Kman101

Very good concept art for a change. I've never seen Avatar, TBH, so I really didn't bother to even look at what was in the movie to see what the land could look like. I'm impressed, let's just hope they truly deliver. That's where I feel a bit negative, but I feel like at this point, WDW really needs to prove they are in the game again so I have hopes that this can be great.

I'm more excited for the night show, night safari and the Pandora boat ride, because it's badly needed. But the land looks incredible.

I'll wait and see what the actual rides will be and honestly, 2017 isn't THAT far off now. I'm frankly surprised it will be 2017, lol. I expected 2018 because we're already near the end of 2013. So if they start building in 2014, that's three years and that's honestly a surprise for this company who spent what felt like decades building New Fantasyland, which still isn't done.

cbsav

My primary worry is the land not living up to the art. And that's a pretty major worry considering how New Fantasyland turned out. And like New Fantasyland, it'll take forever to open. Just do this right for once guys...

Can you elaborate on this? In my opinion the New Fantasyland visually is beautiful and definitely lived up to the art work. The water features are great, rock work done well, and greenery is spot on. This is all with major construction still being done smack in the middle.

To be honest I actually think the esthetic/theming quality of the recent major land overhauls in the US (new fl, Carsland, buena vista st) should give you confidence that the land will at least look really good.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting news. Biggest Avatar progress since those sticks in the ground;). Call me a pixie duster, but I'm actually excited for this project now. The simulator still doesn't do much for me, but the boat ride is still in the mix and that's pretty exciting. The nighttime show and night safari are also good news. I hope this also means either new restaurants and/or expanded offerings at existing spots. If people are going to be staying past dark they are going to need somewhere to eat.

DisneyWall-E

I am glad they are finally putting in a night time show.
I don't want to be doom and gloom but I just hope that Pandora wont turn out like FLE. A lot of pretty stuff to look at but not a lot of substance.
I want Pandora to be great. I just have my doubts.

dreamscometrue

I haven't been this excited about something from WDW in a long, long time. I'm so excited about this! Love the movie and love the environment.

I'm with you. This has been a good couple of days. I think the Main Street U.S.A. bypass, that Steve said will be themed, is a nice, and very necessary project as well.

Can't wait 'til Star Wars and DHS overhaul is announced. :)

dreamscometrue

Anyone else beginning to think Disney is starting to turn the corner again...

Granted this is all going to take a few years but let's look potentially that is 5 years ahead

Disney springs
Avatarland or whatever they call it - major AK makeover
Star Wars land
And rumored Pixar expansion or lord of the rings who knows at DHS

Haven't seen any announcement yet in the DHS makeover but we all know it's coming in a big way down the road

I am NOT an avatar fan and had extreme doubts but after seeing this concept art and how they plan to do several things to enhance DAK I'm excited about it all now

I agree. I actually think New Fantasyland is great too, and visually very well themed. Further, I believe there has been general overall improved maintenance (Splash, Jungle Cruise, MuppetVision , Great Movie Ride, even Dinosaur looked better last month) as of late. I hope this is because of George K. and a renewed commitment to quality.

Matt_Black

Can you elaborate on this? In my opinion the New Fantasyland visually is beautiful and definitely lived up to the art work. The water features are great, rock work done well, and greenery is spot on. This is all with major construction still being done smack in the middle.

I absolutely agree. My only problem is that for the Fantasy part of New Fantasyland (not the Circus), they seemed to focus on 2 or 3 properties exclusively when they've got so many popular fantasy IPs to draw from.

Thrill Seeker

Concept art is beautiful and knowing WDI, it will look like the concept art. The boat ride looks great, but I don't like the Soarin' clone. This land deserves a state of the art E-Ticket that's something original. A clone of a (when it opens) 12 year old ride system that is very low capacity isn't the answer... Everything else looks great.

devoy1701

The art looks beautiful. But i'm still hesitant to believe that they will be able to finish this by 2017 considering nothing has begun. That would put it on the same timeline that it took to complete the Mine Coaster. Unless they are planning to phase open this Land which would be completely disappointing.

I find myself wondering how tall the floating mountains are though...are they going to take away from the Tree of Life?

Also, coming back to the Main Street bypass and the "horendeous" traffic problems down Main Street. A night time show at AK (and other parks) is how you help solve that problem. Traffc is worse now than it ever was because only IllumiNations and Wishes play every night, and DHS and AK are usually closed by 8pm. This nighttime show is much needed, long over due, and a true solutiom to help spread out the crowds within WDW by helping to keep the other parks open later so MK doesn't have to hold it's own by itself from 9pm-1am.

The Magical Genie 123

I haven't been a huge fan about Avatarland since its announcement, but the rides there look pretty neat. I don't think Disney will be able to make it look as good as it does in the concept art, but its still adding at least 2 more rides to Animal Kingdom. Plus, AK is getting more nighttime offerings. Animal Kingdom is starting to finally get some love. Next, we need Hollywood Studios :eek:

Since1976

Don't be that guy.

Ok, yeah. I admit that was harsh. And I'm sure the imagineers can pull off something that will be wonderful to behold.

I'm just a bit disappointed in the continued effort into creating a land that few demanded, based on a movie that, as others have pointed out, is nowhere near the cultural touchstone that Disney and Cameron are trying to have us believe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Anyone else beginning to think Disney is starting to turn the corner again...
Not yet. Epcot is still free falling faster than how long Soarin' takes to ride and DHS needs more than what's in danger of descending into a bandaid fix. Disney Springs is another attempt to fix a mess of their own creation. DAK needed this help a decade ago and it's still nowhere near complete and may just be be the minimum of what's needed. But it is a welcome addition that's sorely needed.

The upkeep and renovation at MK I saw recently needs commending (or should it if its meant to be routine) but the love and plussing in the castle park needs to be duplicated in the other three parks and fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom