Disney Cruise FAQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckElias

Everyone I know mentions that Disney packages are more expensive than their out of ship counterparts ( I notice the difference is usually 10 to 20 USD, but they seem to have perks.. like disney chars meetings)
Hmmm, I've been on a lo-o-o-o-o-t of DCL excursions. And I don't remember very many that included character interactions.

Cesar R M

Hmmm, I've been on a lo-o-o-o-o-t of DCL excursions. And I don't remember very many that included character interactions.
any suggestions? are the non DCL cruises cheaper? what are the perks for DCL vs non DCL?
what about the combinations? (aka packages like "Best of Juneau" etc..)

ChuckElias

1) Suggestions. . . you can try a 3rd-party excursion company. My travel company (no, I'm not soliciting business :) ) recommends a tour company called "Shore Trips". You can check their website to compare what they offer to the prices for excursions that you find on the DCL site. I've personally used them for an excursion in Hawaii and their service was excellent. In my opinion, their prices are usually very similar to what you find onboard ship -- some a little more expensive, some a little cheaper. One thing that you'll find with them is that they offer a lot of private excursions, which do tend to be expensive, but you're not on a bus with 100 other people.

2) The two main perks for being on a DCL excursion are (a) they are supposedly scouted by DCL people before they get "approved" and (b) the ship promises not to leave before your excursion returns. It is possible that if your 3rd-party tour is late returning to port, the ship might depart without you. I'm sure it's happened, but the reputable tour companies know exactly when the ship is scheduled to depart. Additionally, Shore Trips guarantees your return on time. If they're late and the ship leaves, I believe they will provide your transportation to the ship's next port.

3) I have never done the "Best of. . ." excursion package. They always seem so big. Sorry I can't be more help on that one.

Cesar R M

1) Suggestions. . . you can try a 3rd-party excursion company. My travel company (no, I'm not soliciting business :) ) recommends a tour company called "Shore Trips". You can check their website to compare what they offer to the prices for excursions that you find on the DCL site. I've personally used them for an excursion in Hawaii and their service was excellent. In my opinion, their prices are usually very similar to what you find onboard ship -- some a little more expensive, some a little cheaper. One thing that you'll find with them is that they offer a lot of private excursions, which do tend to be expensive, but you're not on a bus with 100 other people.

2) The two main perks for being on a DCL excursion are (a) they are supposedly scouted by DCL people before they get "approved" and (b) the ship promises not to leave before your excursion returns. It is possible that if your 3rd-party tour is late returning to port, the ship might depart without you. I'm sure it's happened, but the reputable tour companies know exactly when the ship is scheduled to depart. Additionally, Shore Trips guarantees your return on time. If they're late and the ship leaves, I believe they will provide your transportation to the ship's next port.

3) I have never done the "Best of. . ." excursion package. They always seem so big. Sorry I can't be more help on that one.
It seems the shoretrips website also features combos, like the "triple combo whales, mendenhall glacier & salmon bake"

VAMickeyFan

Moving forward with reserving our cruise! Thanks to everyone for your help!

One last question: for 98 extra dollars total, is it worth upgrading from an inside stateroom to a deluxe oceanview room with an obstructed view? We are there 7 nights.

ChuckElias

One last question: for 98 extra dollars total, is it worth upgrading from an inside stateroom to a deluxe oceanview room with an obstructed view? We are there 7 nights.
If your inside stateroom doesn't have the split bathroom and the ocean view stateroom does, than it's absolutely worth it to upgrade. If your inside stateroom already has the split bathroom, then it might be just as fun to stay put and have the Magical Porthole.

VAMickeyFan

Is it safe to say the higher up in decks you are, the better? Less rocking/easier to sleep? Also, better location as far as getting to everything?

fltink

Actually, with a ship, the lower and more toward the middle you are, the less you fee the rocking. Think of a toy boat in a bath tub. If you make a wave, the bow, (front) of the ship takes the most sharp up and down pitch, while the middle, closest to the base or keel, remains somewhat stable.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster

I agree with Chuck! If you are looking at a category 11, then upgrade! That split bath is worth a lot more than $98. :)

Cesar R M

Hello again, just 74 days for me !

Question regarding the shows:

When is the full show list available?
I fear booking some of my port adventures might clash with some of the on-board disney shows.
Currently, only the sail away party and the pixar pals is listed in the "MY CRUISE ACTIVITIES" list on the website.

(to clarify, I'm going on the WONDER in September to ALASKA)

fltink

I tend to check the Navigators of cruises as close to mine as possible to see what they had, but you can also call DCL and they can usually give you a list of not only the shows, but the movies playing, as well.

Bolna

Hello again, just 74 days for me !

Question regarding the shows:

When is the full show list available?
I fear booking some of my port adventures might clash with some of the on-board disney shows.
Currently, only the sail away party and the pixar pals is listed in the "MY CRUISE ACTIVITIES" list on the website.

(to clarify, I'm going on the WONDER in September to ALASKA)

Showtimes are usually 6:15pm (for those on second dining) and 8:30pm (for those on main dining). I think mostly Disney schedules port time so that the ship will have left port before the main dining seating starts at 5:45pm.

I would suggest to look at the Navigators from a prior Alaska cruise for an indication how things are usually done. Of course there always can be changes, but generally Disney is very consistent. The unofficial Disney Cruise Line Blog has a set from this year's first 7-night Alaska cruise here.

Cesar R M

Showtimes are usually 6:15pm (for those on second dining) and 8:30pm (for those on main dining). I think mostly Disney schedules port time so that the ship will have left port before the main dining seating starts at 5:45pm.

I would suggest to look at the Navigators from a prior Alaska cruise for an indication how things are usually done. Of course there always can be changes, but generally Disney is very consistent. The unofficial Disney Cruise Line Blog has a set from this year's first 7-night Alaska cruise here.
thank you for the link. I have changed my palo reservation to day #1 to not hit "the golden mickeys".

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Also, speaking of food..
The rotational restaurant thing.. is only for dinner? or also applies for lunch?

rick3236

You only rotate to your assigned restaurant for dinner. There are numerous lunch options - the buffet at Cabana, one of the restaurants will open for a sit down lunch, burgers/pizza/sandwiches on the pool deck, or room service. The Navigator will have a list of all your lunch options.

We mostly do Cabana's for lunch but the sit down lunch is a nice change of pace and usually not very crowded.

Bolna

Also, speaking of food..
The rotational restaurant thing.. is only for dinner? or also applies for lunch?

Since you are on the Wonder, your options for lunch are: Beach Blanket Buffet on Deck 9, which is the buffet, Parrot Cay, which is a buffet for lunch - with the difference that you still get seated at a specific table and will have a server bringing you drinks, and Triton's for table service. Besides that there are three different stations on the pool deck with Pinocchios Pizza (for pizza obviously), Pluto's Dog House (for hot dogs, burgers, chicken wings and usually a daily special) and Goofey's Galley which has different sandwiches, wraps, panininis, salads and fruit. And then there is also room service.

I really like eating at Triton's for lunch, it is just more relaxing and I have found the lunch food to be always very good.

If you want to have a chance to say hi to your serving team during lunch, they usually work at the restaurant where they will be that evening as well, with the exception of days you eat at Animators Palate, then they are at BBB for lunch.

Breakfast has more or less the same options, but no pizza or burgers. And PC might not be open if there is a character breakfast. You can also get very nice breakfast pastries from the Cove Cafe (no need to buy a coffee).

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
On Alaska cruises they usually set up a grill behind Beach Blanket Buffet on Tracy Arm day. Don't miss it! It's delicious! There are steaks, reindeer sausage, all kinds of fun things! :)

Bolna

Oh, and generally your servers will let you know your breakfast and lunch options for the next day at dinner!

Ariel484

Question about the MDRs for breakfast - is there a menu you can order from a la carte, or is it a buffet? :)

Bolna

One is with a menu, the other one is a buffet, I think Parrot Cay, Cariocas and Enchanted Garden are the buffet ones.

Menu can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom