Autopia apparently receiving slight changes

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
According to MousePlanet, Autopia will be receiving minor changes:

Autopia Getting a Honda Refresh

Despite rumors earlier this year that, with the addition of a new Star Wars Land, Disneyland’s Autopia and adjacent lagoon would go the way of the Viewliner, it now looks like the Star Wars invasion will help guarantee at least several more years of Tomorrowland’s only Opening Day attraction.

The complete Star Wars/Marvel takeover of the Tomorrowland’s carousel building that opens November 16 forced out the last remaining sponsor of Innoventions: American Honda Motor Company. But since Disneyland wanted to keep Honda happy and extend its now-10-year-old, multi-resort sponsorship deal with the car company, Honda was instead offered sponsorship of Autopia.

To promote the Honda connection, the Autopia buildings will be repainted white, blue and silver, and the digital signage will change. The cars and track will stay the same.

Autopia is not yet listed on park refurbishment schedules, but—although the changeover will be very noticeable—it won’t require too extended of a rehab, a godsend for the park considering all the other capacity that will be lost for a full year to allow construction of the 14-acre Star Wars Land behind Frontierland.

Honda also sponsors Disneyland’s nightly fireworks shows, its Grad Nites, and, not so coincidentally, the Autopia at Hong Kong Disneyland. It’s also the Disneyland Resort’s official Car, Motorcycle and Select Power Equipment company.

https://www.mouseplanet.com/11216/Autopia_Getting_a_Honda_Refresh

TP2000

This is good news. The last 1999-2000 update in the Paul Pressler era has not aged very well.

Autopia needs help, if only just a fresh coat of paint and some new props along the roadways. They should use the old Chevron pre-show display to show the latest Honda cars or something.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
This is good news. The last 1999-2000 update in the Paul Pressler era has not aged very well.

Autopia needs help, if only just a fresh coat of paint and some new props along the roadways. They should use the old Chevron pre-show display to show the latest Honda cars or something.

Agreed.

Phroobar

Well at least they are making it blend in better with the rest of the land. I don't know why they never painted it or fixed the giant screen before this. Sounds like a win all around.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Hopefully this is the first step towards eventually getting electric cars like at Hong Kong Disneyland, also sponsored by Honda.

SpaceMountain75

I'm glad to see this ride getting any attention. It's so tucked away in the back of Tomorrowland that it's very easy to miss it (which is why I love it). On a somewhat different note, have you guys seen that atrocious CGI in the queue? That always cracks me up whenever I walk by it.

Brad Bishop

I was just there last weekend.

I really like Autotopia, mainly because it winds it's way through that section that encompasses Nemo, the Monorail, and the painful reminder of the Peoplemover (and the idiot Rocket Rods that took them from us).

Autotopia could use some help:
1) Fix the cars. The bodies were looking a bit ragged (faded paint/fiberglass). The engines often just stopped for people and they cast members would have to come out and restart them.
2) Make it electric. Yeah, I kind of like the nostalgia of them being gas but the time has come to just make them electric and be done with it.

Phroobar

I was just there last weekend.

I really like Autotopia, mainly because it winds it's way through that section that encompasses Nemo, the Monorail, and the painful reminder of the Peoplemover (and the idiot Rocket Rods that took them from us).

Autotopia could use some help:
1) Fix the cars. The bodies were looking a bit ragged (faded paint/fiberglass). The engines often just stopped for people and they cast members would have to come out and restart them.
2) Make it electric. Yeah, I kind of like the nostalgia of them being gas but the time has come to just make them electric and be done with it.

Maybe the helpful Honda guys can fix it?

share.jpg

Figments Friend

Hooray for fresh paint!
Autopia can use a little freshening up.

I do enjoy it...it's a lot of fun and kind of relaxing, exspecially when you wait until sunset to drive.
Ahhhh....

TP2000

The time has come and gone for the Autopia cars to be converted into electric ones. Electric cars are no longer futuristic.

Thank you. It's refreshing to hear a young person like yourself know that.

The majority of California electricity comes from these three sources, in this order: Natural Gas, Nuclear, Coal. If you believe in Manmade Global Warming, switching the Autopia cars to electricity is not switching them from unfashionable gasoline to fashionable unicorn farts. It would be switching them from gasoline to Natural Gas, Nuclear and Coal, but with the added inefficiency of getting all that energy through the power grid and to some currently non-existent but expensive to install and operate battery charging system.

Then there would be the need to produce a hundred or more new batteries, and if a Tesla or electric Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt is any guide you'd need to mine all sorts of dirty minerals from Chinese strip mines pouring poisonous chemicals into the ground, then ship those chemicals around the globe to Europe and on to North America as they go through various manufacturing stages in different countries to become a Prius battery.

It would be far more efficient and use far less resources and energy to keep the Autopia cars fueled by gasoline with their modern smog abatement systems. And then just paint the queue, update the cheap 1999 Paul Pressler props and get a new Honda pre-show, please.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom