1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Unplugged

Unplugged Well-Known Member

I supposed if they are working to energize the show and make it more interactive, leveraging Maui could be a good call. But a lot of the changes as of late don't seem to be taking the "right" approach, just the cheap approach.

thehowiet and ford91exploder like this.
  2. GoofGoof

GoofGoof Well-Known Member

The cheapest approach is to shut the ride down completely.

3. insert name here

insert name here Well-Known Member

If the Tiki Birds do stay, then it sounds like this will be Under New Management Part 2: Moana and that chicken character join the show. Although I guess this wouldn't be as bad since it means the original show could come back when this IP is no longer in style.

Christian Fronckowiak likes this.
  4. dgp602

dgp602 Well-Known Member

The Aladdin influence worked so well.....;)

5. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Im sure thats in the realm of the possible outcomes as well

6. GoofGoof

Maybe, but if you think about it the best bang for their buck is to repurpose it to something more popular. They don't need to spend to build a new Moana ride, the Tiki Birds draw crowds again and you get a capacity boost at MK for a minimal amount of spend. If it gets popular enough (like Frozen Norway) they add FP+;). That seems more likely to me to be the line of thinking. I know you probably disagree, but the first choice of management isn't always going to be just close things to cut costs...see CoP.

Incomudro and Kman101 like this.
  7. MuteSuperstar

MuteSuperstar Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Moana was so popular. Seems like it did ok at the box office but certainly wasn't a huge hit by Disney standards.

I still find the talk of ruining the Tiki Room pretty nauseating but I'm over it at this point. I am way out of the target demographic that WDW now must cater (pander) to.

edit: ok Moana did 248m domestic, that's pretty good. According to Box Office Mojo it is the #1 all time film in the "Hawaii--Travelogue" genre. o_O

8. egg

egg Well-Known Member

And the Jungle Cruise, of course!

I think they should spin the area off into The Sedimentary Section of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Formed from fragments of existing material. They could even put a smoking section there so that people can get stoned. So many opportunities.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    pastrypossum and GoofGoof like this.
  9. aladdin2007

aladdin2007 Well-Known Member

I watched the stitch tiki room from tokyo online, and over anything I wish they would go with that, stitch was adorable in the show. Of course I dont really want them to touch it at all other than bringing the fountain back etc,,,but moana? bleh.

10. GoofGoof

Smoking section + giant turkey leg cart = :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

11. Stitch_Fan_NJ

Stitch_Fan_NJ Active Member

Please don't flame me if this was stated in this thread already but if Disney wanted to "energize" the show I think they need to bring in guest interaction i.e. Turtle Talk w/ Crush & Laugh Floor.

GoofGoof likes this.
  12. GoofGoof

They could go that direction. They just need to decide is the attraction more about "nostalgia" or more about appealing to today's kids. The general appeal to a lot of park fans is that the original dates back to Walt. Making it more modern could destroy that nostalgia but could make for a better overall show.

Kman101 and egg like this.
  13. MotherOfBirds

MotherOfBirds Well-Known Member

I for one welcome The Heihei Hut

14. Stitch_Fan_NJ

Stitch_Fan_NJ Active Member

I think they need to find a balance. Keep some of the tiki birds original and add a newer AA that can interact with guests. Not sure how it could be tied together but Disney could do it.

15. Biff215

Biff215 Well-Known Member

It's quite popular with kids and families, as shown by the line for the M&G at MNSSHP. Better story and even soundtrack than Frozen IMO. It's a little early to determine staying power, so it might be a slight risk to base an attraction around. That's why I could see them choosing an overlay here that would keep most of what is already there.

16. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

Another example of complete originality being forced into an IP tie-in.

17. Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank Member

Unfortunately, I agree that this is probably a common reaction. I have strong positive nostalgic feelings for the Tiki Room since I saw it many times as a kid in the '80s and '90s and always loved it. However, when my kids, wife and in-laws all saw it for the first time with me a few months ago, it was a complete and total thud with *all* of them. That was three generations of first time watchers ranging from 7-years old to 63-years old that didn't care for the Tiki Room at all, so this couldn't even be blamed on the supposed short-attention spans of today's youth. It was literally the only attraction at the Magic Kingdom where my own personal nostalgia was completely at odds with the experience of everyone else with me (unlike other classic rides which were still hits with them, such as It's a Small World and Haunted Mansion). When an attraction is only surviving because of pure nostalgia of memories of people from over 25 years ago and nothing else on the merits, then it's understandable that it may not be long for this world. It pains me to say that the Tiki Room looks like it's in that category.

18. Progress.City

Progress.City Well-Known Member

You know what? I thinketh of the perfectest idealistic replacementeth... (dare I say?).....

(Spoiler space)

ADVENTURES CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!

mitchk likes this.
  19. The Duck

The Duck Well-Known Member

Moana? Oh well. I guess I better get off my butt and see the movie so I'll have a hint to what's going on when the show reopens.

20. TROR

TROR Well-Known Member

Don't @ me but the Tiki Room isn't that great of a show and if they want to use that space for something better at WDW, then they should go for it. However, just placing IPs into it isn't going to be using that space better or offer anything of real value.

Also the Disneyland one should never be touched as it's the one with true history to it.