Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper Gutman

I haven’t changed how I feel. I just can’t be bothered to fight crazy. Companies scared for their liabilities and cancelling left right and centre doesn’t change the actual percentage of people being sick, but who cares huh? You know what the percentage of 1200 cases in 327 million people is right? Or over here in the UK where it’s 600 in a population of 66 million. Yet everyone’s acting like if they step outside next to someone sneezing they might die. The world has gone insane and I still believe that. “Shut down the world!” Is anyone thinking about the ridiculous economic repercussions of this?! The ban of flights from Europe to the US and everything that is going to entail on the airline, hotel, tourism & entertainment industry from this is going to be insane.

And if- which I believe, as it’s just logical- that there are already many more cases out there already that we don’t know about, due to a lack of testing so far- how come the hospitals aren’t swamped and overwhelmed with people dying already? Because for the majority of people who catch this will be so mild or without symptoms they may not even realise and won’t need any kind of treatment.

Anyway. Have fun in your doomsday economy & livelihood destroying apocalypse fantasies everyone. I’ll enjoy returning to this thread in 6 months.
If you return to this thread in 6 months and are able to gloat about an overreaction, that will be because the overreaction worked. I hope you are.

By the way, what’s your opinion on Italy?

LSLS

I haven’t changed how I feel. I just can’t be bothered to fight crazy. Companies scared for their liabilities and cancelling left right and centre doesn’t change the actual percentage of people being sick, but who cares huh? You know what the percentage of 1200 cases in 327 million people is right? Or over here in the UK where it’s 600 in a population of 66 million. Yet everyone’s acting like if they step outside next to someone sneezing they might die. The world has gone insane and I still believe that. “Shut down the world!” Is anyone thinking about the ridiculous economic repercussions of this?! The ban of flights from Europe to the US and everything that is going to entail on the airline, hotel, tourism & entertainment industry from this is going to be insane.

And if- which I believe, as it’s just logical- that there are already many more cases out there already that we don’t know about, due to a lack of testing so far- how come the hospitals aren’t swamped and overwhelmed with people dying already? Because for the majority of people who catch this it will be so mild or without symptoms they may not even realise and won’t need any kind of treatment.

Anyway. Have fun in your doomsday economy & livelihood destroying apocalypse fantasies everyone. I’ll enjoy returning to this thread in 6 months.

Companies are listening to infectious disease experts.

DisneyCane

CV19 has a long incubation period, too. So, while people are just carriers, it's spreading exponentially. Then, on top of that, it is non-symptomatic or only mildly symptomatic for a whole lot of people, especially if they're healthy and young... the type that are actively engaged with many other people.

We, in the U.S., due to the lack of tests, only 'see' CV19 when someone (usually an at-risk person) gets seriously ill. And that one person is just the tip of the iceberg for those who are sick, but not seriously and only suspect they have CV19; for those who are sick mildly who think they just have a cold; for those who show no symptoms; and, for those still incubating it.

I understand that. With the mass testing in South Korea they will find those cases and include them in the count. Even if not detectable during incubation, those infections would show up as they keep testing. It makes no sense that 1% of Ohio's population is infected if 0.015% of South Korea's population is infected.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

And if- which I believe, as it’s just logical- that there are already many more cases out there already that we don’t know about, due to a lack of testing so far- how come the hospitals aren’t swamped and overwhelmed with people dying already? Because for the majority of people who catch this it will be so mild or without symptoms they may not even realise and won’t need any kind of treatment.

When a vast majority of Americans can't even get TESTED for it yet, we have no idea how many are actually infected. It's spread around the globe hitting dozens of countries and the big issue is that hospitals can EASILY get overwhelmed with very sick patients if this is not contained, then you'll have a LOT more infections and a LOT more deaths.

Incomudro

more than 100 Americans lose their life in automobile crashes every day, yet I see people racing down the road in a 5K lb. death machine while staring at their phone screen and typing up a post in online forums about how deadly the COVID19 is. SMH. The irony is not lost on me.

Give immunocompromised folk and elderly some space, keep yourself clean, and maybe save the worry for what you are more likely die from.

With all that being said, any guesses as to when we'll begin to see reduced attendance in the parks? Fear is a mighty powerful emotion, and so is the constant onslaught of media coverage and social media spitballing.

Notable to me is that lifestyle choices - poor one's - that so many people carry on with nary a concern, are the things that make people most vulnerable to this illness.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

Genie_naughty_whispers

"Each year, about 25 percent of common colds are due to four coronaviruses, and some scientists think COVID-19 could eventually join this group as its fifth member. In the second scenario, COVID-19 behaves more like a severe seasonal flu, vanishing in the summer and returning to hit us hard in the winter.

In neither scenario does COVID-19 resemble the Spanish flu of 1918, which disproportionately killed young people. In neither scenario does the virus mutate to become more lethal."

Im missing the connection between my post and your response?

Ariel1986

If you return to this thread in 6 months and are able to gloat about an overreaction, that will be because the overreaction worked. I hope you are.

By the way, what’s your opinion on Italy?

The same. 15,000 cases in a population of 60 million. The very large majority in the north yet they have closed the entire country.

I won’t be coming here to gloat, more just to look back on the madness.

Notes from Neverland

The same. 15,000 cases in a population of 60 million. The very large majority in the north yet they have closed the entire country.

I won’t be coming here to gloat, more just to look back on the madness.
Italy's hospitals are currently on the verge of collapse despite having a larger capacity ratio than the United States. Doctors reportedly having to decide who is treated and who isn't. That's why this is such a serious issue. Smooth the curve of the spread of the disease to assist hospital capacity in order to treat both this virus and any other ailment.

michmousefan

I'm in Disneyland now. Many people in SoCal are off from work and school because of the virus... and they all seem to be using this as an opportunity to visit the parks! It has been packed. Even a heavy, cold rain today (much more rarer here than in Florida) hasn't kept the crowds away.
Even more why it's good that they are closing. Without anything else to do, irresponsible people will take opportunities to gather, and this was a likely place to hang out with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom