jmuboy

Im loving this. I haven't felt this great about Disney in a while. Announce Star Wars land and ill go even crazier. I hope they stick to their guns on this. Lets not forget that once this is done we might have an Everest refurb to finally fix the yeti *fingers crossed*

Yes - as part of Everest's what ...15th anniversary (14 of those years in which the Yeti was broken!)

FigmentJedi

The central theme of Avatar is protecting and living in balance with nature which fits perfectly with Animal Kingdom's goals.
Except Avatar is about Earth having long since lost the fight for conservation. By being placed in Animal Kingdom, it's saying "None of the rest of this park matters because humans are just going to kill Earth anyway". There's no positive message of hope for conservation on Earth, just hope for Smurfcats.

jmuboy

Living with the (Avatar) Land, Soarin' 2.0 over pandora, and the high cost white knuckle E Ticket.

I dont think Avatar will have three rides anymore. I think there will only be 2 rides: Soarin Over Pandora and Glow in the Dark Pandora Canal Boats (buy your glow with the show mouse ears now to activate with your My Magic Plus bracelet). I believe the e-ticket third ride (a bike themed coaster) is being re-themed for use in the Star Wars expansion at Hollywood Studios and DL.

I did hear earlier on a restaurant would be a part of this. And you know a retail shop will end up somewhere in this area.

Last edited:

NowInc

As an interesting line of thought here...

I am not sure how many of you have been keeping up with the last year or so with what has been worked on at Disney Research. A HUUUUUUUGE portion of which involves adding feedback with interaction with REAL plants (making music, lighting up, recognizing when they are touched). I really REALLY hope some of this makes it way into its perfect fit in Avatarland.

JimboJones123

Living with the Avatarland is spot on. Looks to be nothing more than a combo of the old Land and Imagination rides. So, instead of bringing back either of those brilliant pieces of work, we get the Pandorultimate Mash-Up!

WDWFREAK53

People are starved for anything new, particularly in this park. When they think about it for a day or two, they will remember (as they did when the land was first announced) that it:

1. Is focused on an intellectual property with no memorable characters that has already left the cultural consciousness (unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter), and
2. Its concept has nothing to do with a park centered on Earth animals - utilizing the same logic (its about another planet and they have some animals there and it kind of looks like a jungle) they could put an Ewoks or Chewbacca attraction in Animal Kingdom and it would make sense also. It does not.

It was a panic move at a time when Disney thought it had no intellectual property that appealed to boys. Panic moves rarely work out and, further, now they have plenty of intellectual property that appeals to boys that they own outright and are more popular than Avatar (Star Wars, Marvel, Indiana Jones). Their insistence on going ahead with Avatarland in Animal Kingdom is foolish. They should have just scrapped the idea and ate the investment cost ... or built a substantially downsized attraction/mini-land in DHS where it kind of, sort of fits.

If the land is amazing as that concept art and the attractions are good...your point is invalid.

The entire movie was based around conservation which is one of the main themes of Animal Kingdom. If you can't see that, then you're not looking past the end of your nose. Just because it takes place on another planet does not mean that the feeling and message isn't Earth-based.

The animals/creatures on Pandora are all based on Earth counterparts. The main theme is that all creatures on Pandora are connected to the world they live on and if you disrupt it, you threaten the entire ecosystem. How is that any different than Earth?

Let me ask you this...how does the Wizarding World of Harry Potter fit in with Islands of Adventure? Hogwarts wasn't on an island. See what I did? I took one simple aspect of the theme of Islands of Adventure to prove my case but it's ridiculous because at least the "Adventure" part works. Same with Avatar in Animal Kingdom...sure the animals aren't based on Earth, but the theme of conservation fits.

So, while you're entitled to your opinion, if the land/attractions are great, the property doesn't matter.
Splash Mountain doesn't fit in with the rest of Frontierland but it works. How does Haunted Mansion fit in with Liberty Square? Should we replace it with something more themed to the American Revolution?

lazyboy97o

Am I the only one that thinks the artwork look more "expected" than "awesome"?

Seriously, only 25-30% of it will translate. Just look at Dumbo Circusland. Maybe Disney just needs to go in a whole new direction with their concept art. Less 4th grader.
No, you're not the only one. I do not see what people are gushing over. And we can see the sort of lousy art that Walt Disney Imagineering still produces with the night time art.

Atomicmickey

Well, ya walk away and go to sleep and look what happens.

So, yeah! The art looks great and I am thankful to have AN ACTUAL PROJECT
to discuss, instead of urine-spewing hand dryers.

I would like to know if anyone can figure out on a map, where the new
nighttime show will be built. I have my thoughts based on the rendering, but
does anyone know?

Atomicmickey

No, you're not the only one. I do not see what people are gushing over. And we can see the sort of lousy art that Walt Disney Imagineering still produces with the night time art.

Good point about the art. The nighttime show art probably done by WDI,
the Avatar art done by Cameron's team. I'll bet.

SirLink

Am I the only one that thinks the artwork look more "expected" than "awesome"?

Seriously, only 25-30% of it will translate. Just look at Dumbo Circusland. Maybe Disney just needs to go in a whole new direction with their concept art. Less 4th grader.

Well to be fair the concept art for FLE was all dull and cartoonish as least it isn't that.

WDWFREAK53

To Animal Kingdom? An animal-film-themed version of Fantasyland with four or five C-ticket darkrides (the Lion King, Bambi, Dumbo, Jungle Book, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Ratatouille, the Princess and the Frog, etc) and at least one (maybe two if you can stretch the money) E-ticket omnimovers themed to "Beastly Kingdom"-style Earth-based mythological creatures (perhaps the Sphinx in Africa and the Dragon and/or Unicorn in the new Animal-Fantasyland).

Regardless, you won't get me to defend the MK Fantasy Forest expansion ... it was poorly conceived and the only part of it that excited me was the mine coaster that was thrown in post-backlash. The concept art was lush and green with water features and all I saw in January was concrete everywhere.

So...four or five C-tickets...
Lion King...we already have a great Lion King show.
Bambi...where would you put it?
Dumbo already has an entire land basically dedicated to him at MK.
Jungle Book had a show that came and went.
Mr. Toad's was replaced for a reason.
Ratatouille fits with Animal Kingdom?
Princess and the Frog...what land in Animal Kingdom?

The examples you give really don't work. Bambi is the only one that MIGHT work because of the Camp Minnie-Mickey theme but is a Bambi C-ticket going to get people through the turnstiles? Does it start with Bambi's mother getting killed?

Then you want an E-ticket themed around the Beastly Kingdom concept. Again, if it's just an attraction, where does it fit within Animal Kingdom?

SirLink

I dont think Avatar will have three rides anymore. I think there will only be 2 rides: Soarin Over Pandora and Glow in the Dark Pandora Canal Boats (buy your glow with the show mouse ears now to activate with your My Magic Plus bracelet). I believe the e-ticket third ride (a bike themed coaster) is being re-themed for use in the Star Wars expansion at Hollywood Studios and DL.

I did hear earlier on a restaurant would be a part of this. And you know a retail shop will end up somewhere in this area.

I think @marni1971 probably knows something more -

cba

I have to give it to WDI, this looks awesome. Lately everyone (including me) has been really bashing TDO for lack of new rides and expansions, and talking about how Universal is doing so much better currently. But I think this may be the answer to start competing with Universal. Either way this concept art looks really cool, and also I'm happy with the new nighttime entertainment coming. That being said, can we hear some official DHS news now?

Kman101

I admit my reservations about concept to actuality, but I see it as an immersive land with much needed rides. Plain and simple. We can argue all day about Soarin' clone to make it sound less impressive but does the fact that there are so many boat rides lessen their impact and importance? No. And what are we all the most excited about? The boat ride. Do I want something new and innovative that just wows me. Yes, but if you look for problems, you're going to find them. I could easily pick this all apart and find no enjoyment in it. To each their own. I'm not saying I love Avatar itself, I'm trying to look at it from a different perspective than just hate on Avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom