Carousel of Progress exterior refurbishment

Rider

Wait, that icon on the door...doesn't the theater rotate opposite the direction those arrows are pointing?

I'm thrilled that COP is getting the love it deserves! The new paint is fantastic! And a new animatronic? YES!!
if your perspective is from under the carousel the arrows are correct.

Figments Friend

I'm really pleased to see CoP getting some love.
I've said it before here, but have to say it again - it is truly wonderful to finally see some positive attention being given to this historically important Attraction.

Thinking back to all those years of rumors circulating about its closure, lack or maitenance, and sometimes periods of generally being 'ignored'.....these recent bits of attention of very welcome.

Definitely looking forward to further interior work on the AAs and final show scene.
So far, so good....

Keep going....keep moving forward....!

-

Bacon

New sign:
cop2005halloween.jpg

prberk

Which is exactly correct. My first visit was in 1983. Best time of your life, was the song at the time. I still like it better and it has a ton of memories for me. First, my children, being young, 7 & 9 at the time, picked up on both the happy, upbeat melody and words immediately. We sang it in the car, all the way back to Vermont. We had some neighbor friends that went the following year and after that when ever we would meet we would start to sing... Now is the time. Wonderful memories associated with it. Those were happy memories.

Years later, shortly after I was divorced, my kids were grown and on their own, my life had fallen apart in way to many ways to list here. I went to WDW to try and get my head back together in a place that had so many good memories. I was lost, felt like my world had fallen down around me and didn't know what to do. I went to CoP and there was Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, giving me hope and the resolve to go home and do what was necessary to get my life back on track. It was a small thing, but, in my state of mind at the time, it was just what I needed to kick myself in the butt and get things pulled together. I did and life did as well. So both, have a significant impact on my personal life. Now is the Time, however, happened during a very happy time in my life, so that will always be my favorite. GBBT meant a lot to me as well, just not associated with a happy time in my life. An important one, yes, absolutely, but, it wasn't anything close to resembling happy at the time.

I appreciate you sharing that. I didn't grow up with The Best Time of Your Life (or with WDW in general) as I was born in 1995 in California, but I understand people like you who have a fondness for the song and I appreciate that the music of Disney has touched your heart like it's touched mine since I was little.

I agree. TAGBBT makes me smile, even when I hear it in the Tomorrowland background loop. I'ts a peppy, happy tune with a great message.

The Tomorrowland loop is probably my favorite loop in WDW.

The people in Burbank need to see and read these posts, and so many more like them, and understand exactly what Walt Disney World (and Disneyland) have the capability of doing -- and all without a movie IP to drive it first.

It has been the source of inspiration for so, so many of us... and continues to be today if they let it. It builds loyalty -- which translates into return business that is always more profitable than the first timers you have to drum up with new gimmicks.

But just reading those posts, man, brought back exactly what endeared me to WDW myself. Thanks for them.

wdwfan22

I rode the other day and must have gotten one of the theaters that didn't have the seats replaced as the seats were pretty worn. Audio was also just as poor as always especially if you sat in the back as the background music was all you could hear. Also the sign in the first theater was really crooked and looked bad. I hope this attraction can get some love soon. It's a great attraction and the theaters were full all during my families visit. The paint job outside is fantastic! With a little TLC this attraction could be great once again.

NearTheEars

Was there on Sunday. In the second scene, John's collar was messed up so his neck was kind of flapping around throughout the scene. It was a little creepy. This is also the scene where the audio seems to be the worst. It sounds like he's taking out of an old radio speaker.

I also experienced my first repeat scene (the first) as someone left the theater.
It was a packed house as it was storming at the time.

Any news on this refurb? All done?
Yup! Except for finishing up "Re-soundproofing" the theaters. But other then that, the outside is done and looking amazing! :)
(The theaters haven't had soundproofing for a while now, it was planned on getting redone but then it was decided that the carousel would go ahead with painting in the next few months, so it just got left alone.)

Is the new sign outside still planned to be installed at some point?
Yes... hopefully before Uncle Orvilles ice melts. We had the new sign mounts installed during the short refurb in July, but they're taking their time doing the new signs. (Which is a good thing, we want them looking nice) So either sometime before the end of October, or it will wait till February. (I mean we've had the new queue monitors sitting in their boxes down in the basement since July of 2015 lol)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom