AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Phantom Mickey

I back story of the land is that Alpha Centauri Expeditions is now taking people on tourist trips to Pandora which could be used to justify anything that doesn't fit into the Pandora environment. Hopefully they won't rely to heavily on this crutch, but I think it may be used to justify gift shops and restaurants.

Oh that fits right in. The shops will be made from trees and leaves, the Cast members will be in blue tights looking like the natives, probably have to sand on a box to get the height. Same with the restaurants. any ride cast members will be in the same native costume. It can be done, the monkeys gymnists at Lion King have a similar costume, just have to die these blue. Bet Disney is sewing up these costumes right now. $$$$$$$$$

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Oh that fits right in. The shops will be made from trees and leaves, the Cast members will be in blue tights looking like the natives, probably have to sand on a box to get the height. Same with the restaurants. any ride cast members will be in the same native costume. It can be done, the monkeys gymnists at Lion King have a similar costume, just have to die these blue. Bet Disney is sewing up these costumes right now. $$$$$$$$$

I sure hope they don't go that route, there is no way a person in a costume can accurately reproduce the look of the Navi. They aren't just tall, they are proportionally larger then humans in all respects.

flyerjab

I am assuming that the cast members in this part of the park will be 'workers' from the Alpha Centuri Expeditions company, and will be there to act as our cultural guides. Looking at all of the work that went into creating the fabricated yeti expedition in the EE queue line, I have high hopes for similar experiences throughout this entire land.

Mike S

I am assuming that the cast members in this part of the park will be 'workers' from the Alpha Centuri Expeditions company, and will be there to act as our cultural guides. Looking at all of the work that went into creating the fabricated yeti expedition in the EE queue line, I have high hopes for similar experiences throughout this entire land.
The stuff they did for the Yeti expedition could easily be used for a movie. A very thrilling movie.

Mike S

Pirates of the Caribbean worked well. Although, isn't there already a movie called Everest?
Your point?
Frozen_Poster.jpg

This one would be called "Expedition Everest" anyway ;)

Phantom Mickey

I sure hope they don't go that route, there is no way a person in a costume can accurately reproduce the look of the Navi. They aren't just tall, they are proportionally larger then humans in all respects.

Thanks, an off the cuff thought, funny, maybe not. Then again, no one questions that Mickey mouse is a full sized charactor yet he is child size next to Walts statue or the buildings are Forced perspective. Size may not be important in this case.

HauntedMansionFLA

The stuff they did for the Yeti expedition could easily be used for a movie. A very thrilling movie.
I don't think Disney will take a chance on another movie based off a ride. The TV show based off of Big Thunder Mountain kind of disappeared. Tomorrowland was a disappointment and I didn't like Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion. Yeti would have to be the right script.

KingOfEpicocity

I don't think Disney will take a chance on another movie based off a ride. The TV show based off of Big Thunder Mountain kind of disappeared. Tomorrowland was a disappointment and I didn't like Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion. Yeti would have to be the right script.

I loved tomorrowland but that really had no ties to the park besides the name and space mountain.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thanks, an off the cuff thought, funny, maybe not. Then again, no one questions that Mickey mouse is a full sized charactor yet he is child size next to Walts statue or the buildings are Forced perspective. Size may not be important in this case.

I think it's different when are talking about a obviously animated character instead of a land where they are trying to accurately reproduce the world of the movie.

No Name

Questions.

Do you think the Navi will be more covered up than those in the movie? I know there are a few well-covered Navi in the movie, but most wear loincloths and not much more. Even if there may not be Navi played by real people in the land, there will be animatronics as well as possibly on screen Navi.

And on that topic, do you think they should be more covered up than those in the movie?

No Name

Ahhh let this speak for its self...
1Idrxdc.png

Pretty sure they'll just design them like in the movies, i'm pretty sure Disney has already posted prototypes of them, also my opinion is covering them up more or changing there clothes aspect would be kinda westerning them and therefore would be ruining the point of the entire land, would it not?

Well here's my opinion. I think the Navi are creepy and weird. So anything to make them look less creepy and weird is fine by me.

Tigger has no clothes. But he's an animal, and people are accustomed to and okay with animals not wearing any clothing (since they don't in real life). Tigger is also cute and friendly while I think the Navi are creepy. So it's a bit different.

I thought to ask because there are rumors that Disney is changing Jasmine's costume to be more covering. So even though the Navi are technically aliens, and they may only be animatronics, it's kind of a double standard.

And since they've been changing the princesses' park costumes to be different from what they wear in their movies, they've kind of set the precedent to make these changes, if you see what I mean.

But even I don't have a terribly strong opinion on it. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Daveeeeed

Well here's my opinion. I think the Navi are creepy and weird. So anything to make them look less creepy and weird is fine by me.

Tigger has no clothes. But he's an animal, and people are accustomed to and okay with animals not wearing any clothing (since they don't in real life). Tigger is also cute and friendly while I think the Navi are creepy. So it's a bit different.

I thought to ask because there are rumors that Disney is changing Jasmine's costume to be more covering. So even though the Navi are technically aliens, and they may only be animatronics, it's kind of a double standard.

And since they've been changing the princesses' park costumes to be different from what they wear in their movies, they've kind of set the precedent to make these changes, if you see what I mean.

But even I don't have a terribly strong opinion on it. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.
Animals have no clothes so does that mean I should be offended by watching Zootopia? I am not accustomed to animals with clothes.
It would be sad if Disney decides to change their costumes. Nothing wrong with human bodies much less than the Na'vi. How are the Na'vi creepy? It is just a movie character, wasn't a fan of the movie, but if you change it then you strip away Avatar's message.

Why would they change Jasmine's costume? Aladdin's is no different. Why is this even being talked about? People who get offended by it clearly cannot go to Europe, or the pool for that matter.

Daveeeeed

What matters is the story. Haunted Mansion if they actually spent more time, money and talent on the script could have been fantastic. Tomorrowland flopped because it was just okay, but very disappointing for a movie starting a franchise. Expedition Everest, like the Haunted Mansion, has great source material, but the script is what matters the most. Look at POTC, the first one was incredible, the ones that followed lost its quality, because they weren't so focused on the story. Alice in Wonderland is a good example in a way. First one wasn't very good, but people went because Alice in wonderland is so popular. Alice into the looking glass flopped because people don't have a reason to see it because most people said it was about the same or worse, now if Alice into the looking glass had positive reviews by the public then it probably wouldn't have flopped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom