Carousel of Progress exterior refurbishment

KikoKea

Two years ago we had the good fortune to be stuck at the Burning Rome scene. Not only does the scent bring warm and fuzzy feelings the sound track in that area is excellent.
LOL. I had a dish at the local sushi place last night that had smoked seasoning and I told me DH it tasted and smelled like Burning Rome and he agreed.
63 days to go....:)

VJ

"Tomorrow is still but a dream" and there's always a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of everyday.
I personally enjoy TAGBBT more than TBTOYL/NITT. The reason the song was changed (GE being corporate meddling jerks) is a big reason as to why, plus I just enjoy the song more. I understand that WDW Guests have a bigger affection for the song, though, as for some it was their first exposure to the Carousel.

TheOrangeBird01

I personally enjoy TAGBBT more than TBTOYL/NITT. The reason the song was changed (GE being corporate meddling jerks) is a big reason as to why, plus I just enjoy the song more. I understand that WDW Guests have a bigger affection for the song, though, as for some it was their first exposure to the Carousel.

I'm with you. I prefer TAGBBT not only because it was the original song, but because it was the version that was in the ride the first time I rode it. The song also has a better message than NITT in my opinion.

Goofyernmost

Which is exactly correct. My first visit was in 1983. Best time of your life, was the song at the time. I still like it better and it has a ton of memories for me. First, my children, being young, 7 & 9 at the time, picked up on both the happy, upbeat melody and words immediately. We sang it in the car, all the way back to Vermont. We had some neighbor friends that went the following year and after that when ever we would meet we would start to sing... Now is the time. Wonderful memories associated with it. Those were happy memories.

Years later, shortly after I was divorced, my kids were grown and on their own, my life had fallen apart in way to many ways to list here. I went to WDW to try and get my head back together in a place that had so many good memories. I was lost, felt like my world had fallen down around me and didn't know what to do. I went to CoP and there was Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, giving me hope and the resolve to go home and do what was necessary to get my life back on track. It was a small thing, but, in my state of mind at the time, it was just what I needed to kick myself in the butt and get things pulled together. I did and life did as well. So both, have a significant impact on my personal life. Now is the Time, however, happened during a very happy time in my life, so that will always be my favorite. GBBT meant a lot to me as well, just not associated with a happy time in my life. An important one, yes, absolutely, but, it wasn't anything close to resembling happy at the time.

VJ

Which is exactly correct. My first visit was in 1983. Best time of your life, was the song at the time. I still like it better and it has a ton of memories for me. First, my children, being young, 7 & 9 at the time, picked up on both the happy, upbeat melody and words immediately. We sang it in the car, all the way back to Vermont. We had some neighbor friends that went the following year and after that when ever we would meet we would start to sing... Now is the time. Wonderful memories associated with it. Those were happy memories.

Years later, shortly after I was divorced, my kids were grown and on their own, my life had fallen apart in way to many ways to list here. I went to WDW to try and get my head back together in a place that had so many good memories. I was lost, felt like my world had fallen down around me and didn't know what to do. I went to CoP and there was Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, giving me hope and the resolve to go home and do what was necessary to get my life back on track. It was a small thing, but, in my state of mind at the time, it was just what I needed to kick myself in the butt and get things pulled together. I did and life did as well. So both, have a significant impact on my personal life. Now is the Time, however, happened during a very happy time in my life, so that will always be my favorite. GBBT meant a lot to me as well, just not associated with a happy time in my life. An important one, yes, absolutely, but, it wasn't anything close to resembling happy at the time.
I appreciate you sharing that. I didn't grow up with The Best Time of Your Life (or with WDW in general) as I was born in 1995 in California, but I understand people like you who have a fondness for the song and I appreciate that the music of Disney has touched your heart like it's touched mine since I was little.

Explanation about the refurb... (Ignore the bottom part about the World Fairs series, I copied this from our facebook page lol)
Everyone has been wondering over the last few days “What happened to everything that was going to be done during the refurbishment?” Well the quick and simple answer, some unexpected stuff happened and some stuff took a lot longer than expected. “Well what did get done then?” Safety systems got upgraded, and that took a lot longer than expected and also had some stuff that had to be replaced with the system. Animation had a few fluid lines replaced that was unexpected, but with that being said the animation team did an amazing job fixing up Rover and replacing John in act 2. “Well what about signage?” As I said up above some stuff took a lot longer, so that meant other stuff had to be moved down the list… signage ended up towards the bottom of that list. The theaters did get new sign mounts though! Sound adjustments were made, so stuff should be sounding better now. New carpeting and seating was put in theaters 1,2,3 and 5. Theaters 4 and 6 got new seating and carpeting before the refurbishment took place. The seating and carpeting took a lot longer than expected, but engineering got it done and did a good job doing it! The show controllers had a few changes, and had a few bugs… (as a few noticed Friday when the carousel resumed normal showings) Show lighting wasn’t turning on, and the DVD player for the TV in act 4 was stuck in pause mode. “What about clothing?” Clothing was another thing that got moved down the list… but the animation team will be working on stuff while the park is closed. “Was the outside lighting programmed?” Nope, other stuff took way too long. But with that being said, the show is 52 years old and requires a lot of work and it defiantly does get love it deserves. “Does this mean all of the stuff that didn’t happen will be done during the September refurbishment?” Let’s not forget the September refurb was being talked about but never officially planned, as of recently the September refurbishment will NOT be happening. Big Thunder Mountain will be down for refurbishment during that time period and Park Ops doesn’t want two high capacity attractions down at once. It would also require two teams doing the refurbishments, and that would mean both of them would not have the man power that they need. I hope everyone has a great big beautiful day, and Friday I’ll be posting the final part of our World Fairs series!

tongaloosh

Wait, that icon on the door...doesn't the theater rotate opposite the direction those arrows are pointing?

I'm thrilled that COP is getting the love it deserves! The new paint is fantastic! And a new animatronic? YES!!

tongaloosh

Photo update as of Saturday, July 23. Not many noticed the plantings (landscaping) around the base of Carousel of Progress was also changed during the exterior refurbishment. The below photo is the "before" plantings taken April 10. Notice the large leaf tropical plants in the bed around the sign.

img_7660-jpg.137721

Taken today (July 23), the new landscaping is a lower shrub with small leaves. This change was not done recently, but several weeks ago, as can be seen in previously posted photos.

View attachment 152688

One additional detail...every theatre door has this painted detail.

View attachment 152689

Last edited:

azox

What about the beginning/ending scene? Could a finale act be built behind the curtain for that, and then dropped as people enter? I can't find a blueprint of the theater anywhere...
If that were possible you could turn the current finale scene back into the world's fair 60s scene, and then have a slick modern current day finale...though using this would throw it out of sequence I guess ...hmmm.....

This seems very possible if they make the current guest load room be used for both loading/unloading. People would exit out the one side of the theater while new people go in the other side. It would be great to have another set of scenes in COP :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom