News D23 Expo 2019

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't think it's big enough. Swolphin might be. But it doesn't have the parking.

For those staying at a Disney resort, they can use the bus system to get to any of the convention halls at any of the convention resorts. For those driving in, they can park at any of the park parking lots and bus to their hall of choice. Then extra buses can be added for more direct routes as needed.

The real problem is that no convention center at WDW is going to want to have huge mobs camping overnight at a resort where there will be regular guests. D23 would have to limit tickets to each presentation and not have any 'standby' lines.

I guess I don't understand D23's overbooking strategy except as a money grab of those shut out of the presentations they want to see.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It does but not nearly enough unless they held specific panels in different resorts.

Not even close. Wdw only has true convention sized spaces at contemporary and at the swan-dolphin. And just ONE of Anaheim’s halls is bigger than the entire swandolphin. Contemporary is the same or smaller. Neither have anywhere near the kind of capacity nor infrastructure for these large industry sized events. They are too small by multiplies... the multi big 5000+ panels plus convention floor space is what makes wdw not a good fit.

Anaheim is one of the biggest convention centers in the country. The only hope for an east coast thing would be the Orlando convention center.

EricsBiscuit

Not even close. Wdw only has true convention sized spaces at contemporary and at the swan-dolphin. And just ONE of Anaheim’s halls is bigger than the entire swandolphin. Contemporary is the same or smaller. Neither have anywhere near the kind of capacity nor infrastructure for these large industry sized events. They are too small by multiplies... the multi big 5000+ panels plus convention floor space is what makes wdw not a good fit.

Anaheim is one of the biggest convention centers in the country. The only hope for an east coast thing would be the Orlando convention center.
Okay. All I said was that there is convention space at WDW. That’s what the person was asking. They could only do a D23 level convention if they split it between all their convention space and then some.

Edit: oh and the OCCC is over 4 times larger than Anaheim’s. 😃

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay. All I said was that there is convention space at WDW. That’s what the person was asking. They could only do a D23 level convention if they split it between all their convention space and then some.

Only if you ignore the entiry of my post. Which was to say that no... that statement is still not correct. Even putting all of wdw resources together isn’t even a comparison to locations like Anaheim or occc

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The Swan and Dolphin are technically convention hotels, though I'm not sure what kind of capacity they have. I'd imagine some exists in the Disney Springs hotels too. I've been to the Hilton's conference rooms and they are nice but very moderate capacity wise.

Grand Floridian has an actual Convention Center but having been to conferences there in Oct 2015, Jan 2017, and Nov 2017 [my job at the time paid for me to go to one medical conference per year in a place of my choosing anywhere in the lower 48... can I help it that I found ones that interested me at WDW? ;)], the GF does not have nearly enough room. Rather small in the grand scheme of convention centers.

There are convention spaces at a bunch of the WDW resorts, but no single venue large enough to accommodate D23.

EricsBiscuit

For me? It was surprisingly better than I expected. But I didn’t overnight or wait longer than a few hours for Disney+ and now Parks and snuck in the back of legends. You have to do the opposite of everyone, aka arrive late (10am) or early but not that early (6am).

The gold pass would be worth it for Americans.
That’s essentially what we’ve done. We showed up late and spent the mornings at DL and DCA except for today to avoid the lines getting in. D23 has awful crowd management.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There are convention spaces at a bunch of the WDW resorts, but no single venue large enough to accommodate D23.

Not even if all the facilities shared the work. Wdw only has 4 small convention halls... nearly all which would fit in one Anaheim hall. the rest is built out to support the typical “meeting conference”.... lots and lots of smaller breakout rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom