Disney’s Chief Diversity Officer Exits Role

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
In any event, there is no justification for passing laws against something that is not hurting anyone simply because you don’t agree with it.
Entertainment is regulated all the time in this country and others. Whether I agree with the specific regulations that have come out (ie. banning for children altogether) for this case is another story, but there is a long history of regulating how businesses operate...

Vegas Disney Fan

I see a man dressed as a hilariously ridiculous woman reading stories to kids. That's it.

Like a clown but funnier and less scary.
This relates back to my comment about the extremes making it harder for everyone else, one of my friends wanted to see Dixie’s Tupperware party so we went, I think far fewer people would object to him/her reading to kids because the character is just a guy pretending to be a girl… but that’s not the image of drag that get plastered on the news… you see the ones who are mocking nuns, or the ones with scary clown makeup, or the ones with horns… I think people instantly start to question whether it’s a good idea to expose kids to drag because the ones that make the news are the extremes that come off as “crazy” people.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I see a man dressed as a hilariously ridiculous woman reading stories to kids. That's it.

Like a clown but funnier and less scary.
Stephen King Clown GIF by Maudit

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
you see the ones who are mocking nuns
I'll mock nuns while wearing a suit and tie. But that has more to do with my personal problems with the catholic church as a catholic.

Anyway, it's not the outfit, it's the mockery. But people aren't willing to think past that.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll mock nuns while wearing a suit and tie. But that has more to do with my personal problems with the catholic church as a catholic.

Anyway, it's not the outfit, it's the mockery. But people aren't willing to think past that.
I was also raised Catholic and know what you mean. It’s probably best if I don’t say any more.

AdventureHasAName

Maybe it’s me, but I wouldn’t call the end of Mulan or Klinger from MASH a “drag queen”. The particular term connotes a certain bawdy nature that isn’t necessarily there with just someone dressed as the opposite sex.
The whole point of Klinger in MASH was that he was dressing in women's clothing so the military would consider him mentally-ill and send him home.

Wendy Pleakley

Uhhh this would be because Bob Saget never tired to bring his standup routine to schools and libraries so the issue would never come up in the first place.

And sure, it’s all the same. Bob Saget showing up to a school looking like anyone’s Dad or Uncle is the same as the Drag Queen in the picture below. It’s aLl tHe sAMe. That’s the goal right? To keep saying that until people believe it.

View attachment 725780

It's completely unnatural for a man to wear high heels, a dress, makeup, and large hair.

You know what else is unnatural? A woman wearing high heels, a dress, makeup, and large hair.

Assigning certain clothing to one gender or another is completely arbitrary.

If we hadn't decided that at some point men might wear dresses all the time and no one would bat an eye. It wouldn't be unusual, it would just be clothing.

It wasn't even that long ago that a man wearing pink or a woman wearing pants was taboo.

It's silly yet people still get worked up over this.

mickEblu

It's completely unnatural for a man to wear high heels, a dress, makeup, and large hair.

You know what else is unnatural? A woman wearing high heels, a dress, makeup, and large hair.

Assigning certain clothing to one gender or another is completely arbitrary.

If we hadn't decided that at some point men might wear dresses all the time and no one would bat an eye. It wouldn't be unusual, it would just be clothing.

It wasn't even that long ago that a man wearing pink or a woman wearing pants was taboo.

It's silly yet people still get worked up over this.

It’s attention seeking/ approval seeking behavior from men dressing as ultra sexualized women who are customarily very raunchy when they’re at nightclubs instead of libraries or schools. How can you separate their appearance from the culture?

TP2000

This made me laugh. Also, let's talk about the impact of Trader Joe's on American society, social and economic. Positive, negative, mixed bag? :D

Isn't Trader Joe's great? 😍

But there's still plenty to discuss here in this thread, like...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Disney's suddenly-departed "Chief Diversity Officer" was grifting art sales at high-end beach town galleries for huge sums of money. That's really smarmy and... very odd for a senior exec in such a role. o_O

Figgy1

Premium Member
Isn't Trader Joe's great? 😍

But there's still plenty to discuss here in this thread, like...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Disney's suddenly-departed "Chief Diversity Officer" was grifting art sales at high-end beach town galleries for huge sums of money. That's really smarmy and... very odd for a senior exec in such a role. o_O
TJ's is ok but it's no Wegman's;)

TP2000

TJ's is ok but it's no Wegman's;)

Are those fighting words? I can't tell.

Funny Real Estate Story: I was touring new homes in a development last year, and the sales hostess made a point of stating that there were "credible reports" that Trader Joe's was staking out a location in town. She said this in the same proud and reverential tone she would have announced to a young couple with 3 kids that the local school district "was ranked in the Top 20 in America".

I admired her salesmanship and responded with my best... "Oh, really? Well, that's good to factor in to this decision." 🤔

Tony the Tigger

Please reread my posts on this subject. I was talking only about drag queen story hours for children - that's it - not implying that I had never heard of drag shows. I'm not even saying that it was unheard of to have children at drag shows - just that it was not a thing to have drag queens in the community at children's story hours (which I also don't oppose in any way). Also, my definition of recently is the last 10 years.
Maybe The Mom will leave this part of my post when she deletes the last few pages:

I would appreciate a private discussion with you about this, because you are a reasonable person, and it’s apparently OT/political for this thread.

In fact, I will throw that offer open to anyone who wants to respectfully ask questions about what you may not “get” about drag, because I assure you it’s as innocuous as wearing a giant stuffed Mickey head in the context of drag queen story hour. It can be a one-on-one discussion or a group for all I care. We’ll call it “l Did Drag Twice For Charity Story Hour.”😆
So why invite children to some “sanitized” version of something that’s always been very sexual by nature? Aren’t drag queens just super sexualized imaginings of women?
I’m glad you’re asking questions, because it’s obvious you don’t know.

What’s the most potentially sexual thing about a man in drag? Oh, that thing is literally 👏🏻 duct👏🏻 taped 👏🏻 so you cannot possibly see it. They’re trying to look like a woman, remember?!

We can discuss the very innocent origins of drag Queen story hour, and then discuss all the Karens sticking their noses where they weren’t even invited.

Apologies to the next poster; my poor editing on my phone erased the poster’s name and I don’t want to start over. 😆

It’s an odd battle to fight, same with the nuns in drag the other day at Dodgers stadium, it hurts the cause but they don’t care because they’ve decided it’s for the greater good.

Please Wikipedia the Sisters Of Perpetual Indulgence. They are a serious group, a registered non-profit who do charity work as well as activism. They are hardly new.

Quote:

Sister Irma Geddon of the Portland, Oregon-based Order of Benevolent Bliss offered her view of the efficacy of using nun's clothing and drag: "The lightness of everything, in addition to the whiteface and the nun's habits, are a mechanism to reach out to people. When we're dressed up like that, kind of like sacred clowns, it allows people to interact with us."[28]

Hey, whatever works. There are all different approaches.
Actors have been doing increasingly sexual scenes for years. Maybe we should stop taking kids to movies.

Anyway, that whataboutism aside, in my 4 decades on this planet, I've always had interesting friends and have been supportive to them.

I've been to many drag shows in multiple cities. Most of them are campy AF, but not sexual at all.

Beyond that, my personal childhood: due to my parents's health issues and very VERY messy divorce, I was raised primarily by my grandmother. She owned a beauty supply and wig wholesale and retail business (coincidentally, Disney was one of her biggest customers). She had LOTS of drag queens as clients.

Needless to say that I was exposed to drag culture at a very young age? How young? One of her regular drag customers actually helped me proofread some of my homework before while waiting for a wig that was special ordered to be grabbed out of the warehouse.

Anyway, with that level of exposure to drag, guess what kind of human I ended up as now that I'm a middle aged adult? A straight male who has a wife and kid he adores, works and races on cars for fun, and participates in political, beer, and car podcasts.

So much for the grooming your post implies.
Clearly you turned out a disaster. 😉

Tony the Tigger

but that’s not the image of drag that get plastered on the news… you see the ones who are mocking nuns, or the ones with scary clown makeup, or the ones with horns… I think people instantly start to question whether it’s a good idea to expose kids to drag because the ones that make the news are the extremes that come off as “crazy” people.
…but, with all due respect: that’s the news you’re choosing to watch.

And that’s the image of drag they’re editing into loops to show you - knowing you’ve probably never seen it for yourself.

The extremes that “make” the “news” are not volunteering for story hour.

Think about the type of probably single male adult who would take time out of their day to read to other peoples’ kids. I’ve never bothered to do that. I have other things to do.

Now think about that guy taking an hour or more to get into costume and going to deal with who knows how bratty kids who probably have more germs than pigeons.

Do you think that guy’s agenda is to sexualize children? Come on. Much easier to take them to Hooters for that result. (Btw, that’s legal.)

He’s applying the skills he already has for his job into a fun hour for kids. Yes, much like a clown.

If there is any agenda other than the obvious (reading) then it may be outreach - so kids see the truth: people who are different are nothing to fear.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Are those fighting words? I can't tell.

Funny Real Estate Story: I was touring new homes in a development last year, and the sales hostess made a point of stating that there were "credible reports" that Trader Joe's was staking out a location in town. She said this in the same proud and reverential tone she would have announced to a young couple with 3 kids that the local school district "was ranked in the Top 20 in America".

I admired her salesmanship and responded with my best... "Oh, really? Well, that's good to factor in to this decision." 🤔
With much love, sort of. Wegman's is the best general supermarket in the NE:inlove: so we're talking about food in the NE compared to everywhere else;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom