wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Some mighty impressive concept. Great to see Disney getting back to that kind of quality art - it has been missing on some projects in recent times.

Amazing how some great artwork gets people excited :) If only they had done this originally I think AVATAR land would have gotten off to a much better start.

Captain Neo

For a media company, they truly do not get how to handle basic communication.

I get that they have pressured the OLC about a version of Pandora, but, seriously, at the D23 Expo in Anaheim you showcase things like Mystic Manor, which most Americans will never see. And in Tokyo, you show off art that you had two months ago for a WDW project that most Japanese will not see.

Do they even think about these things at all?

It's to entice people to travel and visit the other parks. They want California Disney freaks to visit HK DL and spend money there and they want Tokyo DIsney freaks to come to CA and FL and spend money. It's a clever strategy.

Seabasealpha1

FINALLY! Something to chew on...

It's only going to take a good two to three years before we can FULLY enjoy it...gonna be tough...

But hey, at least in about three to four months perhaps we'll figure out what the heck they're going to do to Imagination to tide us over!

REALLY glad to hear all of this...wish they'd have told us back home though...geez...

magicallactose

FINALLY! Something to chew on...

It's only going to take a good two to three years before we can FULLY enjoy it...gonna be tough...

But hey, at least in about three to four months perhaps we'll figure out what the heck they're going to do to Imagination to tide us over!

REALLY glad to hear all of this...wish they'd have told us back home though...geez...

Well, they said 2017, so that's more 3-4 years, right?
But yes, it's great to see the concept art!

WDW1974

Some mighty impressive concept. Great to see Disney getting back to that kind of quality art - it has been missing on some projects in recent times.

Amazing how some great artwork gets people excited :) If only they had done this originally I think AVATAR land would have gotten off to a much better start.

Disney does not understand its core competencies anymore. That is why they set themselves up for epic failures with crap like MM+.

And while the art is nicer than some of the total crap they have put out of late (yeah, Fantasyland, I'm looking at you), it means little if they don't deliver a wow product. I am hopeful on this for one reason only: James Cameron. Much like Rowling, he won't allow his artistic vision to be compromised by Disney loons.

Still, their unveiling of this project from the 9/11 announcement of a deal to showing art 25 months later on a Friday night at midnight in the USA at the start of a holiday weekend while at a fan event IN JAPAN has been --- as the kiddies like to say -- an EPIC FAIL.

Let's hope the project isn't as well.

WED99

To me the art says boat ride, Soarin 2.0 and nature walk?

I'm happy to see my favourite park being so greatly improved. I think the fantasy of Avatar will provide a nice break from the eco-friendly nature feel of the rest of the park.

WDW1974

It's to entice people to travel and visit the other parks. They want California Disney freaks to visit HK DL and spend money there and they want Tokyo DIsney freaks to come to CA and FL and spend money. It's a clever strategy.

No, it is not.

The amount of Americans who will ever venture to HKDL is so tiny to make the number completely insignificant in any analysis.

The number of Japanese who will visit WDW is only slightly more significant.

They have very little clue what they are doing.

Speaking of clueless, is Scarlett's manchild 'moron' (her word, not mine) boyfriend really tellin the world that Disney is close to a deal for LoTR's rights?!???!! What is with these people?

MerlinTheGoat

Thank God they kept the boat ride with REAL THEMING and REAL Audio Animatronics. God how long has it been since they did a ride like that? I wanna say since the early days of Epcot
I just hope they don't skimp on the animatronics and only have one or two throughout the entire ride and the rest be simple figures with little (or no) movement. Kind of like the majority of the Little Mermaid. There's no telling whether the entire ride will be like what is seen in the art, we'll see if there's more than just a single scene that is decked out in this kind of theming and animatronics.

How long has it been since they did something like you're talking about at WDW specifically? Splash Mountain in the early 90's would probably be your answer. Countdown to Extinction is probably the closest second (and the animatronics are pretty impressive), but it feels half baked due to the darkness and never-finished scenes. The parks in Asia have received some animatronic-heavy rides such as Sinbad at DisneySea. I guess you could count Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor (though even they don't have the massive AA population in the other past rides).

And while the art is nicer than some of the total crap they have put out of late (yeah, Fantasyland, I'm looking at you), it means little if they don't deliver a wow product. I am hopeful on this for one reason only: James Cameron. Much like Rowling, he won't allow his artistic vision to be compromised by Disney loons.

Let's hope the project isn't as well.
How likely (in your opinion of course) do you think it is that the project will live up to the concept art?

Something tells me someone's bitter that they didn't see this concept art reveal coming...

Might want to get your crystal ball fixed.
He's completely right though. Gorgeous though the concept art is (most people here seem to agree that it is incredibly pretty and has gotten people's attention who didn't even expect much from this), its reveal was handled in a mind-blowingly incompetent manner by the Disney company. It's just mind-boggling what a dumb move it was to release it the way they did.

Seabasealpha1

Well, they said 2017, so that's more 3-4 years, right?
But yes, it's great to see the concept art!
oh...shoot...missed that detail! At least by then my kid should be able to walk!

I just hope they do this well...even for people who hate the concept...if they do it well and the details are all there...they'll appreciate it or at least respect it!

Seabasealpha1

I just hope they don't skimp on the animatronics and only have one or two throughout the entire ride and the rest be simple figures with little (or no) movement. Kind of like the majority of the Little Mermaid. There's no telling whether the entire ride will be like what is seen in the art, we'll see if there's more than just a single scene that is decked out in this kind of theming and animatronics.

How long has it been since they did something like you're talking about at WDW specifically? Splash Mountain in the early 90's would probably be your answer. Countdown to Extinction is probably the closest second (and the animatronics are pretty impressive), but it feels half baked due to the darkness and never-finished scenes. The parks in Asia have received some animatronic-heavy rides such as Sinbad at DisneySea. I guess you could count Pooh's Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor (though even they don't have the massive AA population in the other past rides).

How likely (in your opinion of course) do you think it is that the project will live up to the concept art?

He's completely right though. Gorgeous though the concept art is (most people here seem to agree that it is incredibly pretty and has gotten people's attention who didn't even expect much from this), its reveal was handled in a mind-blowingly incompetent manner by the Disney company. It's just mind-boggling what a dumb move it was to release it the way they did.

Uh...John Carter? The Lone Ranger? Not all that mind-boggling...;) They kinda suck as of late at releasing things at the right time and with the right amount of fanfare or attention to details...

Just sayin'...

MerlinTheGoat

One hopes they gave this a healthy sized budget too though. There's only so much you can get with even the best creative and passionate people. I do trust Cameron and Rhode as creatives who care about making the project as good as it can be. I hope they're not restricted too much to work any of their magic on things.

Anyone have any clue what the approximate budget is for this? It was discussed a while back but I don't know whether a fairly solid number was ever pinned down by anyone. Or is it STILL in a state of flux to potentially be value engineered by someone?

Uh...John Carter? The Lone Ranger? Not all that mind-boggling...;) They kinda suck as of late at releasing things at the right time and with the right amount of fanfare or attention to details...

Just sayin'...
Agreed, though this screwup seems (if possible) like even a step beyond those blunders. You know, Eisner is said to have voiced an opinion at one point that theme parks were so easy a monkey could run them. Well i'm almost convinced that a monkey might be better at marketing and PR than the morons they've got handling things now...

Disneyfan_76

Is it just me or does Tom S. have a look on his face like someone took a $#!@ on that table? You would think they would have picked a better shot of all three of them.

AdventureHasAName

Terrible, terrible ... TERRIBLE ... use of Disney resources. And an awful job of forward thinking by the company. I could write 2,000 words on why this is a bad idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom