Disney’s Chief Diversity Officer Exits Role

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Normal - conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.

Cool.

Men dressing as woman within the context of entertainment, aka drag queens, have been a normal thing for centuries. Sounds normal to me.

Gaslighting - a type of manipulation where the manipulator is trying to get someone else (or a group of people) to question their own reality, memory or perceptions.

When did I get someone to question their own reality, memory, or perceptions? Chicago is well known to be an LGBTQ+ friendly city, and the poster I replied to implies that they're from Chicago through their username and avatar.

That minor incongruence confused me, that's all.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is something that's been happening for years in large diverse cities. For someone whose profile implies they're from Chicago - a major city where this has happened - I'm surprised you never heard of this.
Oh, I've definitely heard of it being done recently. What I said is it's a fairly recent thing; not drag shows, but the mainstreaming of them. I have no problem with it, but I can understand how people who were never exposed to the mainstreaming element would have an entirely different idea of them. My point was that maybe we can avoid labeling those people as hateful.

mkt

Premium Member
Oh, I've definitely heard of it being done recently. What I said is it's a fairly recent thing; not drag shows, but the mainstreaming of them. I have no problem with it, but I can understand how people who were never exposed to the mainstreaming element would have an entirely different idea of them. My point was that maybe we can avoid labeling those people as hateful.

Their ignorance isn't what's hateful. It's their reaction to it that I view hateful.

If you don't like something, but it doesn't impact anyone in a negative way, the best thing to do is just to ignore it.

But trying to get them to stop living their lives as they want while not hurting anyone, just because you don't like it is quite hateful.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Cool.

Men dressing as woman within the context of entertainment, aka drag queens, have been a normal thing for centuries. Sounds normal to me.
It has been a form of adult entertainment and sexual in nature for years...decades. But is it really a stretch to understand why many people cannot get their heads around the fact that there has been an increase in the attempt to convert it to a form of children's entertainment? They ask why and for what purpose?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
drag acts have only been mainstream since at least 1955. A very recent thing.
Z.jpg

Chi84

Premium Member
Cool.

When did I get someone to question their own reality, memory, or perceptions? Chicago is well known to be an LGBTQ+ friendly city, and the poster I replied to implies that they're from Chicago through their username and avatar.

That minor incongruence confused me, that's all.
Please reread my posts on this subject. I was talking only about drag queen story hours for children - that's it - not implying that I had never heard of drag shows. I'm not even saying that it was unheard of to have children at drag shows - just that it was not a thing to have drag queens in the community at children's story hours (which I also don't oppose in any way). Also, my definition of recently is the last 10 years.

lazyboy97o

It has been a form of adult entertainment and sexual in nature for years...decades. Is it really a stretch to understand why many people cannot get their heads around the fact that there has been an increase in the attempt to convert it to a form of children's entertainment? They ask why and for what purpose?
Is the end of Mulan not children’s entertainment?

mkt

Premium Member
It has been a form of adult entertainment and sexual in nature for years...decades. Is it really a stretch to understand why many people cannot get their heads around the fact that there has been an increase in the attempt to convert it to a form of children's entertainment? They ask why and for what purpose?

Actors have been doing increasingly sexual scenes for years. Maybe we should stop taking kids to movies.

Anyway, that whataboutism aside, in my 4 decades on this planet, I've always had interesting friends and have been supportive to them.

I've been to many drag shows in multiple cities. Most of them are campy AF, but not sexual at all.

Beyond that, my personal childhood: due to my parents's health issues and very VERY messy divorce, I was raised primarily by my grandmother. She owned a beauty supply and wig wholesale and retail business (coincidentally, Disney was one of her biggest customers). She had LOTS of drag queens as clients.

Needless to say that I was exposed to drag culture at a very young age. How young? One of her regular drag customers actually helped me proofread some of my homework before while waiting for a wig that was special ordered to be grabbed out of the warehouse.

Anyway, with that level of exposure to drag, guess what kind of human I ended up as now that I'm a middle aged adult? A straight male who has a wife and kid he adores, works on and races cars for fun, and participates in political, beer, and car podcasts.

So much for the grooming your post implies.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
It has been a form of adult entertainment and sexual in nature for years...decades. But is it really a stretch to understand why many people cannot get their heads around the fact that there has been an increase in the attempt to convert it to a form of children's entertainment? They ask why and for what purpose?

It's silly and campy. You know, like. Bugs Bunny.

You're telling me that Bugs Bunny isn't children's entertainment?

1687445725427.png

Chi84

Premium Member
Their ignorance isn't what's hateful. It's their reaction to it that I view hateful.

If you don't like something, but it doesn't impact anyone in a negative way, the best thing to do is just to ignore it.

But trying to get them to stop living their lives as they want while not hurting anyone, just because you don't like it is quite hateful.
Yes, that was exactly my point. We should stop trying to control people by passing laws against or protesting things that they don't like. I just feel the label of "bigot" is being thrown around too lightly these days. It makes conversation difficult when people are labeled for not immediately accepting something that is fairly unusual. Education and explanation work better, but only if the other party is also willing to discuss.

mkt

Premium Member
just feel the label of "bigot" is being thrown around too lightly these days.
It's not that hard to do when people act in a bigoted manner.

Asking questions is fine. Stopping people from living their lives - in a way that harms no one - is bigoted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom