Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Brownn

People saying they're about to close WDW immediatly after the DL closure are ignoring an important fact.

They aren't closing it out of their own choice. They are closing it because the state is forcing them to.

Florida isn't (yet) forcing them to close WDW.
The state did not force DL to close. In fact, it, along with hospitals, theaters and public transport were exempted from the order (which is voluntary right now anyways). Disney opted to close it on their own.

ImperfectPixie

Trust me....I get it. I do. And I have had to tell my job to politely go fly a kite when they have questioned my need to take off for a sick kid from time to time. But I think people need to look at the end game and then figure out how to make it work. It SOUNDS like the government is trying to come up with a plan.
I think they are, but politics and personal feelings are being allowed to get in the way.

I actually left my last job because after being sick for 4 days, I took my then 15-month old son to the pediatrician on the way to work because his bronchitis wasn't improving and the doctor called 911, put us in an ambulance and sent us to a hospital 30 miles away instead of the one 3 miles away because the further hospital has a pediatric ER. I called my boss from the back of the ambulance to give them an update and was gifted with a manatory 2 week, unpaid vacation at the beginning of a December. Upon my return-to-work date, I sent them a polite e-mail stating that I felt we'd all be better off if I looked for work elsewhere. (Mind you, I'm the kind of employee that WANTS to learn and is willing to stay late, come in early, etc. etc...and I was STILL treated like this.) Bosses like this are far more common than people are willing to admit.

LittleBuford

Italy's hospitals are currently on the verge of collapse despite having a larger capacity ratio than the United States. Doctors reportedly having to decide who is treated and who isn't. That's why this is such a serious issue. Smooth the curve of the spread of the disease to assist hospital capacity in order to treat both this virus and any other ailment.

This. The measures we’re seeing have less to do with the deadliness of coronavirus itself (thank goodness the large majority of cases are mild) than with preventing a spike in infections that would put an incredibly damaging strain on hospital resources.

VaderTron

I live in Tampa and I’m here in WDW for the night. Scored a room for $130 at Coronado Springs and decided to come. t’s business as usual here at the parks. In fact it seems busier then ever. Everyone is happy and enjoying themselves (as they should). Closings and Panic cancellings are only going to hurt the economy in the long run. The virus has been here folks for quite some time just because we’re testing now doesn’t mean it hasn’t been here for months. I was watching an interview with someone who tested positive near the Bay Area and they aren’t even hospitalized. They are self quarantined at home and he says it’s like having a bad cold but of course that story doesn’t hit mainstream media because it doesn’t lend itself to clicks. We will all be fine however most of us “myself included” will now be broke and poor because of these closings out of fear that will severely damage our economy

For goodness sake...it's not about you or the ones who are OK. It's about the ones who are getting hurt. If someone drives their car into a crowd of people we don't say, "It's fine. The driver is OK and so are 99% of those in the crowd. A few died, but no worries. They would have died at some point anyway." So why would we be OK with allowing potentially sick people to wander through crowds with reckless abandon potentially infecting someone who doesn't have the ability to live through the illness? The optics shouldn't have to be graphic to tell you when something is morally wrong.

Last edited:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Soooo spring break ain't happening. Planned March 25-30, just going ahead and preparing for parks to be closed and us cancelling. Passes expire March 31...wish I could get them to give me 5 more days when this is over with :cry:
I'm in the same boat as far as the vacation likely being canceled. I expect that, if the parks are actually closed, Disney will extend Annual Passes for some period of time. I suspect the fine print indicates that they don't have to do that, but I think they will anyways. Will it be long enough for you to make a return trip and use the extra time...well, maybe not.

Dukeblue1227

I understand it's obviously an incredibly difficult decision because of
I haven’t changed how I feel. I just can’t be bothered to fight crazy. Companies scared for their liabilities and cancelling left right and centre doesn’t change the actual percentage of people being sick, but who cares huh? You know what the percentage of 1200 cases in 327 million people is right? Or over here in the UK where it’s 600 in a population of 66 million. Yet everyone’s acting like if they step outside next to someone sneezing they might die. The world has gone insane and I still believe that. “Shut down the world!” Is anyone thinking about the ridiculous economic repercussions of this?! The ban of flights from Europe to the US and everything that is going to entail on the airline, hotel, tourism & entertainment industry from this is going to be insane.

And if- which I believe, as it’s just logical- that there are already many more cases out there already that we don’t know about, due to a lack of testing so far- how come the hospitals aren’t swamped and overwhelmed with people dying already? Because for the majority of people who catch this it will be so mild or without symptoms they may not even realise and won’t need any kind of treatment.

Anyway. Have fun in your doomsday economy & livelihood destroying apocalypse fantasies everyone. I’ll enjoy returning to this thread in 6 months.

You are correct, for about 80% of people who get it, it will not be much more than a mild inconvenience and that's great.

However for about 10% of people it will be severe, needing hospitalization in "normal" circumstances but not being able to get it, and the other 10% will require ICU, of which about 30% of those will die. What we're seeing in Italy right now is their hospitals cannot handle that 10%, and is therefore deciding who lives and who dies. Doctors signed up for a life of trying to help people and cure the sick, they're not soldiers, they're not heads of military, is it really fair for them to be forced to choose who lives and who dies right now? Is that alone not enough to "drive the world mad" that these people were put into this position?

The reason people are seemingly "overreacting" is for the common good of that latter 10% of people. It's really great and wonderful for those people who can comfortably know they'll fall in the 80% and be fine, but for those people who then ignore the reality and severity of this and go on as if nothing is happening, they're the reason this is continuing to spread. The cases in the US are absolutely not 1200, the US is refusing to test people in an effort to keep numbers down and manage the economic impact. The numbers in the US is likely 10, 20, maybe 50 fold what we're hearing. It will only continue to spread as people are not taking it seriously enough.

The efforts companies are taking are to limit the strain on our healthcare system to prevent what is currently happening in Italy, which maybe by the numbers you think is insubstantial, but when you hear first hand accounts is heart wrenching and terrifying. Will this have an economic ripple effect which will be felt for a long time, yes absolutely. However throughout decades the world has dealt with downturns in economic growth and dealt with hard times. The responsible thing to do is put that on hold for the safety and livelihood of people across the globe, or else this will never be contained. A vaccine is at least a year away, by containing it now we can prevent catastrophe. If they were not able to contain it and it reaches infection numbers close to that of H1N1 you could be talking about deaths in the tens of millions.

The reason you'll be able to return to this thread in six months feeling high and mighty is because of the actions being taken now. They are a necessary step to trying to contain this.

ifan

Italy's hospitals are currently on the verge of collapse despite having a larger capacity ratio than the United States. Doctors reportedly having to decide who is treated and who isn't. That's why this is such a serious issue. Smooth the curve of the spread of the disease to assist hospital capacity in order to treat both this virus and any other ailment.

European hospitals don't necessarily have a larger capacity for infectious disease. They have a higher number of beds per person (a lot of this is because it is more rare to find 1 patient rooms in many countries.) I'm not sure if I've read anywhere how many isolation or negative-pressure rooms US hospitals have vs Europe, and that would be the real comparison to make. These rooms are more expensive, and it wouldn't surprise me if US hospitals had more of them (we tend to spend more on hospitals, tech, equipment.)

So you’re smarter then every single expert in the world, everybody at the WHO and CDC, in the health ministry of every one of the world’s nations? Must be nice. Probably shouldn’t be wasting your time here.
Most experts see a nail for their hammer and generally don’t know much...especially if they are a politician or bureaucrat

rnese

This thread is a microcosm of the world we live in today. So, I either think the world must come to a screeching stop, or we should just ignore everything. Whichever isn't going to get me mocked or called names.

Seriously. It's NOT the end of the world. And, it's NOT something worth criticizing those who are working day and night to come up with solutions. The truth lies somewhere in between. What ever happens, whatever decision are made by WDW, government...whomever. Do YOUR job. Play YOUR role.

VaderTron

I have a trip through DVC Rental Store at the end of April. I didn’t purchase the cancelation insurance. I feel like I’m about to get massively ****ed by them.

Well now...they didn't MAKE you refuse the insurance. You knew the risks and decided to play the game. Let's leave the blame where it belongs. Though I would still say there is a good chance they will provide a refund as long as Disney is willing to refund them the DVC points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom