Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

999th Happy Haunt

The idea of IP in Adventureland is scoffed at, yet Indiana Jones, one of the most well received Disney rides on the planet, plays a huge role in the original Disneylands Adventureland. Some of you are extremely selective in your arguments / crusade against modern IP.
Indiana actually fits the tone and look of Adventureland. Cartoons like Moana and Aladdin don't.

spacemt354

Chili's
The idea of IP in Adventureland is scoffed at, yet Indiana Jones, one of the most well received Disney rides on the planet, plays a huge role in the original Disneylands Adventureland. Some of you are extremely selective in your arguments / crusade against modern IP.
Nah. Nothing wrong with properly placed IPs that add to and contribute to furthering the overall scope of a land such as Adventureland.

Indy is a prime example of adding to an almost 40 year old land at the time while still maintaining the integrity of the land. One of its main supervisors was Tony Baxter, so no surprise there.

Adding a Disney film inspired Arabian themed spinner in a lush jungle setting is a bad design choice by manipulating the prior landscape for the worse. Replacing the Tiki Birds with Moana would be another bad design choice.

doctornick

Replacing the Tiki Birds with Moana would be another bad design choice.
I guess I'm not seeing it. How would Moana be a de facto "poor design choice"? You have a tropical Polynesia area/attraction and Moana is a film based in a tropical Polynesian setting. Obviously, execution would determine how appropriate it is, but I don't understand why one would be blanket dismissive of Moana as appropriate for Adventureland.

999th Happy Haunt

I guess I'm not seeing it. How would Moana be a de facto "poor design choice"? You have a tropical Polynesia area/attraction and Moana is a film based in a tropical Polynesian setting. Obviously, execution would determine how appropriate it is, but I don't understand why one would be blanket dismissive of Moana as appropriate for Adventureland.
The tiki birds all look lifelike. Moana and her animal friends are cartoons, and not realistic.

Phil12

Calling Jungle Cruise an IP is a real stetch. And Pirates was an attraction long before it was translated to other media. And in what meaningful sense is Tiki Birds an IP?

And Aladdin's carpets is simply awful.
But nothing says Adventure more than Kevin from Up. He would be a perfect replacement for the Tiki Room bore-athon.

spacemt354

Chili's
You're misreading. I never said Moana was not appropriate for Adventureland, though some can make valid arguments that it isn't. It replacing the Enchanted Tiki Room is the poor design choice, not only due to its infusion of more animation IP into a more naturalistic setting, akin to the mistakes of Aladdin, but also because it's replacing a classic, original attraction, and missing out on another opportunity to bring a much needed E-ticket to Adventureland and the Magic Kingdom as a whole.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I like seeing the Tiki show each time I stop by the MK. However, there are two parts that grate on me: The ridiculously accented and unfunny emcee birds; and the horrendously pedestrian song, "Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Do."

So imagine a different intro featuring Moana telling us of the Polynesian culture including the Welcome to the Tiki Room song.

Then Moana's theme song with the bird choir.

Then Maui insinuates himself with an abbreviated "You're Welcome". Then he instigates the flowers and tikis to sing their songs which awaken the volcano god.

Then Moana sings the Te Fiti soothing song to calm the volcano.

Then "We Know the Way" as the finale.

doctornick

The tiki birds all look lifelike. Moana and her animal friends are cartoons, and not realistic.

And yet the Stitch makeover in Tokyo blended a cartoon character with the tradition attraction and has been well received.

I get -- and even agree with, really -- the aversion to toon invasion to the parks and to losing classic attractions. But on the surface (Again, depending on execution) making over the Tiki Room to include Moana seems pretty benign and logical. It's not some crazy Frozen in Norway absurd fit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You keep saying "cartoon." And you reveal your intent here in that you say "cartoon" instead of saying the more accepted "animated." After all, would you say Snow White "is just a cartoon"?

But let's put aside the diminutive nomenclature, let's talk medium. Stories get told in various media: an oral narrative; a written novel; live action theater; live action movies; classic hand-drawn animation; CGI animation; etc...

It is very very very very common for characters that exist in one medium, to be represented in another medium. So many of the animated characters become real-life characters in M&Gs, in parades, on a stage. The live action theater production of Aladdin in Disneyland had received rave reviews from guests. Would you dismiss that production as being "just a cartoon"?

Moana is an adventure story. Its medium happens to be animation. If she is translated into Adventureland in the guise of a different medium, such as a person portraying her, a projection, a puppet, or someone just orally telling her story... she belongs in Adventureland because she's an adventurer.

Calling her a "cartoon" has absolutely zero clout as an argument that she doesn't belong, because, IMO, such distinctions of medium are artificial and irrelevant. A character translated into a new medium is not diminished by whatever their medium of origin.

spacemt354

Chili's
making over the Tiki Room to include Moana seems pretty benign and logical.
Let's not forget that this attraction has been 'made over' before...and we know how that turned out.
newmanagement_sign2009ww.jpg

My opinion? Leave the Tiki Room alone. Don't replace. Add.

DisneyDodo

You keep saying "cartoon." And you reveal your intent here in that you say "cartoon" instead of saying the more accepted "animated." After all, would you say Snow White "is just a cartoon"?

But let's put aside the diminutive nomenclature, let's talk medium. Stories get told in various media: an oral narrative; a written novel; live action theater; live action movies; classic hand-drawn animation; CGI animation; etc...

It is very very very very common for characters that exist in one medium, to be represented in another medium. So many of the animated characters become real-life characters in M&Gs, in parades, on a stage. The live action theater production of Aladdin in Disneyland had received rave reviews from guests. Would you dismiss that production as being "just a cartoon"?

Moana is an adventure story. Its medium happens to be animation. If she is translated into Adventureland in the guise of a different medium, such as a person portraying her, a projection, a puppet, or someone just orally telling her story... she belongs in Adventureland because she's an adventurer.

Calling her a "cartoon" has absolutely zero clout as an argument that she doesn't belong, because, IMO, such distinctions of medium are artificial and irrelevant. A character translated into a new medium is not diminished by whatever their medium of origin.

Could not have said this any better myself. I 100% that both the premise that Moana is inherently cartoon and that cartoons are inherently anti-Adventureland are quite flawed (and both would have to be true to conclude that Moana would be a poor fit for AL).

In terms of the second premise, it seems to stem from this idea that the fact that something didn't exist in a land when it was created implies that it doesn't belong. However, based on this logic, we could never add anything to any land. Tomorrowland was built without any roller coasters, but that doesn't make Space Mountain a poor fit. Rather, it's a great fit because space travel fits in well with TL's theme. Similarly, a cartoon about adventure would fit into AL every bit as much as animatronic pirates.

Musical Mermaid

To me, Moana doesn't fit in with the Tiki Room show. I like the idea of going into this hut and then seeing it come to life with these tropical birds, flowers, and tikis entertaining guests. It's their show. Adding Moana to it is like adding Disney's Davy Crockett to Country Bears Jamboree. Oh, just because it has a somewhat Polynesian background it automatically fits? That's a very superficial reason.

Most of the adventure in Moana did not occur in a hut, it took place on a boat on the water. Well, Jungle Cruise is also outdated. Let's replace that, there's already a place at Walt Disney World where we can experience live hippos, rhinos, and elephants. There are boats, they can put up a volcano somewhere, integrate the random coconuts somewhere... This seems like it would convey the adventure of Moana better than singing with birds and flowers in a hut.

And just to be clear, I think Moana was an average movie and I wouldn't like to see it in Adventureland at all, but it seems like a better fit for the Jungle Cruise than Tiki Room.

my grandmother passed many many years ago and although I do not visit Disney often (going on my 4th time). I make it a point to go to the tiki bird show because it was my nana's favorite attraction. I would go and think of her the whole time the show was going on. My first time at Disney 1982 I can remember how much she loved that show and the smile I can still see. My wife would ask "why do we have to go to the tiki birds"? you all know my reason now.
to close that would be disappointing to me seeing I will be there for my wife and I 20th kid less anniversary vaca and yes
I will drag my wife to the tiki birds

999th Happy Haunt

Sorry for using the incorrect term, but I just think animated style characters would just look out of place in the tiki room, with its overall realistic look (aside from everything can talk and sing.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom