1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Magenta Panther

Magenta Panther Well-Known Member

Moana was a very pretty movie, but it...was missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it. But aside from its gorgeous visuals, it just didn't do it for me. FWIW.

2. Jrn14

Jrn14 Well-Known Member

I've said this before, but I liked The Tiki Room better... under new management... People in the audience would get up and dance, it was funnier, and the added effects and animatronics were better.. When it went back to the original show I was surprised at how incomplete it felt. It was cute, but even for a small show like that it felt like it really needed more. I think adding Moana and friends is a great idea... I think Under New MGMT 2 is fine with me... it's small attraction in a small space with animatronics. I'd rather them just refresh the show than lose it completely.

rdoncsecz, WDWTank and Biff215 like this.
  3. KBLovesDisney

KBLovesDisney Well-Known Member

So, they would put Maui as a fully active audioanimatronic in the center of the room (probably still with a projected face) and have a projected faced AA of Moana in a static mode (like Elsa/Anna/etc. from Frozen Ever After) somewhere along with a HeiHei AA...

I can see it now. (Pardon my spelling of the characters)

Maui did something to upset the goddess Tefiti (stole the heart) Then the volcanoes erupt (this would still be the exact same effect from the windows used from the old Tiki Room show). Maui would pop out of the middle column..thingy with the glowing heart in hand. Then Moana would appear and talk him into giving it back to Tefiti/Teka before she gets really mad. Maui gives it back. All the birds/creatures/whatever they add sing happily that Tefiti is back. The end.

Boom.
    [​IMG]

4. WondersOfLife

WondersOfLife Well-Known Member

Sounds better than the original tho... I'd bet it would be scarily accurate!

KBLovesDisney likes this.
  5. tirian

tirian Well-Known Member

I felt the same way. To me, Moana was an odd mashup of The Little Mermaid and The Emperor's New Groove. It was okay, but I didn't love it. Again, IMHO FWIW.

I love the current version of the Tiki Room, despite its edits.

6. solidyne

solidyne Active Member

This nails it. I am in that nostalgic category, and it is hard to face the truth, but the truth is the truth. :(

7. WondersOfLife

WondersOfLife Well-Known Member

I was in the nostalgic bubble as well, until I constantly heard my newbie friends complain about how boring/old it is every time I take anyone on it.

Ironically, Country Bears is always a hit or miss! My friends/family either find it amusing and funny or, again, boring and outdated. But at least it's not 100% boring and outdated.

Sonconato and solidyne like this.
  8. DisneyManOne

DisneyManOne Well-Known Member

I just noticed that DSNY Newscast--the YouTube channel @Next Big Thing said was basically the Disney equivalent of TMZ--posted a video about this rumor...

Honestly, I think that if this were to happen, they would've announced it at D23. I really don't think this will happen.

9. Musical Mermaid

Musical Mermaid Member

I hope not. I didn't like this movie and I'm tired of princesses being shoved into everything. They have way too many and they all just blend together nowadays. When I saw this movie, it was too similar to plots and personalities already presented. They use the same storyline for all these princesses and the sarcastic, rude sidekick guy got on my nerves the whole film. No, just no.

Speaking of rude, sarcastic characters, I was never a fan of the Iago and Zazu Tiki show and I was at the age where Disney would have expected me to enjoy it. I was glad when I heard about the accident with the animatronic and the original show would be returning. I like the original show, it's a good break in the day, nice and relaxing. It gives me similar vibes to those at the Polynesian Resort. It feels like it's more in the same spirit and we don't get much of that at Disney World these days. Everything is rush, rush, rush and let's try to crack jokes that aren't funny. If anything, I wish the fountain was back and the show was a little longer. If the kids don't like it, there's plenty of distractions for them in Fantasyland. Every attraction isn't meant to appease everyone.

10. KBLovesDisney

[​IMG]

11. Musical Mermaid

Musical Mermaid Member

She's a princess according to Disney. Then again, they consider Mulan a princess too. Mulan is definitely not a princess.

12. Lets Respect

Lets Respect Well-Known Member

I would be ok with a Moana overlay of some sort if they kept the birds and the tikis and stuff.
    As long as it's not Star Wars or Marvel I'm cool

JudyHopps likes this.
  13. zengoth

zengoth Active Member

That would have been a great crowd warm-up, right? "You know that ancient bird show taking up valuable real estate...?" I don't think D23 has ever been used to crush the hearts of fans everywhere. :cool:

ford91exploder likes this.
  14. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

Considering Moana is one of the greatest Disney films ever, sorry Elsa and Olaf, I'd be totally okay with her having a presence here! It's truly criminal she's almost nowhere to be found!

15. KBLovesDisney

Honestly, Moana is better than Frozen in so many ways.

16. Magicart87

Magicart87 Well-Known Member

Moana felt incomplete to me. Frozen was over-hyped and pretty basic. Of all the more recent CGI Disney films my personal favorite is Planes Tangled. More deserving of a movie to ride adaptation, IMO. However, If Moana taking over Tiki is the only way to save the attraction from disappearing I'll happily welcome the IP overhaul... well so long as "The Rock" doesn't become the living embodiment and mascot of Adventureland.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM
    Derrit, AJH219 and alias8703 like this.
  17. Seabasealpha1

Seabasealpha1 Well-Known Member

Or we could just leave the tiki birds as a part of the attraction and figure out how to update the show so that its relevant AND timeless...

But I suppose that'd just be too darn hard and expensive...

18. SpoiledBlueMilk

SpoiledBlueMilk Active Member

So am I - the Tiki Room is Disney heritage. I'd say pick it up and put it in a building within the Poly complex. It would keep with the theme and maybe draw some people off park to the hotel area.

solidyne and Kman101 like this.
  19. doctornick

doctornick Well-Known Member

I feel like this is going to be a Moana version of the Tiki Room kinda like how it is a Stitch version in Tokyo. I'm not exactly excited about the idea but it doesn't seem like a horrible crime against nature either. Moana certainly fits the basic theme of the attraction.

Kman101 likes this.
  20. EricsBiscuit

EricsBiscuit Well-Known Member

That's how CBJ came along. It was originally part of the Mineral King project that was shelved because of a Sierra Club lawsuit. However, I doubt they'll ever put Tiki Room in Poly.