Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

Test kits are limited and not always accurate anyway. The young and the healthy seem to be able to respond like th common flu. Better to use the kits as necessary to detect hotspots than use them up on everyone with a seasonal allergy symptom.
No I’m not saying they should necessarily test but people with the normal symptoms for it (not usually a runny nose etc) should be. I truly believe testing more would hand out a TON more positive cases which in turn would drive that death rate WAY down (Taiwan is at a .77% death rate if I’m not mistaken?) and then people would be less scared and places wouldn’t be forced to close

Jwink

According to Wikipedia's timeline, the earliest known case was Dec 1, with 7 more cases occurring Dec 8-18. You would have to have been extremely lucky to have come into contact with someone from Hubei province, AND also not to have spread it to other people in your immediate area generating a cluster. Look at the spread from Westchester guy and Biogen conference guy.
I think they mean this virus has been around longer than just December 1st... it’s just that we are now testing for it

Brer Oswald

I haven’t changed how I feel. I just can’t be bothered to fight crazy. Companies scared for their liabilities and cancelling left right and centre doesn’t change the actual percentage of people being sick, but who cares huh? You know what the percentage of 1200 cases in 327 million people is right? Or over here in the UK where it’s 600 in a population of 66 million. Yet everyone’s acting like if they step outside next to someone sneezing they might die. The world has gone insane and I still believe that. “Shut down the world!” Is anyone thinking about the ridiculous economic repercussions of this?! The ban of flights from Europe to the US and everything that is going to entail on the airline, hotel, tourism & entertainment industry from this is going to be insane.

And if- which I believe, as it’s just logical- that there are already many more cases out there already that we don’t know about, due to a lack of testing so far- how come the hospitals aren’t swamped and overwhelmed with people dying already? Because for the majority of people who catch this it will be so mild or without symptoms they may not even realise and won’t need any kind of treatment.

Anyway. Have fun in your doomsday economy & livelihood destroying apocalypse fantasies everyone. I’ll enjoy returning to this thread in 6 months.
Unfortunately, testing will have to be widespread before people start to come down. Until then, “the world is ending and everyone is going to die from the plague”. The hysteria is what has me worried as all h***.

Slpy3270

Reminder that Disney paying cast members while the park is closed is meaningless because most of them will probably be laid off once the outbreak ends and Disney has to figure how to fix its balance sheet after losing billions.

ELG13

Yeah but then what happens to the parents who have to stay home with their kids and they can’t work?
Trust me....I get it. I do. And I have had to tell my job to politely go fly a kite when they have questioned my need to take off for a sick kid from time to time. But I think people need to look at the end game and then figure out how to make it work. It SOUNDS like the government is trying to come up with a plan.

Patcheslee

Soooo what's the Waffle House index at with this?
Seriously though, they are looking to contain but local paper hospital already admitted a person has to come in with a severe respiratory illness and test negative for all other possible causes before coronavirus test will be done. Citing the hospital admin:
“Right now, the only thing we can do is triage people,”. This is a town of 50,000 ppl, if we are still at triage stage it's reactive not proactive. All tests have to be done at a state level and even the state is limited.

sheriffwoody

Soooo spring break ain't happening. Planned March 25-30, just going ahead and preparing for parks to be closed and us cancelling. Passes expire March 31...wish I could get them to give me 5 more days when this is over with :cry:

Casper Gutman

Unfortunately, testing will have to be widespread before people start to come down. Until then, “the world is ending and everyone is going to die from the plague”. The hysteria is what has me worried as all h***.
So you’re smarter then every single expert in the world, everybody at the WHO and CDC, in the health ministry of every one of the world’s nations? Must be nice. Probably shouldn’t be wasting your time here.

VaderTron

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
It makes no sense that 1% of Ohio's population is infected if 0.015% of South Korea's population is infected.

Due to mass testing in South Korea they are able to isolate the infected people right away, while in Ohio people keep going about their business. South Korea is taking extreme measures: everyone is wearing masks in public (no mask, no entry), temperatures taken when you enter public spaces, infected family members are separated, transparent communication to residents about new cases via apps and twice daily media briefings and emergency alerts, travel history of confirmed patients is shared with everyone, etc. All this is probably contributing to keeping that percentage low.

IanDLBZF

People saying they're about to close WDW immediatly after the DL closure are ignoring an important fact.

They aren't closing it out of their own choice. They are closing it because the state is forcing them to.

Florida isn't (yet) forcing them to close WDW.
As you all may know, FL Governor Ron DeSantis recommended, but did not force (nor require) that large events and mass gatherings be postponed or cancelled. Bear in mind this could change at a moment's notice, whether Tallahassee or Reedy Creek calls it or not.

So far Winter Park has cancelled their annual arts festival, and we could see more cancellations tonight and tomorrow.

esskay

I have a trip through DVC Rental Store at the end of April. I didn’t purchase the cancelation insurance. I feel like I’m about to get massively ****ed by them.
Depends. IF a closure happens Disney will want it to be as short as they can get away with. given DL will be open again by April I'd suspect so will WDW (if it even closes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom