AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

flyerjab

From what I remember is they were trying to make the Hobbit more kid friendly since The Hobbit was a children's book.

Not to perpetuate this thread drift, but I was a LOTR and Hobbit devotee ever since early high school so I worshipped at the alter of Tolkien. The LOTR movies were masterfully done as Pete Jackson and company had figure out how to trim down the story (for the most part) and still make it work. For the Hobbit, they decided that for the purposes of making more money, they made 3 movies instead of 2 and had to add in a lot of stuff. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. They butchered what was a charming kids story, and totally beefed up other parts of the story or created things that never even existed. It was an absolute travesty for me, as well as a huge disappointment.

Ok, I am done drifting now...

PorterRedkey

If Disney wanted Na'vi walking around, they could always go the Cirque du Soleil route ;)

6b03e624e2141772-635816651823352339-aDSC-9242.jpg
No thanks! However, I don't put it past Disney. If they do present the Navi, I hope they are at least on stilts.

RoysCabin

Because stabbing, killing..etc.. and having entire armies decimate themselves is for kids.. right?

In fairness, the original hobbit book was at least partially directed at a younger audience, and still included said stabbings and armies and whatnot, though Bilbo spent most of the final battle unconscious.

Marty Rotondo

is anyone else thinking that after the unfufilled hype over at universal studios (i.e. gringotts and kong) that avatarland is going to be stupid and lame?
Me: oh look... Screens.
Mickey: yes but look how big the show building is!
Me: .......cool

KingOfEpicocity

is anyone else thinking that after the unfufilled hype over at universal studios (i.e. gringotts and kong) that avatarland is going to be stupid and lame?

Well even if both of the rides suck, here's what I can pretty much garentee will be amazing. 1. The animatronics and 2. The landscaping of the land itself. Just look at the photo updates were getting. Imagine if Kong was an actual 12 acre skull island land. That's what this is, worst case scenario.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Those two rides may have been over hyped within the fan community but they are by no means bad rides. As for Avatar, only one of the rides is going to be screen based. Even if the rides do disappoint the land is going to be spectacular.

Marty Rotondo

Then you're going to get the Disney can do style, but not substance. It's a reasonable enough counter argument to Universal can only do screens.
Not that screens are necessarily a bad thing, if you do it right. Take back to the future and the simpsons for example. Then put soarin clear on the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe im just getting too old and cynical, but for the ammount of money they take from you it seems like they could be trying a little harder to be genuinely innovative. Probably just having an existential crisis though. Haha

brb1006

Not that screens are necessarily a bad thing, if you do it right. Take back to the future and the simpsons for example. Then put soarin clear on the opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe im just getting too old and cynical, but for the amount of money they take from you it seems like they could be trying a little harder to be genuinely innovative. Probably just having an existential crisis though. Haha
So far the Flight attraction while screen-based is actually going for a new style. It won't be like Soarin or the other simulator attractions at Universal but judging by the description it's sounds difficult to picture until you actually ride it in person. This could be a good sign.

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

So far the Flight attraction while screen-based is actually going for a new style. It won't be like Soarin or the other simulator attractions at Universal but judging by the description it's sounds difficult to picture until you actually ride it in person. This could be a good sign.

Especially with the ride vehicles that will apparently be actual banshees... And if it breathes and moves in any sort of interactive way, It might truly be innovative. or it may be like gringotts where the queue is better than the ride itself. Either way im plenty confident. Although i dont find soarin any worse than simpsons or BTTF...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom