News Caribbean Beach Expansion

trampdog

Disney World still has thousands of open acres available and all they have done in the past 10 years is demolish and rebuild existing infrastructure.

Kamikaze

Great pics, Steve. Reminds me just how close CBR is to Epcot. Will they be able to hide this new tower from view in the park?

It won't be. One of the selling points for the tower will be Illuminations viewing (or Illuminations replacement viewing) and you can't offer that if you can't see it from the tower. Unfortunately, that also means you'll have to be able to see it from the park.

They only need to make sure you can't see it while you're standing inside of any of the southern countries. For Epcot, they are not concerned with the sight lines as much. After all, you can see TOT and Swan/Dolphin.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, July 7. Updated maps posted around the Caribbean Beach Resort property.

IMG_9809.JPG

The below photo was taken from the "You Are Here" position in the above map, from the northern end Martinique viewing north.

IMG_9808.JPG

There is one Aruba building (56) where the new construction can be viewed. All other views are obscured by trees and vegetation. Looking east.

IMG_9819.JPG

The truck is on Sea Breeze Drive.

IMG_9820.JPG

The front entrance to Old Port Royale was being torn down today.

IMG_9812.JPG

An across the lake view of the lake side of Old Port Royal. The back courtyard has been removed. The building is empty and you can see through the open doorways to the other side.

IMG_9821.JPG

Finally, the perimeter road (Sea Breeze Drive) has been closed off to Disney buses and guest traffic through the construction area, with a new turn around installed at the Aruba bus stop. Construction vehicles have access to the original road past the barricades. Guest vehicles and Disney buses must back track via Cayman Way to the Custom House exit. All directional signs have been changed to reflect the new traffic pattern.

IMG_9823.JPG

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It won't be. One of the selling points for the tower will be Illuminations viewing (or Illuminations replacement viewing) and you can't offer that if you can't see it from the tower. Unfortunately, that also means you'll have to be able to see it from the park.
How high is this "tower" meant to be?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, at 130 feet (40 m), you're just being able to see over the treetops so that you can see the globe on the water. It's the height I have set on my fly-through video. Here is the view from Google Earth Pro...

View attachment 214272
I've not been following this thread closely. Is that height official or a guesstimate? Obviously Coronado is getting a tower but what I've seen for CBR isn't nearly as tall.

Movielover

I've not been following this thread closely. Is that height official or a guesstimate?

Whoa, hang on just a sec. Marni doesn't know absolutely 100% everything going on behind the scenes at WDW?????

I don't know how to process this? I'm not sure what to feel? My whole world is crashing down around me... the 4th walls are all shattering...All my morals and beliefs are being put into question and I'm freaking out here!

128822159831136290.jpg

Movielover

I've seen a 5-6 story building for the CBR DVC but will be the first to say it may not be the whole plot.

In all honesty man you could tell me something so bat crap insanely stupid like "they are turning Spaceship Earth into a Death Star" and I would believe you...

Oh and as a fellow filmmaker/editor your work is superb man, you earn yourself a happy nod from Mr Miyagi!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Biff215

I've not been following this thread closely. Is that height official or a guesstimate? Obviously Coronado is getting a tower but what I've seen for CBR isn't nearly as tall.
Agreed, I believe the "Illuminations viewing" is getting mixed up with what they announced for CSR. While it's possible at CBR, I thought that plan called for a cluster of smaller buildings, they certainly made the space for it.

surfsupdon

The lush island vibes and seclusion of CBR left when the built the bonnet creek towers behind the property on other side of OPR and the Trinidads.

Look how jarring it is in the above pic to see the Caribbean hut setting with the high rises in the back. But I think that is the new WDW look.

Biff215

The lush island vibes and seclusion of CBR left when the built the bonnet creek towers behind the property on other side of OPR and the Trinidads.

Look how jarring it is in the above pic to see the Caribbean hut setting with the high rises in the back. But I think that is the new WDW look.
Wow, I didn't notice that in the pics, and I've never stayed at CBR. Not much Disney could do about Bonnet Creek, but that new tower at CSR (and possibly CBR) clearly shows they don't care too much either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom