Condor Flats becoming Grizzly Peak Airfield

kibia16

Original Poster
From DPB: Love it!

The recent expansion ofDisney California Adventurepark gave us even more ways to immerse our guests in new stories, and we’re excited to continue this expanded storytelling this year with the addition of the Grizzly Peak Airfield.

The first phase of this expansion, the all-new Smokejumpers Grill, opens March 20. This new quick-service location takes inspiration from the brave men and women who fight wildfires in our California forests. In addition to a whole new look, the location will feature an updated menu with tasty items like a Bacon Cheddar Burger, Grilled Chicken & Jack Sandwich and Chili Cheeseburger!

This is just the beginning of the Grizzly Peak expansion, which will bring new building exteriors, landscape features and more to the former Condor Flats area. Lush pine trees will bring cool areas of shade, making our guests feel they have been transported to California’s High Sierras.

When the rest of the area opens later this spring,Soarin’ Over Californiawill also reopen with updates to its screen and projection system, bringing a visually enhanced experience. We’ll have more details to share here on theDisney Parks Blogas the project progresses.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...xpansion-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

I am so happy for this. You can see how they are really tying this in with the rest of grizzly peak with a continuation of the same light fixtures and fencing along the walkways. I also love how lush and green it will be with all the trees they are adding.

It appears that the rocket jet engine will be replaced with a new lookout tower.

I also love the new sign for the entrance to Soarin. It reminds me of the signs you see when you go to national parks.
Here is an example:
25064468.jpg

Thumper14

Sure wish they would open a trail to the Grand Californian entrance before I get there. But alas, according the Disney blog-"Sorry, no – the only change will be the wall at the Carthay Circle side of the land, which will be moved back to allow access to Smokejumpers Grill."

Looks like I will be walking "around" the DCA park yet again!   

westie

A Monorail station would be awesome, but I don't see them doing it.

It is and it isn't. It has some awesome attractions, like The Great Movie Ride and WDW Tower of Terror, some nice areas and movie props/references that are always fun. But that's about it. They haven't kept the park current, there aren't enough rides and shows that were never that good haven't been updated in decades. DCA at least has gotten new rides and nice themed areas.

Speaking of props, I really miss that shop that sold movie props and memorabilia as you came in the gate to the left.

sponono88

It looks great. The Grizzly peak is the best looking area of the park and it's good to see that concept expanding.

I'm curious to see how the queue for soarin will change. I hope they keep the aviator tributes in the main hallway.. And I wonder if they will change the pre-show video?

TP2000

This is a dramatic improvement over the original Condor Flats and its high desert theme.

Cars Land has "desert" covered for DCA, and in a much more fun way than Condor Flats ever could be. Grizzly Peak needed to be expanded to flesh out the wilderness theme, and this looks like a very smart move on WDI's part.

My only criticism is that the artwork shown is very optimistic on the trees. I can't imagine they'll move in full-size pine trees like that by May. But in a decade or so, I'm sure the trees will fill in to that size.

FerretAfros

Far classier than it's previous incarnation... but so.. .much... green and brown!
I agree. I can't help but think that there was a better option for the Soarin' building than painting it go-away-green and trying to hide it behind a couple trees. They're even keeping the checkerboard pattern on the building, which won't make any sense now that it's no longer airfield colors. Oddly, I haven't seen anything to indicate that they're also repainting the back side of the building, facing DTD/tram load

Although Soarin's backstory was always kind of weak, I'm curious to see how (or if) they try to explain why a flight simulator is located in the mountain wilderness; even with the "birthplace of the aviation industry" theme, it was a bit of a stretch

dweezil78

I agree. I can't help but think that there was a better option for the Soarin' building than painting it go-away-green and trying to hide it behind a couple trees. They're even keeping the checkerboard pattern on the building, which won't make any sense now that it's no longer airfield colors. Oddly, I haven't seen anything to indicate that they're also repainting the back side of the building, facing DTD/tram load

Right... Even though it does look better than what was there, that's primarily because what was there before was so overly tacky and dated. I kind of wish they held off on this until the budget was there to do it right with a total overhaul rather than just stripping away all the theming, painting it in bland colors, and planting trees.

The concept art for Smokejumpers makes it look like it was barely touched for example:
Smokejumpers-interior-TH.jpg

Taste-Pilots2.jpg

Blueliner

This is a dramatic improvement over the original Condor Flats and its high desert theme.

Cars Land has "desert" covered for DCA, and in a much more fun way than Condor Flats ever could be. Grizzly Peak needed to be expanded to flesh out the wilderness theme, and this looks like a very smart move on WDI's part.

My only criticism is that the artwork shown is very optimistic on the trees. I can't imagine they'll move in full-size pine trees like that by May. But in a decade or so, I'm sure the trees will fill in to that size.

You're right about that concept art. I suppose the plantings up near Grizzly Peak have the benefit of forced perspective (and almost 15 years to grow), but they look awesome! Grizzly Peak Recreation Area is probably my favorite area of the park, so any expansion of the look and feel is welcome in my book. Any chance of a zip line from one of these towers down to the new tower near Soarin' over California?

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B629%3Dot%3E2%3C25%3D965%3D349%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B%3C%3B84555258ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A375%3Dot%3E2%3C25%3D965%3D349%3DXROQDF%3E27%3B%3C%3B8454%3A258ot1lsi

Last edited:

Suspirian

Although Soarin's backstory was always kind of weak, I'm curious to see how (or if) they try to explain why a flight simulator is located in the mountain wilderness; even with the "birthplace of the aviation industry" theme, it was a bit of a stretch

I mean, the ride is a simulator, but you're supposed to be actually flying to different California landmarks. What I find weird is why you need a huge hangar and airstrip for hang gliding.

TP2000

Although Soarin's backstory was always kind of weak, I'm curious to see how (or if) they try to explain why a flight simulator is located in the mountain wilderness; even with the "birthplace of the aviation industry" theme, it was a bit of a stretch.

I think this is where us Disney fans have to take a step back and realize it's just a theme park. Disneyland is not, and was never meant to be, Colonial Williamsburg. Stuff doesn't have to make that much sense and be perfectly accurate, it just needs to be fun and look cool.

Why is there a fake Swiss mountain next to a tropical lagoon where atomic submarines take a 9 minute journey to the North Pole and back? Cause Walt thought that would be fun and it would look cool.

I think the new Grizzly Peak Airfield fits that Walt-era guiding principle; it will be fun and it looks cool.

dweezil78

Why is there a fake Swiss mountain next to a tropical lagoon where atomic submarines take a 9 minute journey to the North Pole and back? Cause Walt thought that would be fun and it would look cool.

I think the new Grizzly Peak Airfield fits that Walt-era guiding principle; it will be fun and it looks cool.

Haha agreed! No one is questioning why there is a swamp with boats inside of a New Orleans building.

Figments Friend

From DPB: Love it!

The recent expansion ofDisney California Adventurepark gave us even more ways to immerse our guests in new stories, and we’re excited to continue this expanded storytelling this year with the addition of the Grizzly Peak Airfield.

The first phase of this expansion, the all-new Smokejumpers Grill, opens March 20. This new quick-service location takes inspiration from the brave men and women who fight wildfires in our California forests. In addition to a whole new look, the location will feature an updated menu with tasty items like a Bacon Cheddar Burger, Grilled Chicken & Jack Sandwich and Chili Cheeseburger!

This is just the beginning of the Grizzly Peak expansion, which will bring new building exteriors, landscape features and more to the former Condor Flats area. Lush pine trees will bring cool areas of shade, making our guests feel they have been transported to California’s High Sierras.

When the rest of the area opens later this spring,Soarin’ Over Californiawill also reopen with updates to its screen and projection system, bringing a visually enhanced experience. We’ll have more details to share here on theDisney Parks Blogas the project progresses.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...xpansion-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

A very nice improvement.
Looks far more welcoming and appealing.

Looking forward to seeing it in person.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom