News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

clemmo

Just pointing out they want as much Star Wars content available for the first year of Star Wars Land open. Also just pointing out DHS has far too many theatres also animation courtyard can be opened somewhat to create a mini land.
Agreed, MK has no proper theater and DHS has ones just sitting empty even after they just had one demoed. Any SW content will help though. Once the dust settles somewhere in the 2020s hopefully they do make a mini land over there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It pains me to say I may have ridden my last GMR.

As things stands at the moment, when I return in the fall the attraction should be closed.

I know you wanted it saved and so I'm sorry for your loss, Martin.

It seems crazy to me, though, that they'd be shutting it down before TSL opens. That's going to be.... interesting. I'm sure the Music of Pixar was a way to add to DHS to soften this blow of GMR going down. Any ideas what else they may temporarily squeeze into the park to make up for its loss?

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well that was unexpected... after the latest posts it seemed it was staying. Is the great mouse ride still on?
Apparently so.

I rode GMR last fall thinking it would be my last. Sadly it seems I was right.

It's currently a slightly over two year project. The new ride should be lots of fun. It's the justification and execution that IMHO is wrong.

G00fyDad

I know this has probably been discussed here but 157 pages is a lot to go through...

Do we know if the facade is staying or will it be changed? I am going to miss the GMR and I am mad that they decided to trash it but I would at least like to have the facade stay.

Biff215

It does raise a lot of questions. I really hope I'm wrong and I really hope I'll be riding the GMR in the fall. But I'm told I aren't and I won't.
Will it last the summer at least? We'll be there at the end of August. Certainly understand if you can't say.

As many of us have already said here, the new attraction could and should be great as this space deserves, it's just sad to see it come at the expense of something unique like GMR. Perhaps a history of cinema will no longer fit in this park come 2019, but it's hard to imagine something more appropriate to live in the Chinese Theater at the end of Hollywood Blvd. What a shame to lose this classic.

Biff215

I know this has probably been discussed here but 157 pages is a lot to go through...

Do we know if the facade is staying or will it be changed? I am going to miss the GMR and I am mad that they decided to trash it but I would at least like to have the facade stay.
None of the information from our insiders has indicated that the facade will change at all. I agree it should stay, but I also feel that if it does, it shows that this is really about the cost savings of building and staffing a new space, not what would fit best there. It's been said over and over, but this should be built as an extra attraction that this park so desperately needs.

Kman101

@marni1971 how are they justifying closing down the main ride in the park for an overhaul when two lands still aren't open and the park desperately needs things to do? Why was this not a new build?

I just don't get it when they acknowledge they need things to do in the park. It's you-know-what-backwards. So stupid. How did the DHS "makeover" get bungled? Do they not admit they need more than even TSL and SWL?

Kman101

The DHS redo just proves to me that they have no desire to set the park up for future success. (By this I mean not closing one of the 5 rides they have; not that SWL won't do gangbusters)

seascape

All the changed in the short term are painful but in the lonf term are setting up the park to draw just under what the MK draws. Its clear to almost everyone that Star Wars is the most popular IP in the movie industry. Therefore WDW has to make sure whatever they remane the park has capacity to handle 20 million as it will be the number 2 park in Orlando. Once they finish what is planned and the next phase for Epcot and MK tomorrowland WDW will be set for the 70 million plus a year attendance they will be getting.

ToTBellHop

The DHS redo just proves to me that they have no desire to set the park up for future success. (By this I mean not closing one of the 5 rides they have; not that SWL won't do gangbusters)
To be fair, years back, there were plans for the work at DHS to be spread over five years. Operations balked and decided they would rather have the bulk of the work over 2-3 years and just wade through it. That's what we are seeing now and obviously they are using extra entertainment to help otherwise bored guests.

Really feel Mickey should've been a new build, though. I guess in their eyes, they get an extremely popular e ticket and remove an expensive relic all at once. Of course they are missing the opportunity to remodel the relic and build Mickey to get two popular e tickets from the work.

Too bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom