cremated ashes at WDW

reporterguy

Original Poster
Hello,
I'm a reporter for The Associated Press based in Orlando, Fla. I'm working on a somewhat broad story about death at Disney, which seeks to debunk some myths and explain the reality. Part of the reason I got into this story was the surprising number of people who seem to think Disney guests are getting hurt a lot. For the number of people there on a daily basis, that simply isn't true.
An interesting part of this discussion, to me, is the number of people who want to spread their ashes at WDW, or already have. I'm curious how pervasive this wish is, and want to talk with more folks with this idea/experience.
Do you know anyone who had or wished to have his or her ashes spread at Disney? Would you want to be put to rest there?
(It bears mention that the park, of course, does not allow this practice, but it has been known to happen anyway).
You can reach me via email at tmreed@ap.org, or telephone at 407.425.4547. Or in response to this message.
Thank you!
-Travis Reed

Doombuggy13

Hello,
I'm a reporter for The Associated Press based in Orlando, Fla. I'm working on a somewhat broad story about death at Disney, which seeks to debunk some myths and explain the reality. Part of the reason I got into this story was the surprising number of people who seem to think Disney guests are getting hurt a lot. For the number of people there on a daily basis, that simply isn't true.
An interesting part of this discussion, to me, is the number of people who want to spread their ashes at WDW, or already have. I'm curious how pervasive this wish is, and want to talk with more folks with this idea/experience.
Do you know anyone who had or wished to have his or her ashes spread at Disney? Would you want to be put to rest there?
(It bears mention that the park, of course, does not allow this practice, but it has been known to happen anyway).
You can reach me via email at tmreed@ap.org, or telephone at 407.425.4547. Or in response to this message.
Thank you!
-Travis Reed

Hello Travis,
I am a Licensed Funeral Director in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State and yes, I do in fact know of many people who would love to have their cremated remains scattered at the parks. I also understand why WDW does not allow this and fully support their policy. This however does not stop people from doing it. In my professional career, I have recommended to people that maybe they would like to have a custom cremation urn made with the image of POTC or the Haunted Mansion laser etched on them,and then take them home, this way they have some of the Disney Magic they desire and are adhering to State of Florida Laws and WDW Rules.

brkgnews

Travis, welcome to the boards... to help us verify your... well... veracity, please put the following in order from least serious to most serious...

Bulletin, Urgent, APNewsAlert, Flash

For bonus points, which has not been used since the computerization of the AP wire service? When was the last time it was used, and what was it in relation to?

And for super duper no-doubt about who you are bonus points... And who was "Siht El Otsipueht?"

reporterguy

Original Poster
Hmmm.. on the last question I have no idea.
But it goes Urgent, APNewsAlert, Bulletin. I've never used a Flash, so I'd guess that one went away with the teletype. Bulletins are used sparingly -- for ultra-big news. I've never filed one of those either, but they're still out there.
Do I pass?

brkgnews

I suppose ;)

Though typically an APNewsAlert is the one-sentence alert sent out when the story just breaks, followed by either an urgent or a bulletin. The moon landing was the last flash, by the way.

And Siht El Otsipueht was (if the legend is to be believed), a false name used on the wires back when the AP felt the UPI was stealing info from them. They posted a story about civil unrest in some little country in the middle of nowhere, and mentioned the ruthless dictator Siht El Otsipueht. Once the UPI picked up on the story and printed it, the AP had their proof. After all when you spell Siht El Otsipueht backwards, you get... "theupistolethis."

And now you know... the rrrrrrest of the story. :)

jsdratm

I think it is a silly superstition that people want their ashes scattered in a specific place, as though it somehow makes a difference. Scattering ashes on private property without permission is pretty bad and I think Disney is right to oppose people doing it. Ashes themselves aren't really bad, but it is littering and I'm sure it is a pain to clean up, especially if it is dumped on ride tracks or in ride water. Plus, many people find it disturbing or disgusting to think that there are human remains present in an attraction. Would these people like strangers walking into their living room and dumping a pile of human ashes behind their recliner?

Tim G

Travis, welcome to the boards... to help us verify your... well... veracity, please put the following in order from least serious to most serious...

Bulletin, Urgent, APNewsAlert, Flash

For bonus points, which has not been used since the computerization of the AP wire service? When was the last time it was used, and what was it in relation to?

And for super duper no-doubt about who you are bonus points... And who was "Siht El Otsipueht?"
:D :D :D

Tim G

Well this whole thread can't be taken seriously... can it... :animwink:

But to get real serious on this, maybe there's some free space available beneath C.O.P. beside Walt's cryogenic tank...

LeeLee D

I don't know if any of this is serious, but (legality aside) would I want to be scattered at WDW?

Absolutely!

.....cue sappy music....

The happy moments of my childhood were at Disney and I can't think of a better place to RIP.

The real question is if the Good Lord will let me leave Heaven and hang at WDW. That would be cool - Eternal Fastpass!!:sohappy:

elizs77

I can't help w/ the topic, but I can let everyone know that the phone number listed in the OP really is the Orlando AP office number as listed on the AP website.

WDWFigment

If you search for "ashes" and "pirates of the caribbean" here, you'll find a long thread from last fall where a good portion of the board voices their opinions on this topic.

Personally, I want to have little bits of my ashes spread in different places of WDW and the authorities immediately notified. That way, large portions of the park will have to be closed off to clean me up. I figure as long as I'm dead, I might as well cause a huge ruckus...and what are they going to do to me...I'm already dead :shrug:

chris chris

I don't know if any of this is serious, but (legality aside) would I want to be scattered at WDW?

Absolutely!

.....cue sappy music....

The happy moments of my childhood were at Disney and I can't think of a better place to RIP.

The real question is if the Good Lord will let me leave Heaven and hang at WDW. That would be cool - Eternal Fastpass!!:sohappy:
:sohappy::ROFLOL:
:ROFLOL:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you search for "ashes" and "pirates of the caribbean" here, you'll find a long thread from last fall where a good portion of the board voices their opinions on this topic.

Personally, I want to have little bits of my ashes spread in different places of WDW and the authorities immediately notified. That way, large portions of the park will have to be closed off to clean me up. I figure as long as I'm dead, I might as well cause a huge ruckus...and what are they going to do to me...I'm already dead :shrug:

Or simply scroll down to the bottom of the page, it will tell you exactly where it is under "Similar Threads". :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom