Condor Flats becoming Grizzly Peak Airfield

George Lucas on a Bench

What i really like about DCA, and its selfish, is that WDW doesn't have it. I was born and raised in CA. Parents wouldn't take me to WDW so I had to do it on my own. I actually got married in DL and honeymooned in WDW so I love to draw comparisons. That being said, I love DCA because WDW doesn't have it.

I'll say this for it. Formerly, EPCOT was the best park to get drunk in. But DCA being a fraction of the size with more accessible attractions (including thrill rides, Soarin' that isn't a 2-hour wait and walk-ons everywhere) makes it the ultimate Disney bar park. WDW has nothing like it, for sure.

TP2000

The wharf is pretty classy and subdued IMO. Plus between the addition of Ghirardellis, the re-do of the bread bakery, and the updated weathered paint job last year, they've pretty much redone most of the wharf over last three years, just in stages...

Agreed. Pacific Wharf got a full cosmetic refurbishment in 2014, down to nets and props and even a pair of long underwear.
It looks great, especially for the backside of a theme park food court.
DSC_5466-L.jpg

Then with Ghirardelli and the refreshed and re-themed Boudin Bakery Tour, complete with 1927 Model A Ford parked out front, the whole Pacific Wharf restaurant complex looks and feels very nice.
DSC_6240-L.jpg

I'm not sure what else you'd need to do to this compact and highly themed dining complex. Not every corner of every park can contain a Pirates of the Caribbean or a Radiator Springs Racers. It's okay to have little pockets that are just restaurants and walk-thru exhibits. It creates a richer tapestry for the park experience overall.

TP2000

I'll say this for it. Formerly, EPCOT was the best park to get drunk in. But DCA being a fraction of the size with more accessible attractions (including thrill rides, Soarin' that isn't a 2-hour wait and walk-ons everywhere) makes it the ultimate Disney bar park. WDW has nothing like it, for sure.

I'll drink to that!

Figments Friend

What i really like about DCA, and its selfish, is that WDW doesn't have it. I was born and raised in CA. Parents wouldn't take me to WDW so I had to do it on my own. I actually got married in DL and honeymooned in WDW so I love to draw comparisons. That being said, I love DCA because WDW doesn't have it.

For me, part of the reason i have trouble warming up to DCA is that is reminds me too much of what i have already seen at WDW.
So i find your view interesting.
:)

I remember when i first visited DCA in 2007, when it was still in it's original poorly executed 'version 1.0' mode.
It really reminded me of a seriously stripped down cheapy version of DHS, as well as a tacked on quasi-World Showcase-eque dining and shopping mecca.
It was a big turn off for me.

When i returned to experience the overhauled version of DCA in 2013, it was a definite improvement but it still comes off as a mash-up between those two WDW properties in my mind.
It still feels like a tossed together mix of things already done at WDW...even though it does indeed have it's own original headliners ( CarsLand in particular ).

DHS is my least favorite Park of them all, so seeing similarities at DCA ( and rampant cloning of several DHS Attractions ) is not a plus for me.
Today however the Park is indeed much much better then version 1.0., and i think it has a lot of promise for the future.
I like the recent re-themes and the refreshing going on in some areas.
If they keep it up, and add a few more original Attractions, DCA can become even better.

Californian Elitist

I can kind of relate to you. I like DCA because it somewhat gives me a sense of pride.

I was born and raised in California, so the park, even though it's redundant, reminds me of what a diverse and beautiful state I live in. The earlier DCA was more "California obvious." It's a shame they couldn't execute it well.

Figments Friend

I'm not sure what else you'd need to do to this compact and highly themed dining complex. Not every corner of every park can contain a Pirates of the Caribbean or a Radiator Springs Racers. It's okay to have little pockets that are just restaurants and walk-thru exhibits. It creates a richer tapestry for the park experience overall.

TP touches on something important here.
A nice reminder of what truly makes a great theme park - the mixed menu of offerings.

I think today of lot of folks, and even Park fans, think that to make a 'better' DLR you need to add more thrill rides and high tech-extreme ridez type of experiences.
Sure those are fun, but i know i am not alone when i say part of the reason Disneyland is so special is because of the 'little things'.
Those 'non-extreme' experiences can end up being the MOST memorable of your entire visit.

Accidentally bumping into Bert on Main Street.
Having a ice cream cone while sitting on the front porch of the Palm Parlor.
Sitting on a bench in Town Square and just people watching.
Walking though the landscaped gardens.
Savoring the moment of a scene in front of you.

So having a balance between those things, and then doing more active things such as riding 'Space Mountain' or 'California Screamin' does indeed make for a fuller experience overall.
Everyone is different, but in my opinion if you go to the Disney Theme Parks and just 'ride the rides' you are really missing out on half of the fun.
'Richer tapestry' , indeed.

TP2000

Miceage was right with that scoop they had earlier this winter, and Taste Pilots Grill is now Smokejumpers Grill. It partially opened on Friday, although the western half of the restaurant and patio are still behind walls. It gives us our first glimpse into what Grizzly Peak Airfield will be like.

Interestingly, based on the music and props and displays in Smokejumpers Grill, the time period here is the very early 1960's. There are references to Disney films from 1961, including The Parent Trap, and notes on bulletin boards dated 1961. With 1961 being the timeframe, it would seem this venue would be more fitting for a Twist Party instead of Swing Dancing. Luckily, I can do the Twist. :cool:

DSC_6895-L.jpg

The kids down at UC Irvine won't like that American flag, but the interior looks great! Fresher and lighter than before. Taste Pilots took the grunge theme a bit too far, and this looks cleaner and friendlier.
DSC_7230-L.jpg

DSC_7254-L.jpg

Lots of stuff on the walls to discover and explore. The story appears to be this is a mountain base for smokejumpers, and the local residents and schoolchildren have been writing them thank you notes for their firefighting skills.
DSC_7380-M.jpg

DSC_7363-M.jpg

DSC_7424-M.jpg

DSC_7286-M.jpg

Can you spot the Parent Trap reference on this outdoor bulletin board?

DSC_6957-L.jpg

As for the rest of Grizzly Peak Airfield, it's all still behind construction walls for a few more months.
DSC_6875-L.jpg

Photos from Monday's Dateline Disneyland. http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.com/DisneylandResort/2015/032315-Edited-Update-Photos/i-gBjz29v

Last edited:

TP2000

WDI did a lovely job on this restaurant remake. Now for the bad news about Smokejumpers Grill...

The burgers are still gross. :depressed:

I had dinner there Friday evening; a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a Tower 10 IPA.

The burger patty was disgusting. It looked and tasted like it had been boiled, or at least partially microwaved. There was no sense this patty had ever gotten near an open flame, much less a sizzling grill. It was grey and limp and tasteless. The bun was cheap and beginning to dry out, and its one of those dumb "whole grain" products that aren't appealing to anyone except a Food Nazi. The fries were okay, and served medium warm. The condiment bar was basic, and the ketchup, mayo and mustard were lukewarm and goopy. When you go to Umami Burger or In-N-Out the ketchup is always crisply chilled. But not at Smokejumpers Grill, cause that's just too hard for Disneyland management to bother with when they charge 12 bucks for a burger.

DSC_7450-L.jpg

The only redeeming quality to the meal was the beer, a Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA from San Diego that was served cold and fresh.

Smokejumpers Grill looks very nice, WDI did a fantastic job design-wise, but I won't be going back there for food. It's not rocket science to make a good cheeseburger, especially when you charge 12 bucks, but that's apparently a skill set that Disneyland management just can't conquer. Off to Umami Burger!

GiveMeTheMusic

WDI did a lovely job on this restaurant remake. Now for the bad news about Smokejumpers Grill...

The burgers are still gross. :depressed:

I had dinner there Friday evening; a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a Tower 10 IPA.

The burger patty was disgusting. It looked and tasted like it had been boiled, or at least partially microwaved. There was no sense this patty had ever gotten near an open flame, much less a sizzling grill. It was grey and limp and tasteless. The bun was cheap and beginning to dry out, and its one of those dumb "whole grain" products that aren't appealing to anyone except a Food Nazi. The fries were okay, and served medium warm. The condiment bar was basic, and the ketchup, mayo and mustard were lukewarm and goopy. When you go to Umami Burger or In-N-Out the ketchup is always crisply chilled. But not at Smokejumpers Grill, cause that's just too hard for Disneyland management to bother with when they charge 12 bucks for a burger.

DSC_7450-L.jpg

The only redeeming quality to the meal was the beer, a Karl Strauss Tower 10 IPA from San Diego that was served cold and fresh.

Smokejumpers Grill looks very nice, WDI did a fantastic job design-wise, but I won't be going back there for food. It's not rocket science to make a good cheeseburger, especially when you charge 12 bucks, but that's apparently a skill set that Disneyland management just can't conquer. Off to Umami Burger!

Umami Burger is LIFE.

Also, I disagree on the castle in person. I realize it's very much in progress, but those duct tape stripes have to go. A lot of the fake roofs are very off as well, particularly on the back of the castle. I'm sure it will come together well in May - but right now it looks pretty awful.

Figments Friend

Really like the green approach here. The trees really give this a nice homey 'park' feel.

This area always felt like a concrete wasteland in it's previous incarnation, but the refresh is going to turn this area into something far more appealing now.

I can see this becoming a popular area to visit during the hotter months too...Guests taking refuge under the cooling foliage.

Looks promising and is a definite improvement!

JediMasterMatt

I wonder what someone from Magic Kingdom's horticulture department would think if they saw all of those trees being planted?

They're still getting their heads around how much water to put on the field turf.

Condor Flats is looking like a definite upgrade. We are getting closer to the eventual day when all of DCA's value Imagineering will be gone.

Hopefully they will save a little budget to add something to the exit ramps out of Soarin'. The concrete path up is sooooo Six Flags.

westie

On one trip to WDW I told my wife I was going to drink my way arround the world and stopped in every country and kiosk to have a beer from that country. I actually drank myself sober! (if you can imagine that?!) Then ended up at PI to end the night. God bless PI, how I miss it. I've also been known to shut down the bar at DCARS (is the the correct acronym?). Yet I digress. I think its really dumb how DCA just ends at the hotel because of the construction. Hundreds of people holding maps that can't figure out that there's no way through and make a huge socal traffic jam. Hurry up and finish cast members!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom