Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

Future Imagineer

Yeah but differences are:
1. You get free bus from airport.
2. extra Magic Hours (which if rumors are true will be gone in the next few years)
3. Whole Disney Experience.

All in all Still probably worth saving the coin.
This has nothing to do with the Polynesian but why would they get rid of extra magic hours?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????????????

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disney is not going to tell us why they are going away. Simple logic would dictate that they either feel that the cost to do EMH is greater than the return they are getting from increased room bookings or they think the room bookings will not drop as a result of getting rid of EMH and they can pocket the savings.

Hobnail Boot

Here is the report I posted last night. If I had not gotten this info from the people involved I would not believe it. With the way Disney keeps changing the plan I agree with those that say we need to wait and see what will happen.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/224-july-news

Nice read, thanks. With the exception of the water feature, I'm not as disappointed as I thought I would be. Like you, I think they should build another longhouse dedicated solely to DVC rather than converting Tahiti. Despite it's ideal views, Tahiti isn't exactly close to the GCH so I'm sure that would tick some DVC people off. If they want to add DVC to the Poly, do it right or don't do it at all.

bgraham34

This has nothing to do with the Polynesian but why would they get rid of extra magic hours?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????????????

Did you read what I was replying to. That resort was half the price of the poly.

EMH will be going bye bye to reduce costs it already started.

muteki

Here is the report I posted last night. If I had not gotten this info from the people involved I would not believe it. With the way Disney keeps changing the plan I agree with those that say we need to wait and see what will happen.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/news/224-july-news
Really nice read. Never realized that the fireworks and the beach were such a problem. We have watched them and the EWP from there a few times (though have never been lucky enough to stay there) and were the only ones on the beach. We don't really go around holidays though. Definitely a tough problem to solve.

Love the "save the waterfall". It would be great to have a ton of people with those shirts in the Poly all at once.

tikiman

Original Poster
Really nice read. Never realized that the fireworks and the beach were such a problem. We have watched them and the EWP from there a few times (though have never been lucky enough to stay there) and were the only ones on the beach. We don't really go around holidays though. Definitely a tough problem to solve.

Love the "save the waterfall". It would be great to have a ton of people with those shirts in the Poly all at once.

You know I was sitting in bed this morning imagining people showing up at the resort with these shirts on because I sold a few last night (too bad I only get a $1 profit off each one) and I can see the staff at the resort asking what the shirt means because I doubt there are many of the staff that even know that the plan is to remove it. They have such a turn over of staff that hardly anyone is there long enough to know much about the resort. Most of these plans are made outside the resort and I get emails all the time from staff asking me what the plans are because they are not usually told. It’s too bad the staff is not more involved with the fate of the resort.
I had some CMs that work there ask me how to get a shirt. It would be funny if they started wearing them.

Soarin' Over Pgh

You know I was sitting in bed this morning imagining people showing up at the resort with these shirts on because I sold a few last night (too bad I only get a $1 profit off each one) and I can see the staff at the resort asking what the shirt means because I doubt there are many of the staff that even know that the plan is to remove it. They have such a turn over of staff that hardly anyone is there long enough to know much about the resort. Most of these plans are made outside the resort and I get emails all the time from staff asking me what the plans are because they are not usually told. It’s too bad the staff is not more involved with the fate of the resort.
I had some CMs that work there ask me how to get a shirt. It would be funny if they started wearing them.

I like the designs. :)

You page was the nail in the coffin on convincing my Mom on the Polynesian. So, many thanks for that. She's been to Hawaii, and as soon as we got off the DME at the entrance, she was transported back there. Due to her illness, she'll never be able to see the 'real thing' again... the Poly is the closest she'll come.

It'll be horrible to remove that gorgeous "Welcome!" as soon as you step into the lobby. The smell, the look of everything, the water feature, the flowers... it's a complete package.

I can't begin to say how much this thread makes me sad. But thank you for posting what you know.

John

Doing away with the water feature to me is just another "death by a thousand cuts" Maybe it wont happen but I trust the Tikiman and his info. To me Burbank wont be happy till WDW is just another amusement park ( notice I didn't say theme park). To have a theme park it needs to be immersive. To create a theme there must be the small things. Like tiki torches.....Polynesian music. Actual Polynesian people....and yes the water feature. Nostalgia? Burbank sells us on nostalgia but secretly wants to take away anything that might cost a few bucks that created the nostalgia in the first place. IMO the powers that be would love to turn the place in to a amusement park and have nothing but 18 yr old cm's who work part time. It is my belief that Disney has long cared about what all of us think. They couldn't care less if you want the water feature. They want no less then their guest to become "robotized" bus em' in....but locator bracelets......errrrr magic bands on their wrist....march them here....march them there......bus em' home.....next. Sids....the water feature.....all death y degrees. The death of WDW? Of course not. Just the death of the one all of us remember and love so much. It didn't have to go down this way. We all bi*#ch about certain things that go on in Disney but not really how much it cost. Yes we complain that the cost is going up and the offerings are being depleted but no one ever worries about the cost if they feel they are getting their monies worth. Heck I don't care what it cost if you give me that high level experience. You wow me.....you surround me with service that exceeds all expectations ( like you used to) and we will pay. We will gladly give you are pin number if you give the customer what they want.
No they think they are smarter then you ( which they are smarter then some of us) and just take your pin number...call you sheeple behind your back and laugh all the way to retirement with their golden parachute.

Honestly, when I see two members here suddenly take a turn that I thought I would never see happening ( @Master Yoda and @tikiman) I am really beginning to worry.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Doing away with the water feature to me is just another "death by a thousand cuts" Maybe it wont happen but I trust the Tikiman and his info. To me Burbank wont be happy till WDW is just another amusement park ( notice I didn't say theme park). To have a theme park it needs to be immersive. To create a theme there must be the small things. Like tiki torches.....Polynesian music. Actual Polynesian people....and yes the water feature. Nostalgia? Burbank sells us on nostalgia but secretly wants to take away anything that might cost a few bucks that created the nostalgia in the first place. IMO the powers that be would love to turn the place in to a amusement park and have nothing but 18 yr old cm's who work part time. It is my belief that Disney has long cared about what all of us think. They couldn't care less if you want the water feature. They want no less then their guest to become "robotized" bus em' in....but locator bracelets......errrrr magic bands on their wrist....march them here....march them there......bus em' home.....next. Sids....the water feature.....all death y degrees. The death of WDW? Of course not. Just the death of the one all of us remember and love so much. It didn't have to go down this way. We all bi*#ch about certain things that go on in Disney but not really how much it cost. Yes we complain that the cost is going up and the offerings are being depleted but no one ever worries about the cost if they feel they are getting their monies worth. Heck I don't care what it cost if you give me that high level experience. You wow me.....you surround me with service that exceeds all expectations ( like you used to) and we will pay. We will gladly give you are pin number if you give the customer what they want.
No they think they are smarter then you ( which they are smarter then some of us) and just take your pin number...call you sheeple behind your back and laugh all the way to retirement with their golden parachute.

Honestly, when I see two members here suddenly take a turn that I thought I would never see happening ( @Master Yoda and @tikiman) I am really beginning to worry.

What turn would that be?

tikiman

Original Poster
Pfft...did that years ago. The jackets were cooler and they had cookies.
dark-side-cookie-apron.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great question!

The sale of Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) has been disappointing. It looks like it will finally sell out some time next year, painfully slow by DVC standards. In a short time span, AKV (opened in 2006 with 708 rooms), BLT (2009 with 428 rooms), and SSR (2004 with 1260 rooms) doubled the number of DVC rooms. The Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF), opening later this year, is much smaller, only 147 rooms, tiny by DVC standards. They already should have some preliminary sales numbers from that indicating how successful a Poly DVC should be.

Is what's being scaled back the number of DVC rooms or the upgrades being made? In other words, is DVC reaching a saturation point or is corporate Disney trying to build the Poly DVC on the cheap?

With DVC prices now starting in the $150/point range, the market is very different than 10 years ago when Disney was asking around $65/point.

I'm looking forward to reading the new plans from @tikiman.
Profits, profits, profits. A new building costs more than refurbishing existing rooms. Selling 1.5M points at $150 with a renovation that probably costs a fraction of that leads to huge profits. If occupancy is really down as some people keep claiming taking 150 cash rooms out will boost occupancy rates by reducing supply. The logistical issues with parking, check-in and guest services may have been too expensive to justify adding all those rooms.

I would hate to see the new pool area get cut, but it seems likely if there are so few DVC rooms. Dues have to cover costs so a small DVC wing means a big new pool complex is unlikely unless dues are astronomically high.

rael ramone

How many rooms are unoccupied (on average) every night?
How many rooms have people not paying rack rate?

I'm guessing this hotel may have the lowest percentage of both.

How much does it cost them to have a room occupied?

If you account for the guests overall Mouse spending (admission, food, souvenirs, and perhaps an extra like a bippidy makeover for their little princess or a round of golf) how much profit does each Poly room generate for TDO?

Finally, if you divide the annual maintenance costs of the water feature by night & room, how much does that add up to? Would it change the annual Mouse take for each room from $500 to, say.... $499.75 :eek::greedy:

But I'm sure there will be something in it's place..... they think we like screens, maybe they'll give us a bunch of screens. Or maybe they'll replace it with the only 'water feature' that they add on property now, a kiddie splash zone :arghh:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom