Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

No Name

My question is why build a whole new park while you have issues in WDW especially Epcot.

Because growth is key to any company's future. And Epcot is not suffering at all. It's far from its full potential, but it's certainly not suffering, at least in the eyes of Disney. It is actually doing very well for them.

But onto Shanghai... we complain about Disney not putting money into new projects and such. And now they're actually doing that, but we're still complaining. Shanghai Disneyland is most certainly the biggest thing for the division since Paris in 1992, and I would say it's even bigger. I'd say it's the biggest thing since WDW, which is exciting.

Cutting operational costs, squeezing more money out of guests... all of that is artificial growth. It make's today's profits higher, but doesn't help the company tomorrow. Shanghai Disneyland the opposite, it's real growth. It'll make the Parks and Resorts division larger and let more people experience the parks. It will most certainly pay off down the road, just as WDW and Disneyland have. Sure, there have been cost overruns. Sure, there have been delays. But Shanghai Disneyland is a good thing for the company, and I wish others would see that.

seabreezept813

Please explain how leaving the park long before security sweeps Main Street exhibits a pattern of "not getting caught". Make sure to include the part where I clearly say that I am nowhere near to being the last person out of the park.

I think the "abuse" you are confused about is assuming that the park closing time is negotiable or up for debate. When you extend your stay you negatively affect employees who need to close the park. If this were not "abuse" then the park would lengthen its hours to accomodate your photography session and then said 1 hour plus photo session would be acceptable. Even if tightened security is because of Shanghai or Iger it would be one adjustment that benefits their workers.

Mike S

Because growth is key to any company's future. And Epcot is not suffering at all. It's far from its full potential, but it's certainly not suffering, at least in the eyes of Disney. It is actually doing very well for them.

But onto Shanghai... we complain about Disney not putting money into new projects and such. And now they're actually doing that, but we're still complaining. Shanghai Disneyland is most certainly the biggest thing for the division since Paris in 1992, and I would say it's even bigger. I'd say it's the biggest thing since WDW, which is exciting.

Cutting operational costs, squeezing more money out of guests... all of that is artificial growth. It make's today's profits higher, but doesn't help the company tomorrow. Shanghai Disneyland the opposite, it's real growth. It'll make the Parks and Resorts division larger and let more people experience the parks. It will most certainly pay off down the road, just as WDW and Disneyland have. Sure, there have been cost overruns. Sure, there have been delays. But Shanghai Disneyland is a good thing for the company, and I wish others would see that.
Thing is most of us here will likely never go to Shanghai. What we really care about is WDW.

Cesar R M

The issue they know it has is it is a model that is unsustainable.

And that's today's model. The wood that's propping it up is starting to rot.
I'm actually surprised why they didnt try to make other festivals to cover the other months..
for example.. Tech Months.. Where they attract tech giants like Samsung, intel..etc.. to showcase their stuff in futureworld area.
Then.. dunno, Space stuff as well? NASA, China, Europa and Russian space stuff?

Cesar R M

And how does it benefit the occident side at all (as in US who are in the American continent)?
I dont think anyone(except maybe lifestylers and lifelong pixie dusted fans) will think about traveling to Shangai just to the park.. A park build for chinese individuals.

Cesar R M

So the biggest thing folks have to look forward to in WDW in the near future is Frozen at Epcot? Or the refurbished bathrooms in City Hall?

=p
nah, Avatar and ROL are the primetimes for now. then Star Wars land. but its still a long wait.. even if there are no delays (which we will probably see)

Matt_Black

So the biggest thing folks have to look forward to in WDW in the near future is Frozen at Epcot? Or the refurbished bathrooms in City Hall?

=p

Rivers of Light, Nighttime Safaris, new shows in Magic Kingdom and DHS, and then later down the pipeline Avatarland, Toy Story Land, and Star Wars Land. And that's to say nothing of the stuff going on over at Disney Springs.

ParentsOf4

Yeah, I've long since learned that "WDW isn't adding anything" = "WDW isn't adding anything I want!"
Yeah, WDW is adding over the next few years but because the parks had mostly stagnated over the prior decade, it's difficult for some to accept that this aspect of the narrative has changed.

As you note, even those who acknowledge the additions lament that it's not what they want. I've read numerous posts about what some want and, frankly, a lot of it seems unrealistic. Me? I'm waiting to experience Pandora, SWL, etc. before passing judgement.

Of course, there is understandable concern for the budgets of these projects since Disney seems unable to change a trash can without spending a million, and Disney's senior management has shown itself to be focused on costs over content.

What has gotten worse this year are price increases (the largest in a decade) and budget cuts (reported by numerous CMs) at a time when WDW is experiencing record crowds. :(

Mike S

Rivers of Light, Nighttime Safaris, new shows in Magic Kingdom and DHS, and then later down the pipeline Avatarland, Toy Story Land, and Star Wars Land. And that's to say nothing of the stuff going on over at Disney Springs.
Avatar and Star Wars are the only big ones. Everything else is pretty much a side dish.

ToTBellHop

I'm actually surprised why they didnt try to make other festivals to cover the other months..
for example.. Tech Months.. Where they attract tech giants like Samsung, intel..etc.. to showcase their stuff in futureworld area.
That very idea was seriously considered a couple years back.

AEfx

Yeah, well guess what? I enjoy side dishes with my main course. "Do you want your French Fries, sir?" Heck YES I want my dang French Fries!

Yes, but we haven't had a "main course" in quite some time. And it will be years before we get a chance at another one with Pandora and SWL.

Until opening day of these attractions, they are subject to cuts and reductions and "value engineering" - so I think many of us are just wary enough to not count our chickens before WDW hatches them.

So they added some lights on the Safari - big whoop. Disney Springs? Please. It's a damn shopping mall. Are we really going to congratulate them for rebuilding a shopping mall they should have done properly many years ago?

I can't tell what's gotten into you, Matt - LOL - where did they grab you and force the Kool-Aid down your throat?

brb1006

Yes, but we haven't had a "main course" in quite some time. And it will be years before we get a chance at another one with Pandora and SWL.

Until opening day of these attractions, they are subject to cuts and reductions and "value engineering" - so I think many of us are just wary enough to not count our chickens before WDW hatches them.

So they added some lights on the Safari - big whoop. Disney Springs? Please. It's a damn shopping mall. Are we really going to congratulate them for rebuilding a shopping mall they should have done properly many years ago?

I can't tell what's gotten into you, Matt - LOL - where did they grab you and force the Kool-Aid down your throat?
I'm more looking forward to River Of Light once the technical issues finally get worked out later this year.

Biff215

I actually like those ideas, as they would bring some life to FW. The problem on Disney's side is they want everything to sell food and alcohol so they can look at the bottom line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom