Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

prfctlyximprct

I'm hoping a Moana attraction goes somewhere! And soon! :p I wish they'd stick it somewhere brand new rather than overlaying Tiki Birds but it must get something!

Moana was better than Frozen. Yes I said it.

And my nephews and nieces all loved Moana wholeheartedly. My nephew has played "you're welcome" all summer long. I truly hope Moana gets represented somewhere! :)

spacemt354

Chili's
There's a Lion King Restaurant, an Aladdin walk through attraction and an Indiana Jones Rollercoaster in Disneyland Paris' Adventureland....and it's a far better Adventureland than Orlando.
DLP's Adventureland opened itself up to these places you mention very early on. The park opened in 1992, and Aladdin's Enchanted Passage (as well as an entire Adventureland Bazaar section) opened in 1993 - with design of the area concurrent with the production of the film itself.

The Indy Roller Coaster you mention also opened in 1993, and the Hakuna Matata Restaurant was an overlay of Aux Epices Enchantées in the African themed area in 1995.

What the complaints have been about are when IPs are shoehorned into areas that for decades have been unique and charming on their own merits. Replacing or overlaying attractions rather than trying to find a way to enhance the land with inspired attractions, such as IJA for Disneyland's Adventureland in 1995, is why I at least am weary of this proposal.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm hoping a Moana attraction goes somewhere! And soon! :p I wish they'd stick it somewhere brand new rather than overlaying Tiki Birds but it must get something!

Moana was better than Frozen. Yes I said it.

And my nephews and nieces all loved Moana wholeheartedly. My nephew has played "you're welcome" all summer long. I truly hope Moana gets represented somewhere! :)
and Tangled is better than both of them.

solidyne

Let's not forget that this attraction has been 'made over' before...and we know how that turned out.
newmanagement_sign2009ww.jpg

My opinion? Leave the Tiki Room alone. Don't replace. Add.
This was bad not because it was a makeover or because it was IP but because it was horribly tacky. Really, it is all about tastefulness and style. Almost any characters or themes, whether from existing films or altogether new, can work well, provided they are integrated with artistry, imagination, and most of all, good taste.

Haymarket2008

There are just some experiences that should be devoid of IP intrusion. It's just too prevalent to replace. I think it's a vital part of what makes Disney parks unique. I'm glad that whatever happens to WDW's hopefully won't change things at Disneyland, but still.....that is yet another deterioration that is hard to stomach. It makes all the other connecting experiences (Trader Sam's, Skipper Canteen, etc) meaningless if you chip away at park institutions. Soon it will be a nostalgia thing that only the small percent of park goers will understand. A continuation of the purge of their purist fan base.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Same thing for me. It was my Grandpa, though. He loved the Tiki Birds and the Redhead in Pirates.

It is a completely wonderful nostalgic trip for me, every time I am in either attraction.

For me it is my mother except she is still alive so she does the dragging of her sons, grandchildren and great grandchildren on it every time we go. And yes, my Dad makes us ride PotC for the Redhead and is already griping about changes.

There are just some experiences that should be devoid of IP intrusion. It's just too prevalent to replace. I think it's a vital part of what makes Disney parks unique. I'm glad that whatever happens to WDW's hopefully won't change things at Disneyland, but still.....that is yet another deterioration that is hard to stomach. It makes all the other connecting experiences (Trader Sam's, Skipper Canteen, etc) meaningless if you chip away at park institutions. Soon it will be a nostalgia thing that only the small percent of park goers will understand. A continuation of the purge of their purist fan base.
BINGO !!!!

ppete1975

I think tiki should be left alone... its a walt project and the whole premise is you are sitting in there and magically the birds come to life. Its supposed to be based on real life animals suddenly being able to talk, and the popular at the time (coming back currently) tiki craze that happened after the gis came back from WW2. To me this would be like adding the ghostbusters to haunted mansion, or Rambo to jungle cruise... could I make the concept fit... sure but why take a classic attraction and add an ip just because they both live on an island.
I hate johnny depp being in the redone pirates (another classic) but at least hes a part of the movie named after the ride. I am fine getting rid of classic rides if they just don't fit anymore due to technology or interest... such as mr toad and some of the others that were plywood cutouts, (toad should have been modernized), but the attraction is still working great and is always busy..

prberk

and Tangled is better than both of them.

You know, I have to say, you guys on this board are convincing me that I have really missed a good modern classic from Disney in
"Tangled." I see most Disney releases but managed to miss this one when it was in theatres and have still not made time to see it. But the more I read this board over the last few years, it seems I am missing a good one. I will have to take the time some time.

I have to admit that I have not run out to see modern Disney releases like a used to (children or not), because I have been less than impressed; but when they do something right I want to acknowledge it.

ppete1975

You know, I have to say, you guys on this board are convincing me that I have really missed a good modern classic from Disney in
"Tangled." I see most Disney releases but managed to miss this one when it was in theatres and have still not made time to see it. But the more I read this board over the last few years, it seems I am missing a good one. I will have to take the time some time.

I have to admit that I have not run out to see modern Disney releases like a used to (children or not), because I have been less than impressed; but when they do something right I want to acknowledge it.
i too missed tangled... and princess frog, I must remedy

Kevin_W

Honestly, it's my favorite of the recent crop of Disney movies. I'd probably rank them Tanged, Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, PatF, Wreck it Ralph. But I liked all of them.

Kman101

Terrible movie, Princess and The Frog is miles and miles better than Punzie and Flynn

I like both about the same, I think they're both great and pretty underrated. I wouldn't say Tangled is 'terrible' though. Far from it but to each their own :D I'd say Princess is more underrated than Tangled though.

prberk

Honestly, it's my favorite of the recent crop of Disney movies. I'd probably rank them Tanged, Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, PatF, Wreck it Ralph. But I liked all of them.

Princess and the Frog got New Orleans mythology right and was well-done, I thought. Also a nice return to 2-D animation.

Personally, I was kind of bored by Zootopia and (don't hit me) Moana, and that's unusual for me and a Disney animated feature. Both seemed just a tad overlong and bloated for their story. I did think the visuals and songs in Moana were very good.

Sorry for the thread drift.

"In the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki room, the birds sing words and the flowers croon..." as well they should, and do not need an IP, popular or not.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom