Autopia apparently receiving slight changes

NobodyElse

Star Tours has a good queue, but the ride itself is just a screen with moving chairs.

I'm going to have to call you on this one. I've grown to simply dismiss the "stating opinion as fact" that is becoming commonplace here and elsewhere, but the above statement is misleading / false. It actually inadvertently points out one of the aspects of Star Tours that makes me hold it in much higher regard than other simulator type attractions. Attractions with "moving chairs", or moving clusters of chairs incorporated with a stationary screen always seem to come up short when compared to a Star Tours system. By having a screen locked into the entire theater, you can effectively simulate acceleration (and deceleration). That'll never happen (to my satisfaction) in a "screen with moving chairs" situation.

(Now back to the freshly-painted blade-less riding lawnmower talk.)

D

Deleted member 107043

Yes, Autopia is better at the moment. Here's the thing about it that the rest of Tomorrowland completely lacks. It's relaxing, with pleasant soothing ambience. It's a super charming 1950s Walt Disney ride through a lovely forest. It's somehow the very essence of Disneyland and the only area of Tomorrowland that isn't fugly and hectic.

I'd agree that Space Mountain 2005 is perhaps on its level, but not the current Star Wars version. I know you guys are all gushing about the overlay, the line is consistently 3,720 minutes long and basically everyone thinks it's the greatest thing ever. So, I look like an idiot, but it really is terrible. It's yet another shoehorning of an unrelated IP to a classic Disney attraction that was previously its own unique thing. It's such a stupid overlay. Are you supposed to be in an X-Wing or, like, some kind of Rebel fighter? Because, yeah. That's a rocket that seats 12 people and isn't remotely similar to anything ever seen in Star Wars? Why does the hyperspace tunnel have like panels between the screens? The projections look like crap. Eh, whatever. The 2005 redo was classy. The Star Wars overlay is kinda trashy.

Star Tours has a good queue, but the ride itself is just a screen with moving chairs. In its own way, it's badly dated, even though they've tried to keep it relevant by adding 3D. I've never considered it one of the classic Disneyland attractions and I don't think I ever will.

But that's just like my opinion, man.

You keep shifting goal posts for what constitutes charm, Disney, and classic. Try being as nitpicky about Autopia's details as you are about Star Tours' and maybe you'll understand my viewpoint.

D

Deleted member 107043

According to MiceChat Disney's animated short Magic Highway is part of the revamped preshow queue.

All I can say is wow. Talk about over the top predictions for the future! This film is the complete antithesis of Disneyland's antiquated Autopia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Figments Friend

I'm here in Anaheim now....just had the pyro go off outside of my motel room.
Would have posted a couple of days ago..but I have been kind of busy since being in town.
This is probably all 'old news' now, but I am sharing what i have seen for interests sake.

I have been here since Tuesday, and have seen lots of interesting things associated with the re-opening of Autopia.

Wednesday I was walking past the Attraction and saw a lot of important looking folks and 'construction' workers up on the ramp closest to the Tomorrowland Stage.
They were all standing around, chit chatting, and I stopped to check out the faces to see if I saw anyone familiar.
Not this time...

Later that evening I was waiting in a short evening line at the Subs and spotted what looked to be a brand new car design.
White, sleek, and looking like a modern day 'Honda' inspired creation.
Looked great!
There were a couple parked right in sight, along with a few of the older designs we already all know and love.

The next day, I noticed a brand new Attraction poster for the 'new' Autopia up under the main entrance train underpass.
It caught my eye, and it was cool to notice it that night when I was exiting the Park.
Stylisied art of 'cutified' cartoon children driving around in slick looking vehicles.

That same evening there was some kind of VIP or Event Night going on...and Autopia was open to these attendees only.
I was walking by again and heard the cars running...so went over to see if it was open.
Thought they might have opened it earlier then planned, but once getting near the Attraction entrance I noticed only folks with red wristbands were allowed in.

It opened yesterday to the public but the Park was crazy busy and lines were far too long for my taste.
So I'm planning on hitting it tomorrow or Monday.
Looking forward to seeing what has been updated...I have avoided 'spoilers' as usual as I like to be surprised by what I find experiencing it myself firsthand.

-

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Last edited:

180º

I'm going to have to call you on this one. I've grown to simply dismiss the "stating opinion as fact" that is becoming commonplace here and elsewhere, but the above statement is misleading / false.
Endor Sightseer's opinion is neither true nor false, and neither is yours, and neither is mine. It's not necessary to preface an opinion with "in my opinion" or any other qualifier. So if we're getting technical, your claim that his opinion is outright false means you are the one in this case who has stated your opinion as fact. But this is a casual discussion forum, and no one is trying to mislead anyone.

I see your point with Star Tours, by the way. I don't at all think that what you're saying is worth any less than the other opinions here.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Endor Sightseer's opinion is neither true nor false, and neither is yours, and neither is mine. It's not necessary to preface an opinion with "in my opinion" or any other qualifier. So if we're getting technical, your claim that his opinion is outright false means you are the one in this case who has stated your opinion as fact. But this is a casual discussion forum, and no one is trying to mislead anyone.

I see your point with Star Tours, by the way. I don't at all think that what you're saying is worth any less than the other opinions here.

I completely agree that opinion is neither true or false. No one can deny somebody of their opinion (unless it could somehow be proven that they were lying about it). Call me old-fashioned, but I still think it's proper to state fact as fact, and opinion as opinion (though I've been more silent than not on the matter). Just in the last couple of days, we've seen opinion stated as fact:

“Autopia is the best attraction in Tomorrowland.”
“...it really is terrible.”
“Everything there is subpar.”
“It's swill!”

Yet, we've also seen opinion stated as opinion:

“I kinda love Autopia.”
“Autopia is one of my favorite attractions.”
“In-N-Out's fries are really good, in my opinion.”

...so we know it's possible for some people to do so. (Also, it seems to me that if a person has the time and ability to type "You know what I meant!", they might be capable of simply typing what they meant in the first place.)

The point I was making about the description of Star Tours was that I contend it was inaccurate. Read it again, and tell me if you believe it to be accurate? If that was your sole deciding factor, would you venture inside? Assuming you did, upon exiting the attraction, would you look back on the description and feel it was deceiving?

My simplified point is that in stating that "Ride A is great, but Ride B is terrible!", one is almost implying that those that enjoy Ride B are idiots with more than questionable taste. Stating "I love Ride A, but really dislike Ride B" is valid and irrefutable. If followed up with reasons for the opinion, It's an even better catalyst for discussion.

It seems perfectly clear that that some posters here like certain attractions, dislike certain attractions (or the idea of certain attractions) and really really really really like certain attractions. I can never, and will never take those opinions away from anybody. I will however continue to occasionally step in and correct statements I see as factually false.

Last edited:

180º

Call me old-fashioned, but I still think it's proper to state fact as fact, and opinion as opinion (though I've been more silent than not on the matter). Just in the last couple of days, we've seen opinion stated as fact:

“Autopia is the best attraction in Tomorrowland.”
“...it really is terrible.”
“Everything there is subpar.”
“It's swill!”
You have listed statements that could never be fact, no matter how emphatically they are stated. "Best," "subpar," "terrible," and "swill" are unquantifiable.

TP2000

For the record, here's your '55 Autopia. It's really not the same ride.

https://www.mouseplanet.com/8160/Bob_Gurr_Remembers_Autopia

It sure isn't.

And for the record, here's a shot of Autopia later in 1956 after all the celebrities and media left in July, 1955. Take in this image of Disneyland Reality circa 1956.
50s_BWNegs2_Autopia.jpg

You can see the fumes and smoke wafting through the boarding area. The cars are already chipped and damaged a few months after opening. The backside of the loading area is a car graveyard with vehicles in various states of repair and disrepair. The berm is a dusty and rocky bank with a few small saplings planted.

And best of all is the Cast Members... :eek: CM #1 has his sleeves rolled up to show off a tattoo he got in some exotic port during his two year stint in the Navy or Marines. CM #2 behind him in the greasy coveralls is obviously a Marlboro Man. Disneyland USA in real life!

Yes kids, the Disneyland dress code and clean-cut CM look wasn't established until about 1957 to 1958, after the park had been opened awhile and Walt figured out it wasn't going to flop. The first few years of the park's operation was a rag-tag and rather unattractive place to be in many areas of the young park.

That Honda remake for 2016 suddenly looks much better, doesn't it?!? :D

NobodyElse

You have listed statements that could never be fact...

I know that. You know that. It's unclear if the original authors know that, as they've shown an inconsistency of writing styles.

It seems the only thing we really disagree on is that you've chosen to support (or tolerate) the stating of opinions as fact, while I still believe it's a step in the wrong direction for public communication. We disagree. That's okay.

(Unless of course you truly agree with your heart of hearts that Star Tours is "just a screen with moving chairs". Then I think I'd have to politely ask you to follow up with persuading evidence to support that assertion.)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
@NobodyElse I NEVER said my opinion was really a fact. That's ridiculous. Should one have to ask if they're trying to pass a statement as fact? I would think not, it seems obvious. Are we going to have to follow up with "...in my opinion" for everything we say?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom