Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Megbutnotmegan

About the smelliness... I went on the Keys tour last week and while under Main Street the guide showed us the mechanism used to add the scents to the air. She said this is no longer used because the bakery and confectionary add the real scents so the other isn't needed any longer. It seemed odd to me but I can't imagine the savings from turning that off is very much.

JoeCamel

About the smelliness... I went on the Keys tour last week and while under Main Street the guide showed us the mechanism used to add the scents to the air. She said this is no longer used because the bakery and confectionary add the real scents so the other isn't needed any longer. It seemed odd to me but I can't imagine the savings from turning that off is very much.

Should have asked how long since it was used. My understanding is they were hard to maintain and have not been in service for 15+ years so you wonder why they keep them in place. I don't think they worked very well from the get go, I don't remember ever being impressed by the smell. How was the smell from the garbage transporter? That is pretty rank most of the time.

Brad Bishop

They're still horribly run parks.

I think it depends on what you're going for. If you're looking for Disney, nope. They aren't Disney. If you're looking for Universal then, again, nope..

For what they do, they do OK. They're FAR better off than where they were 15 years back when they were stuck in debt and selling stuff off to try to stay afloat while at the same time their parks were trashy and the employees horrible. They've really come a long way. The parks are a lot nicer, the employees are friendly/helpful. No, it's not Disney. I don't know that they're much more than a regional destination but I don't think you could say that they're still run horribly. 10-15 years ago, absolutely. Now? No. They actually seem to be doing OK now.

I think they're still recovering from the idiot decisions from the late 1990s, early 2000s, though, with that bad perception being stuck in folk's minds.

I think that you could make a pretty good argument that Disney parks are being run into the ground right now with too-little, too-late on the updates, festivals instead of updates, increased costs and lots of cutbacks in staff, attractions, and entertainment.

They're still packed right now because people make plans and don't know but when you see trash cans regularly over filling and general poor upkeep of the parks and you're paying a premium, you're probably going to remember that sting in years to come.

Speedy71

So basically this is Disney's message to us all:

Hello, welcome to Disney World. You are now paying more than you ever have for our tickets, resorts, food, and souvenirs. In return you are going to get less customer service, you will wait longer in stores when trying to buy our souvenirs, longer in restaurants when trying to buy our food, longer at the resorts when trying to check in and oh by the wait we are cutting hours on attractions and parks so you have less time to be at the parks and do stuff at the parks. Oh yeah, one of our theme parks is also going under a major remodel so it is gonna be almost half empty in a few months. Good news is our attendance is up so you have more people to be crowded in with and wait behind. Oh and this has nothing to do with our domestic parks, it is due to our international parks not doing what we need them to do.. Have fun!!

I mean I love Disney but they are making it harder and harder to love them as days go on. Higher prices, less things to do, more people there.. It is a shame.

And don't forget no known refurbs yet.

CaptainAmerica

Should have asked how long since it was used. My understanding is they were hard to maintain and have not been in service for 15+ years so you wonder why they keep them in place. I don't think they worked very well from the get go, I don't remember ever being impressed by the smell. How was the smell from the garbage transporter? That is pretty rank most of the time.
That's definitely incorrect.

RSoxNo1

I think it depends on what you're going for. If you're looking for Disney, nope. They aren't Disney. If you're looking for Universal then, again, nope..

For what they do, they do OK. They're FAR better off than where they were 15 years back when they were stuck in debt and selling stuff off to try to stay afloat while at the same time their parks were trashy and the employees horrible. They've really come a long way. The parks are a lot nicer, the employees are friendly/helpful. No, it's not Disney. I don't know that they're much more than a regional destination but I don't think you could say that they're still run horribly. 10-15 years ago, absolutely. Now? No. They actually seem to be doing OK now.

I think they're still recovering from the idiot decisions from the late 1990s, early 2000s, though, with that bad perception being stuck in folk's minds.

I think that you could make a pretty good argument that Disney parks are being run into the ground right now with too-little, too-late on the updates, festivals instead of updates, increased costs and lots of cutbacks in staff, attractions, and entertainment.

They're still packed right now because people make plans and don't know but when you see trash cans regularly over filling and general poor upkeep of the parks and you're paying a premium, you're probably going to remember that sting in years to come.
I'm talking operationally, they are run horrible. A few years ago I had an extensive back and forth with the head of their parks operations, identifying major problems I witnessed on a trip to Magic Mountain. I even offered pro bono consulting work. I returned a few years later to see the same awful operational issues.

Six Flags excels at one thing well, possessing excellent roller coasters. They have very little interest in getting people on those roller coasters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom