DHS New "Flex" Theater

doctornick

Could they re-located Streets of America somewhere else in the park to keep the Osborne Lights around? That would be prime real estate fir a Star Wars expansion.

My main concern about Star Wars taking over the current SoA footprint is that the Muppets is right in the middle there. I would like to keep that theater/attraction (and, in fact, would love to see Pizza Planet moved to be near the Toy Story stuff and replaced with a Muppets themed eatery).

lazyboy97o

My main concern about Star Wars taking over the current SoA footprint is that the Muppets is right in the middle there. I would like to keep that theater/attraction (and, in fact, would love to see Pizza Planet moved to be near the Toy Story stuff and replaced with a Muppets themed eatery).
Star Wars was the focus of an episode of The Muppet Show, which ABC is apparently interested in rebooting. It's synergy!

ToTBellHop

I love the Muppets and still find MuppetVision to be hilarious, but I would hate nostalgia over a 25-year old 3D show to lead to a sub-par Star Wars land. If Disney intends for SW content to go on Streets of America, continuous with Star Tours, the Muppets have to go. If, on the other hand, SW content will replace Indy, Sounds Dangerous, and Echo Lake, the Muppets can stay and there is still room for the supposed Cars ride on top of LMA and Catastrophe Canyon. Of course this all is hypothetical. I just don't want nostalgia to give Disney an excuse to say "maybe we just need some theming and a Star Wars restaurant and we will call it a day." I have similar feelings toward Star Wars replacing Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin in Disneyland.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Yeah, getting rid of SoA doesn't really free up much usable space since it's just facades in front of buildings that house other attractions.

kdouglas97

I'd love to see this space used to create a Disney Repertory Theater that shows different productions on different days of the week or at different times of the day. You could start with some of the shows that are already produced like Beauty and the Beast and the Little Mermaid and add in shows from the other parks like Aladdin and Tangled, and throw in abridged versions of broadway shows like Newsies and Mary Poppins. Keep things rotating, and keep things fresh.

roj2323

It's the only park where they can feature their diverse properties:
  • MK has to remain "classic Disney" for the most part, introducing primarily new animation characters (e.g. Frozen)
  • Epcot is the continual World's Fair although there is "character creep" (not to harp on Frozen but that's the first that comes to mind with the renovation of Norway)
  • Animal Kingdom is just that connecting other Disney properties where appropriate to animal themes. (One can argue about Avatarland but it would probably fit the old "Beastly Kingdom" concept)
  • With HS, you can feature Star Wars, Muppets, Marvel (where allowed), and classic Disney all in the same park and there be no conflict of "theme"
I hate to break it to you but muppets probably isn't going to survive this. The attraction's numbers are abismoal
Yeah, getting rid of SoA doesn't really free up much usable space since it's just facades in front of buildings that house other attractions.
having worked at the park for nearly 2 years I absolutely disagree. There is plenty of room.

cjk0318

Your idea is fantastic, and something I hadn't thought of before. It would certainly be very easy to move and would make an outstanding Monstropolis with minimal changes.

I doubt the whole thing would go, but it's conceivable a block or two could move over to Pixar Place to make Monstropolis.

If they don't do something like that, I could see (and have heard it's a very good possibility) the Osbourne Lights moving to some of the new multi-story buildings in Disney Springs. It would certainly bring crowds to the new retailers.
The Osborne Lights will have a new home soon- maybe not 2015, but 2016 for sure.

roj2323

SOA facades hold not an awful lot.
No but the space behind them does. The façades are also about 10 feet deep in themselves just with the steel structure that holds them up. In some places that area is actually deeper a good example of that is Honey I shrunk the kids in the island buildings between New York St. in San Francisco St.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No but the space behind them does. The façades are also about 10 feet deep in themselves just with the steel structure that holds them up..
Indeed. Once the playground goes that's one facade corner gone, the southern most quarter holds nothing, North East has space before the Dine In and South East will reveal Muppetvision better.

Removing the facades will also of course mean the substructure goes with them. Sadly perhaps.

doctornick

I hate to break it to you but muppets probably isn't going to survive this. The attraction's numbers are abismoal

Well, let me put it another way. If you get rid of Muppets, then that is yet another lost attraction that needs to be made up with new additions. And it's an all ages thing to book in a park that needs all ages stuff. And, realistically, DHS doesn't need to just replace the attractions that have been shut down, they need a large number of additions.

As for MuppetVision itself, I'm not wedded to the particular show (though I do indeed like it) but would like to see The Muppets have some presence in DHS. I just think that if MuppetVision went away, we might not have a replacement attraction for that crew.

doctornick

Indeed. Once the playground goes that's one facade corner gone, the southern most quarter holds nothing, North East has space before the Dine In and South East will reveal Muppetvision better.

Removing the facades will also of course mean the substructure goes with them. Sadly perhaps.

If you don't mind my asking, Martin: do you have any idea if the façades are going away? Is that area expected to be part of expansion for SW? Or Pixar stuff?

Vegas Disney Fan

IMHO the only thing in SoA worth saving is Muppets and that could be moved to the vacant American Idol theater fairly easily, everything else behind the facades is replaceable. What else is back there? Backlot theater (which is usually closed), Backlot tour (which is closed), LMA, 2 shops, Mama Melrose's, Pizza Planet, and a couple small meet and greets. That's a ton of space for a ride, a show, and a couple of shops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom