makeover plans. Shame.

EDIT: Looking back, I think I would have been OK with us getting SWL at a later date if it meant getting a more built out DHS, not like we're getting the land first anyway!

ToTBellHop

SW moving seems to have derailed the original park makeover plans. Shame.

EDIT: Looking back, I think I would have been OK with us getting SWL at a later date if it meant getting a more built out DHS, not like we're getting the land first anyway!
Yes, but honestly the money is now spreading property wide. The level of spending over the next five years is unprecedented. I don't come to WDW for one park. I come for four. And they will be in stellar shape by 2021.

My concern now turns to the 2020s. It would be unreasonable to expect growth to continue at this clip and it is reasonable to expect no major construction during what is shaping up to be a TRULY dazzling (no really, Disneyland) celebration. Let's hope they can end up at the arguably-appropriate pace of one new E-ticket every 12-18 months property-wide, smaller additions inbetween, and maintenance of a reasonable refurb schedule.

Disneyland has maintained that since 2005.

Bocabear

Can we stop with this "attractions = rides" nonsense? Hollywood Studios has always been show-heavy, and appropriately so.
Rides are attractions...Shows can be too, but I was referring to rides and should have used that word instead of "Attractions"... the point remains that in a park with a real lack of viable attractions, they are planning on closing yet another...before opening anything else.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Rides are attractions...Shows can be too, but I was referring to rides and should have used that word instead of "Attractions"... the point remains that in a park with a real lack of viable attractions, they are planning on closing yet another...before opening anything else.
With respect, I see that you're from Ft. Lauderdale. Since you're so close, I assume you visit Walt Disney World fairly frequently and tend to skip many of the shows because you've seen them all several times. For those that visit and actually watch the shows, there's still many hours worth of entertainment at DHS. No, the park is not in its most robust shape, but there's still enough for it to hobble along.

ToTBellHop

That's fine. But it's a different argument than what most people try to make. Most people say "there's nothing to do at DHS." The honest argument would be "I don't enjoy the things there are to do at DHS."
Surveys suggest guests primarily visit WDW for rides. I'm not arguing with your definition of "attraction," but four rides in one park is problematic. At least it is just for 1 year. There will need to be additional entertainment wherever they can fit it.

Or free cupcakes.

Fox&Hound

If Mickey takes over GMR and they have Minnie and Co dining at Hollywood and Vine, any chance they will go that direction with that area of the park? I could see Disney Jr taking over where Frozen currently is and they can have that area as a little Toon Town or celebration of animated hits. That way The Great Mickey Ride does not seem so out of place and its placement would make sense for the new direction of the park???? Course that leaves Indiana Jones....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom