Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheriffwoody

I'm in the same boat as far as the vacation likely being canceled. I expect that, if the parks are actually closed, Disney will extend Annual Passes for some period of time. I suspect the fine print indicates that they don't have to do that, but I think they will anyways. Will it be long enough for you to make a return trip and use the extra time...well, maybe not.
If they do extend them, we might could make it work, but we'll definitely play it by ear! My kid is 1 right now, so we're trying to get trips in while she's free :hilarious: This is a moment in time that I'm glad I have a relatively chill personality.

TP2000

If I were a betting man, I'd say give it 2 weeks max, and Disneyworld will be closed just like Disneyland!

I'd say give it 18 hours max and the same announcement will be made for WDW.

It will likely be announced this evening or tomorrow morning, since Governor Newsom got a 12 hour head start on this banning groups of 250 people last night, and Governor DeSantis didn't announce the same ban until this morning.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This. The measures we’re seeing have less to do with the deadliness of coronavirus itself (thank goodness the large majority of cases are mild) than with preventing a spike in infections that would put an incredibly damaging strain on hospital resources.
This is what I have come to understand in the last couple of days and it makes more sense now. I feel bad for the people that this will impact both from a health standpoint and a financial standpoint.

durangojim

I understand it's obviously an incredibly difficult decision because of

You are correct, for about 80% of people who get it, it will not be much more than a mild inconvenience and that's great.

However for about 10% of people it will be severe, needing hospitalization in "normal" circumstances but not being able to get it, and the other 10% will require ICU, of which about 30% of those will die. What we're seeing in Italy right now is their hospitals cannot handle that 10%, and is therefore deciding who lives and who dies. Doctors signed up for a life of trying to help people and cure the sick, they're not soldiers, they're not heads of military, is it really fair for them to be forced to choose who lives and who dies right now? Is that alone not enough to "drive the world mad" that these people were put into this position?

The reason people are seemingly "overreacting" is for the common good of that latter 10% of people. It's really great and wonderful for those people who can comfortably know they'll fall in the 80% and be fine, but for those people who then ignore the reality and severity of this and go on as if nothing is happening, they're the reason this is continuing to spread. The cases in the US are absolutely not 1200, the US is refusing to test people in an effort to keep numbers down and manage the economic impact. The numbers in the US is likely 10, 20, maybe 50 fold what we're hearing. It will only continue to spread as people are not taking it seriously enough.

The efforts companies are taking are to limit the strain on our healthcare system to prevent what is currently happening in Italy, which maybe by the numbers you think is insubstantial, but when you hear first hand accounts is heart wrenching and terrifying. Will this have an economic ripple effect which will be felt for a long time, yes absolutely. However throughout decades the world has dealt with downturns in economic growth and dealt with hard times. The responsible thing to do is put that on hold for the safety and livelihood of people across the globe, or else this will never be contained. A vaccine is at least a year away, by containing it now we can prevent catastrophe. If they were not able to contain it and it reaches infection numbers close to that of H1N1 you could be talking about deaths in the tens of millions.

The reason you'll be able to return to this thread in six months feeling high and mighty is because of the actions being taken now. They are a necessary step to trying to contain this.
Well put👍

TDogg76

I have to believe WDW will try to wait until after Spring Break to close. They don’t want to miss out on that revenue if at all possible. I predict an early April to Memorial Day weekend closure!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well now...they didn't MAKE you refuse the insurance. You knew the risks and decided to play the game. Let's leave the blame where it belongs. Though I would still say there is a good chance they will provide a refund as long as Disney is willing to refund them the DVC points.

Travel Insurance isn't going to cover this in many cases unless you've bought blanket 'cancel for any reason' type coverage. Your destination being closed isn't a covered reason in your standard travel policy.

awoogala

Notable to me is that lifestyle choices - poor one's - that so many people carry on with nary a concern, are the things that make people most vulnerable to this illness.
actually, didn't you see the chart that said smokers had less cases?

hopemax

And I really think the reaction we're seeing from US leaders is BECAUSE there's an election this year.

Has no one else been having the scene from Ghostbusters running through their head non-stop?

If we're wrong, then nothing happens. We'll go to jail. Peacefully. Quietly. We'll enjoy it. But if we're right, and we can stop this thing... Lenny... you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.

And in this case, the over 60, over 70 year old voters do tend to have an impact on the outcome.

lisa12000

You know what really disturbs me on this thread that there is some people on this thread that seems to have a real amount of glee about the thought of WDW closing without really understanding the impact it has on people both in terms of workers, and also people who have been looking forward to holidays for so long - its okay that people saying its only holidays but for me it really is the light at the end of a really dark tunnel.

VaderTron

Travel Insurance isn't going to cover this in many cases unless you've bought blanket 'cancel for any reason' type coverage. Your destination being closed isn't a covered reason in your standard travel policy.

We're not talking about Cuuuuuzin' Ned's travel insurance.

ScreenHunter 190.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
We're not talking about Cuuuuuzin' Ned's travel insurance.

I wouldn't call AIG 'cuzin Ned'

It's why I said you need a policy above the norm. Most only cover issues why YOU can't go... or if the entity is covered itself in the policy.

For instance I have two other trips this month booked with flight and hotel for other reasons.. my travel insurance has no coverage on either trip. Because the insurance is on my airfare... not my 'event' I was going to.

Calmdownnow

a cruddy healthcare system
Italy does not have a cruddy healthcare system, particularly in Northern Italy where most of the cases so far have been identified. It has many experienced dedicated professional health care practitioners and universal access to medical services. Many of those front line medical staff have been working flat out for months to try to keep people alive, having to make awful triage decisions about which patients can receive full respiratory care/treatment because the severely infected numbers are higher than the number of available ICU beds or oxygen kits. Many Italian health care workers have been infected in the process.

Italy has about the same size population as Florida. At this time of year (with snowbirds), Florida probably has a higher percentage of older people in the population.

The number of deaths in Italy is increasing massively every day. If a similar trajectory hits any part of the U.S. then there will be real heartache for communities. Learn from the Italian experience of this disease, but don't denigrate the health care systems there, which in many ways is more sophisticated and more than ambitious than a U.S. health care system that fails to provide basic health support to vast swathes of the country and a business model that -- unlike many developed economies -- fails to provide sick pay to many workers..

seascape

Now that Disney closed Disneyland, it is time for Universal. Seaworld. Cedar Fair and Six Flags to follow the lead. That means closing their California parks but still pay their employees. Disney should be congratulated for agreeing to pay. As a stockholder, I think its a good use of our money. Now it's time for the rest of the industry to stand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom