1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by TheVisionarySoul, Aug 2, 2016.

1. po1998

po1998 Well-Known Member

At the risk of probably repeating myself from the early days of this thread, in a park desperate for attractions, it is just mind boggling that they would consider replacing GMR with a MM attraction, instead of building MM attraction in the former Animation Courtyard now used for a SW preview/walk-thru/m&g/whatever you want to call it.

Just hoping they come up with a plan soon. TSL & SWL 4 new attractions, are not going to offset the crowds that will flock to a park with still a below average number of attractions for an all-day park.

2. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Well, at least that means that that building will be available for an eventual SWL expansion! ;)

3. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

It seems that (of the money being spread around) Mickey's popularity is waning. As a ride, it is actually quite nice, just not in GMR's space. I too, would rather see it elsewhere rather than nowhere, but nowhere rather than in GMR. At least it is better than the old GotG proposal (cringes). As of now, after Pandora, we will see TSL, then SWL or Rat as as far as notable adds go. (Excluding Gondolas, West Side, Water Parks, Hotels, etc.)

4. PorterRedkey

PorterRedkey Well-Known Member

So is Energy safe now? I thought GotG was close to being greenlit.

And what is proposed for the water parks? If you can say, of course.

5. Chef Kronk

Chef Kronk Well-Known Member

I think they are referring to an old GotG ride proposal that would've taken over GMR. But that was thankfully cancelled.

6. PorterRedkey

PorterRedkey Well-Known Member

Okay, but he also states that only Pandora, TSL, SWE and Rat will be the notable additions. If GotG is still going into Energy that would be a "notable addition" in my book.

7. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

GotG seems to be delayed for the time being, but it still seems likely to come...after everything I listed at the very least.

8. Figments Friend

Figments Friend Well-Known Member

Very good to hear this recent news about them having second thoughts about the placement of this particular project.

The Great Movie Ride needs to stay....and needs a nice update and refreshening of the ride scenes.
    There are ways this experience can be streamlined but keep its appealing features intact.
    It just needs a good review and a healthy budget to add some scenic additions and updated AAs in key scenes and it will be good for another 20 something years!
    :)

-

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. atighe42

atighe42 Well-Known Member

One day, very soon, I hope to get a full run down of what atrocities were being thought of for the GotG GMR overhaul.

10. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

This.

I'd rather keep GMR open and use those funds now somewhere else (maybe an expansion over at Echo Lake once TSL opens). Build the Mickey ride in Animation Courtyard in the future once Launch Bay can be closed and torn down -- maybe it could be the anchor of a properly done Toontown.

11. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

If the Mickey ride is being delayed/cancelled, could they at least address capacity issues by adding a new Muppets ride in their area? I know some have said that a ride there was formerly on the table.

Heck, just add something new anywhere. Something that is an addition, not a replacement.

12. DDLand

DDLand Well-Known Member

I wonder if Bob W. coming onto the scene had something to do with it.

So in Disney's eyes DHS will be basically "fixed" when Star Wars comes online, or is there still more to come?

13. Direwolf27

Direwolf27 Well-Known Member

A college friend of mine is one of the Mugsis at GMR, and while I haven't seen her perform (at least not yet), I know that she is having the time of her life in that role. She's had a few different jobs as a CM, and I think that Mugsi is hands down her favorite.

14. clemmo

clemmo Well-Known Member

While it's great that GMR could stay it really needs a major update and quite honestly the park still will need a lot more after TSL and SWL. This should be built in the animation courtyard once the Star wars stuff opens and they can close launch bay.

15. SirLink

SirLink Well-Known Member

They won't be closing most of the extra Star Wars stuff until 6-8 months after the opening of Star Wars Land

doctornick likes this.
  16. clemmo

clemmo Well-Known Member

As they shouldn't, they will need the extra capacity. But after a year or so that would be the ideal place for the mickey ride though it seems like recent discussions show it on the chopping block.

maroonmol, Direwolf27, Mike S and 2 others like this.
  17. SirLink

SirLink Well-Known Member

Just pointing out they want as much Star Wars content available for the first year of Star Wars Land open. Also just pointing out DHS has far too many theatres also animation courtyard can be opened somewhat to create a mini land.

clemmo likes this.
  18. clemmo

clemmo Well-Known Member

Agreed, MK has no proper theater and DHS has ones just sitting empty even after they just had one demoed. Any SW content will help though. Once the dust settles somewhere in the 2020s hopefully they do make a mini land over there.

19. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

It pains me to say I may have ridden my last GMR.

As things stands at the moment, when I return in the fall the attraction should be closed.

20. Voice of Disney sanity

Voice of Disney sanity Well-Known Member

Well that was unexpected... after the latest posts it seemed it was staying. Is the great mouse ride still on?

Mike S and TheOrangeBird01 like this.