Disney’s Chief Diversity Officer Exits Role

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Variety reports Disney's Chief Diversity Officer, Latondra Newton, has exited her role after 6 years.

Here's the memo from Disney's HR Chief Sonia Coleman.

To our extended DEI and HR team,

I’m writing to share the news that Latondra Newton has decided to leave The Walt Disney Company to pursue other endeavors.

Since joining the company in 2017, Latondra has led the company’s strategic diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, including partnering with stakeholders across the enterprise to amplify stories of the world by people around the world. She has been dedicated to ensuring every person sees themselves and their life experiences represented in a meaningful and authentic way.

I know you all join me in thanking Latondra for her many contributions, including the lasting impact she has had on our employees and our culture. Working alongside all of you and so many others, she has inspired countless cast members and employees to bring about lasting change and to help create a world where we can all feel safe and we all belong.

Latondra’s direct reports will report to Julie Merges on an interim basis until a new DEI leader is identified. I want to thank Julie for leading this team along with her Talent Acquisition organization. Additionally, Shelby Curry and the DEI Internal Communications team will continue reporting to Carrie Brown in her role leading internal communications & engagement for the company.

Thank you all for your continued contributions to our DEI efforts. I know we can count on you to keep this important work moving forward during this leadership transitions.

Gratefully,

Sonia

CaptainMickey

Great News! She was the leading force behind the killing of some classics, like Splash Mountain, "We want the Redhead" at PoTC, and "Ladies and gentlemen, Boy and girls" announcements. She did start Dudes with beards dressed as fairy godmothers at the Parks. Who knows how much money the "Reimagine Tomorrow" disaster is costing Disney. Good luck pursuing your other endeavors!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Trouble ahead…

1687319072041.gif

mickEblu

Great News! She was the leading force behind the killing of some classics, like Splash Mountain, "We want the Redhead" at PoTC, and "Ladies and gentlemen, Boy and girls" announcements. She did start Dudes with beards dressed as fairy godmothers at the Parks. Who knows how much money the "Reimagine Tomorrow" disaster is costing Disney. Good luck pursuing your other endeavors!

Must have really been a slow month when she spearheaded the elimination of “ladies and gentlemen boys and girls” from the MSEP. Had to justify that salary!

CaptainAmerica

I don’t think she had a political job. She was supposed to work on diversity and inclusion, which are social issues.
That's not what she did. The Reimagine Tomorrow program is a horrible, divisive program that pits employees against each other. Networking and advancement opportunities are literally given out based on race and gender. It's immoral, probably illegal, and it has entirely poisoned the company culture.

She's also a grifter. She's an "artist" who sells costume jewelry for thousands of dollars, which feels an awful lot like a way for people who want to leverage her power and influence to funnel her money.

CaptainMickey

Don’t they just say something like “dreamers of all ages” now? Isn’t that accurate? Seems like it gets the job done.
You are missing a huge point just like she did. No one goes to Disney to be "accurate" They go there to enjoy the Legacy, the History, the tradition of Disney and the Parks. For generations. There are tons of details that make Disney, Disney. Every time I went to Disney with my daughter growing up we would say "We want the Red Head!" along with the Pirates and Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and girls at the start of the fireworks. Those are definitely small details but are some of my favorite Disney memories. Latondra didn't seem to be a Disney fan and didn't "get" a lot of the details she was destroying. She just seemed to be walking around the Parks looking for stuff to be offended by to justify her job and salary.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

She's also a grifter. She's an "artist" who sells costume jewelry for thousands of dollars, which feels an awful lot like a way for people who want to leverage her power and influence to funnel her money.
What could possibly go wrong? The same person who decides upon which identity of the week promotions are based sells her 'artwork' - $5 trinkets - for $$$$$ to those networking their way up.

mickEblu

When you’re in a position like hers at a huge conglomerate like Disney, you are not just a reflection of what’s going on in the world. You are literally shaping reality. I’m glad to see her go. Best Disney news I’ve read in a very long time. But we don’t believe she “quit” right?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's not what she did. The Reimagine Tomorrow program is a horrible, divisive program that pits employees against each other. Networking and advancement opportunities are literally given out based on race and gender. It's immoral, probably illegal, and it has entirely poisoned the company culture.

She worked on “inclusion” at Toyota…

Huh? Some sorta need for the accord and civic? Where they only sold in the parking lot of the augusta national golf club prior?

Please…you need someone with creative experience there too…from a studio, publishing house, broadcast…SOMETHING relavent.

A reminder: chapek sold ketchup and Toiled in the stock room at the DTD WOD for years…look how well that translated? 😬

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
You are missing a huge point just like she did. No one goes to Disney to be "accurate" They go there to enjoy the Legacy, the History, the tradition of Disney and the Parks. For generations. There are tons of details that make Disney, Disney. Every time I went to Disney with my daughter growing up we would say "We want the Red Head!" along with the Pirates and Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and girls at the start of the fireworks. Those are definitely small details but are some of my favorite Disney memories. Latondra didn't seem to be a Disney fan and didn't "get" a lot of the details she was destroying. She just seemed to be walking around the Parks looking for stuff to be offended by to justify her job and salary.
Things change. Whether or not the the changes are good are based on one's perspective, but Disney is never going to go back to how it was.

Chi84

Premium Member

As one who missed out on opportunities based on gender, I know how exactly how it feels. Some look at current programs as a correction for past injustices that have caused lasting societal problems; others take it much harder when they're on the receiving end of the injustice. I understand and am not going to argue about this because it goes nowhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom