1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Caribbean Beach Expansion

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, Jan 18, 2017.

1. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

There have been some indications recently that a CBR expansion was on the way and now we have confirmation. A permit was filed today with the South Florida Water Management District for Project 88 at Caribbean Beach.

I have marked in red on this plan the locations of 7 new buildings including what I assume will be a multi-level main building which will replace some of the existing buildings. The expansion pad in the lower right will also get one large building but will mostly be taken up by a new storm water retention pond. It also looks like there will be a re-alignment of Cherlonia Parkway where it meets Buena Vista Drive so it no long lines up with Backstage Lane. The second drawing shows the outlines of the work areas.

upload_2017-1-18_10-7-27.png

upload_2017-1-18_10-9-23.png

S.P.E.W, KathyJetson, bgoofy and 29 others like this.
  2. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Original Poster Premium Member

Work is scheduled to begin in 2017 and be complete in 2019.

3. Next Big Thing

Next Big Thing Well-Known Member

Definitely betting on this being a DVC

S.P.E.W and wdwgreek like this.
  4. P_Radden

P_Radden Premium Member

I was really holding out hope for a DVC tower (similar to BLT) on that empty pad...

Also had fantasies of a water canal connecting CBR to a second International gateway on the empty pad in WS :(

O well, still fun to dream
    epcotcanal1.jpg

5. Jon81uk

Jon81uk Well-Known Member

I would assume this is mainly to consolidate the resort and remove the current unusual set-up of having check-in away from the main restaurant and services. It doesn't look like any of the new buildings Dan circled are big enough for accommodations.

Incomudro and bhg469 like this.
  6. danlb_2000

Yeah, nothing in the plans showing a connection to Epcot which is something these plans would show.

S 2, David2319, alissafalco and 2 others like this.
  7. danlb_2000

If the largest building I marked is multi-story them it could contain rooms. There have been reports recently of height balloons in this area which would indicate a tall building.

alissafalco, Gabe1, JenniferS and 3 others like this.
  8. danlb_2000

Here is a rough sketch of where the large new building will go.

upload_2017-1-18_10-56-38.png

9. PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum Well-Known Member

The large, multi-angle building marked over top of what is now known the Barbados village very much looks to be a guestroom building. I'd wager that those guessing a new DVC tower are correct.

10. seascape

seascape Well-Known Member

The plans as described don't look big enough for a DVC addition here. On the other had it does fit in with Iger's statement of more hotel rooms being added. I still hold out hope for regular room additions to both CBR and Coronado and the big DVC resort being at River Country. WDW needs several thousand more rooms before 2021.

flyerjab likes this.
  11. danlb_2000

Looking closer at the plans it appears that all the guest buildings I have marked below will be going away.

upload_2017-1-18_11-10-54.png

12. danlb_2000

Back when the balloon were spotted I did this estimation of their location. Line up pretty close to where this new building will be.

upload_2017-1-18_11-12-49.png

Unplugged, S 2, David2319 and 15 others like this.
  13. P_Radden

P_Radden Premium Member

Can anyone say if that area was an older section of the resort? Maybe like the first phase that was built? I have never stayed there and don't know much about CBR, but I am curious as to why they would remove all those buildings? Or maybe the new building going in to the left of that will be a tower? But even then there will be a large empty area there where the old buildings stood...

14. Jahona

Jahona Well-Known Member

That's a large swath of rooms going away. The proposed plan for the large one building doesn't seem to justify the removal of that many rooms. This should be an interesting development. It's been a while since one of the moderates has been the target of a lot of changes.

flyerjab, Jon81uk and dreamscometrue like this.
  15. danlb_2000

After doing a quick an rough estimate the new building seems to have about the same size foot print as the parts of either the Swan or Dolphin that hold the guest rooms. So this could easily add a 1000 rooms if it's tall enough.

alissafalco, flyerjab and Jahona like this.
  16. FerretAfros

FerretAfros Well-Known Member

Regarding the realignment of Chelonia Pkwy, here's an overlay of the plans for the Buena Vista Dr modifications, courtesy of @TimeTrip in the thread about that location. Buena Vista Dr will be widened to the south, aligning with the new bridge across the canal on the other side of the interchange:
    overlay.jpg

With the offset from Backstage Ln and the proximity of the new interchange, it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to eliminate the signal at that location. It could still be right turn-only onto Chelonia Pkwy, essentially a T-intersection on a divided highway (same for Backstage Ln on the other side) while allowing all the EB/WB through-traffic to flow freely. There would still be signals at the CBR entrance and on the east side of Epcot Center Blvd, at the existing Bonnet Creek Pkwy location and at the base of the new ramp from NB Epcot Center Blvd

Chelonia Pkwy only services the Bonnet Creek properties, which I believe is outside the RCID limits. Obviously they have to accommodate all that traffic somehow, though they're not obligated to make it especially easy to access.

17. Mike730

Mike730 Well-Known Member

Looooots of parking is my guess.

Looks like they're shrinking the two current ponds near the check-in and adding a new one to the north. All that open land directly in front of the new building....

edit: I'm also gonna wager that building on the expansion pad is backstage.

JenniferS likes this.
  18. danlb_2000

Yeah, that makes sense to me.

Jahona likes this.
  19. Mike730

Mike730 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pond E3 (above the new building in this picture) has a peculiar shape, like its meant to go around something.

Your options now are:
    -New building
    -Close to food building
    -Trinidad South

amazingwdw likes this.
  20. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

Great spot, thanks for posting.

amazingwdw, ScoutN, JohnByers and 4 others like this.