Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Matt_Black

I can get not liking the movie. While not quite as insufferable as the 2011 film, and MUCH better than *shudder* Muppets From Space, it really does pale in comparison to the earlier films.

Phil12

I don't doubt the size of Frozen's fanbase, but that won't make the attraction any better. It's one thing to be a fan of something and another thing entirely to judge the relative quality of an attraction based solely on how much you love the IP it's attached to.

I don't know why that comparison was even made, since the attachment to massive IPs are the only things those projects have in common. And we all know that if a project's development time was relative to its end quality, Avatar would be the best thing since sliced bread.
What it all boils down to is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Naturally, the seminal group of Frozen Ever After critics dislike the attraction due to its location and that it displaced the former attraction. It's unlikely those people will ever be able to enjoy the new ride. But they are the vocal minority.

Why should Disney worry about this tiny group of critics when that vast majority of people will enjoy the new ride? The Olaf plush will sell like hotcakes!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Frozen has a huge fan base. The movie is the highest-grossing animated film of all time. The fan base is international in scope and includes all ages. And, of course, central Florida is the perfect climate for Olaf.
Which is a perfect example of why it should have been purpose built in a suitable location to suit the fan base.

aladdin2007

What do you mean? It's operating as usual

its been closed for a month now, hasnt it? Its been listed as closed on the disney site...and it was said the contract was up with the museum artifacts inside and the exhibit was being changed, but no one knew to what or if anything.

edit: the site no longer states it being closed, but it had over the last month

Last edited:

Matt_Black

The 2011 film was pretty dang good. Maybe to die hard Muppet fans you'd say different, but most people - even non-muppet fans - liked that movie.

It was better than Muppets in Space, but it relied far too much on, "Hey, remember this bit from the first movie or the show?" And don't get me started on Walter.

AEfx

Why should Disney worry about this tiny group of critics when that vast majority of people will enjoy the new ride? The Olaf plush will sell like hotcakes!

As someone who largely agrees, sees no issue whatsoever with getting rid of what was said to be the WDW attraction with the lowest guest scores (even though I quite liked it), and thinks it's demonstrably appropriate for the Norway pavilion - the real underlying issue is capacity. You are correct - the film had unprecedented success and obviously is not leaving the public consciousness for the foreseeable future. It's going to be insanely popular.

Too popular. That's the issue. It's going to be the biggest bottleneck for a moving attraction in WDW memory. Even if they managed to squeeze in another boat or two, it's still going to be ridiculously busy, enough so that I do believe the general public is going to be rather unhappy at waiting hours for this ride. I'm betting even those FP+ holders are going to be waiting near an hour. It simply can't logistically handle the demand it's going to have.

Think about TSMM, as well. It's really not that "wow" of an attraction (I still hold to the fact that you can rather convincingly recreate it with a Wii copy of the game and a rolling office chair), but because it's one of the few "kid friendly" things in that park, it always has excessive waits. When you take into account that pretty much every kid at Epcot is going to want to see this ride, and how many will be flooding to Epcot to see it as opposed to other parks, it's just a recipe for super-long waits with no ending in sight.

Sped2424

its been closed for a month now, hasnt it? Its been listed as closed on the disney site...and it was said the contract was up with the museum artifacts inside and the exhibit was being changed, but no one knew to what or if anything.

edit: the site no longer states it being closed, but it had over the last month
Well last I went it was open and I am pretty sure it was the same frozen exhibit.

Bocabear

Two and half years to build Diagon Alley at Universal. This will be two years - hope it's just as good.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....it's an overlay to an existing attraction and a meet and greet and restrooms...there is no way you could even compare a new "land" in a theme park with several attraction, shows, shops and restaurants to this. I am hopeful it will be decent for what it is, but I would not expect too much. I think a better comparison would be Diagon Alley and the Fantasyland Expansion....

Mike S

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....it's an overlay to an existing attraction and a meet and greet and restrooms...there is no way you could even compare a new "land" in a theme park with several attraction, shows, shops and restaurants to this. I am hopeful it will be decent for what it is, but I would not expect too much. I think a better comparison would be Diagon Alley and the Fantasyland Expansion....
Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

jt04

The new entry area to the Frozen attraction looks great. Not sure about the yellowish area though. Time will tell on that.

jt04

this is being heavily discussed right now in the other frozen thread with pics for those of you wondering....but the yellow is hideous.

Yes, I'd have much rather seen the church architecture extended over to this area. It just looks profoundly better and really makes the mustard wall look that much worse. Yikes.

Brer Panther

Okay, so Elsa singing "Let It Go" will be where the three-headed troll was and Marshmallow is taking up residence where the troll who sent riders into the North Sea sat... What about the polar bears?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom