AVATAR land construction progress

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think people simplify the "Soarin over Pandora" concept. It's an easy option but we really don't know what it's going to be. If anything I would think Avatar is more up Disney's alley because it will be rock work heavy in the land, and the boat ride is likely going to be large physical sets.

Plus, the area around the rides is going to be fantastic.

flyerjab

In DAK right now. The Avatar construction is enormous looking now on the bus ride in. I saw so many people visibly react to that on the bus. They started asking questions as to what it was so I (naturally) started telling everyone what it was and that it was opening in 2017. There were people already talking about coming back in 2 years after it opens.

Flippin'Flounder

In DAK right now. The Avatar construction is enormous looking now on the bus ride in. I saw so many people visibly react to that on the bus. They started asking questions as to what it was so I (naturally) started telling everyone what it was and that it was opening in 2017. There were people already talking about coming back in 2 years after it opens.
Thats good, right. It means people actually want to see it.

IAmFloridaBorn

I think people simplify the "Soarin over Pandora" concept. It's an easy option but we really don't know what it's going to be. If anything I would think Avatar is more up Disney's alley because it will be rock work heavy in the land, and the boat ride is likely going to be large physical sets.

Hard to make that judgement until we have a better idea of the details of what Disney is building.

Fair points.

twebber55

\

I'm guessing I should have my phone ready for pictures when I head to Animal Kingdom on this trip, correct? I won't let you guys down :)

yeah come on guys take some pictures;)

twebber55

are they inclosing the E ticket yet?
can you see the floating mtns when you walk near rainforest café?

flyerjab

Sorry. Had a fast pass to get to so I couldn't get any photos. Will try to on my way out.

On a side note, I spoke to the staff in Pizzafari. Also, I am well aware of the cast member caveat that is attached to these types of rumors. With that said, I was told that the new TS restaurant being built on the other side of Puzzafari is going to be a cantina styled restaurant that will be a part of the Pandora expansion. As with all CM rumors, take it with the normal smidgen of NaCl. Not saying I believe it, just thought it was interesting.

twebber55

Sorry. Had a fast pass to get to so I couldn't get any photos. Will try to on my way out.

On a side note, I spoke to the staff in Pizzafari. Also, I am well aware of the cast member caveat that is attached to these types of rumors. With that said, I was told that the new TS restaurant being built on the other side of Puzzafari is going to be a cantina styled restaurant that will be a part of the Pandora expansion. As with all CM rumors, take it with the normal smidgen of NaCl. Not saying I believe it, just thought it was interesting.
well done flyerjab
any info is appreciated

doctornick

Huh. Well, I think it's already been established that Pizzafari was "expanding" to include a table service. So, it sounds like this is consistent with that. When you say "part of the Pandora expansion", do you mean "opening together with Pandora" or "the restaurant is part of the land of Pandora"? I think the former makes sense, but the latter wouldn't since it would be on the Discovery Island side of the bridge.

twebber55

Huh. Well, I think it's already been established that Pizzafari was "expanding" to include a table service. So, it sounds like this is consistent with that. When you say "part of the Pandora expansion", do you mean "opening together with Pandora" or "the restaurant is part of the land of Pandora"? I think the former makes sense, but the latter wouldn't since it would be on the Discovery Island side of the bridge.
I found that interesting as well
it s not like they don't have plenty of room to put a TS or QS restaurant in Pandora
so why put it there?

HauntedMansionFLA

That's great that you educated the park guest of what's going on at DAK. That's a good sign of people's reaction :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The FAA requires that any structure, 200' or taller, have a red warning light (or lit flag), at the highest point of all points that are 200' or taller.

Additionally, every tower, crane or building that will go up within an airport's airspace, or which may cause interference with airline communications.

Here's some light reading on the subject:
http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac 70 7460-1k.pdf

I wonder if there are special rules for ferris wheels because they are unique in the fact that their highest point is movable.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I assume the bus driver explained to people that this construction is the Marvel attractions being moved from Universal. ;)

doctornick

I found that interesting as well
it s not like they don't have plenty of room to put a TS or QS restaurant in Pandora
so why put it there?

OK, so I think it is reasonable to add a TS to Discovery Island. I don't think that aspect is odd -- it's not like DAK has so many table service places that adding ~2 more would be a problem. There's only 3 right now and one is a buffet.

That said, I would think you'd want to have a Table Service in Pandora itself, but perhaps they felt it would break the theme too much. I remember that WDW1974 mentioned specifically that there would be no table service in Pandora and there might be a quick service. I've got to think that they'll at least have a quick serve -- how can you have a land where you can't get a full meal somewhere -- but perhaps the no table service plan is correct. Early on, we heard about the plan being a "flex" restaurant that would be quick serve during the day and table service for dinner; perhaps that morphed into a straight quick serve.

Then again, maybe they decided to add a third attraction to the land and needed the space for that instead of food. We can only hope.....

flyerjab

Here are some photos.

image.jpg

The framework for the Floating Mountains.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom