Astro Orbiter refurbishment dates set for summer 2014

rct247

Astro Orbiter is going down for two reasons. One is to address the Rocket Tower Plaza building structure itself (including the elevators). The next is to address the ride Astro Orbiter. The building will be nearly stripped down to it's base redone with new flooring and ceilings. The elevators should be getting replaced as well. The lighting around The Lunching Pad restaurant and Astro Orbiter queue will be brighter. Up on top, the Astro Orbiter will be completely dismantled and rebuilt. The spinning planets will be returning, and they are hoping to making one of the rockets more ADA friendly. Rocket size will still probably remain the same, just an easier way for wheelchairs to climb into the rocket. There will also be some updates to the ride control system and lots of fresh paint.

The one thing I'm not looking forward to are the view walking into Tomorrowland during this summer and where are all the strollers going to be parked with area across from Buzz Lightyear behind work walls.

TestTrack Dummy

Astro Orbiter is going down for two reasons. One is to address the Rocket Tower Plaza building structure itself (including the elevators). The next is to address the ride Astro Orbiter. The building will be nearly stripped down to it's base redone with new flooring and ceilings. The elevators should be getting replaced as well. The lighting around The Lunching Pad restaurant and Astro Orbiter queue will be brighter. Up on top, the Astro Orbiter will be completely dismantled and rebuilt. The spinning planets will be returning, and they are hoping to making one of the rockets more ADA friendly. Rocket size will still probably remain the same, just an easier way for wheelchairs to climb into the rocket. There will also be some updates to the ride control system and lots of fresh paint.

The one thing I'm not looking forward to are the view walking into Tomorrowland during this summer and where are all the strollers going to be parked with area across from Buzz Lightyear behind work walls.

This is great news, I'm glad it's getting the love it needs. Those elevators can be incredibly uncomfortable in the summer packed with people.

DManRightHere

The Astro Orbiter is like a carny ride - it's just a spinner. And OLD. And charming, but yeah it's a tight squeeze in those rockets, even for skinny ol' me. Wonder how you refurb something like that?

Just a spinner? Best spinner I've rode! I'm a little sad it and people mover will be closed when we go in may but hey, it could be much worse, like space mnt or haunted mansion closed.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Just a spinner? Best spinner I've rode!

You've got to try Red Fish, Blue Fish or Twirl 'n' Hurl then.
When I worked there they were having trouble with the floor "puckering" in places, creating a trip hazard. Also, when rain would collect in the moat under the rockets, it would cause a small waterfall to form from one of the lighting fixtures on TTA...
The ADA update should involve one new rocket (though it really needs all new rockets), and making the rockets consistently land where they took off from.

awilliams4

FP+ added?

DManRightHere

You've got to try Red Fish, Blue Fish or Twirl 'n' Hurl then.
When I worked there they were having trouble with the floor "puckering" in places, creating a trip hazard. Also, when rain would collect in the moat under the rockets, it would cause a small waterfall to form from one of the lighting fixtures on TTA...
The ADA update should involve one new rocket (though it really needs all new rockets), and making the rockets consistently land where they took off from.

We rode red fish blue, excellently themed. Astro orbitor is a little more thrilling than red fish blue fish.

I have no input for the hurl ride. We may go back to universal this fall to check out the new harry potter and transformers.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
We rode red fish blue, excellently themed. Astro orbitor is a little more thrilling than red fish blue fish.

I have no input for the hurl ride. We may go back to universal this fall to check out the new harry potter and transformers.

Yeah, but if I want thrills, I'll be going on something with a height restriction. :)
The one thing I love about Astro, though, is the view. That trumps any other spinner.

amzgirl

My son (with autism) has recently decided that AO is a "must do." He just loves it. I think its the lateral g's you get when the thing is lowering down at the end - it's quite a ride! I'm glad it's getting some love. Hopefully COP will be refurbed soon - that ride brings back so many memories, but it seriously needs some attention.

Yert3

Any news on if the planets that have been missing for years will be returning? Or are they gone for good? I don't know any info on why they were removed in the first place, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

EDIT

planets will be returning

I didn't see this when I wrote this post. Thank you. I've been awaiting the return of the planets for a long time now.

rct247

Any news on if the planets that have been missing for years will be returning? Or are they gone for good? I don't know any info on why they were removed in the first place, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

EDIT

I didn't see this when I wrote this post. Thank you. I've been awaiting the return of the planets for a long time now.

The explanation my friend told me was that the motors inside of the planets that spin the planets were designed to be horizontal or vertical, but when they installed them, they were put on angles which caused the motors over work themselves. (Similar to how the angler fish in The Seas with Nemo is only meant to hold a certain weight limit and they decided to take the chance and exceed it and now it is broken.) The planets stopped spinning for good in Spring of 2011 and were removed later that year near Thanksgiving I think. Last I heard, they were sitting at Central Shops. I'm not sure how they will replace them because when they were removed, it was a very quick dirty cut job, not a careful piece by piece removal.

Rob562

The explanation my friend told me was that the motors inside of the planets that spin the planets were designed to be horizontal or vertical, but when they installed them, they were put on angles which caused the motors over work themselves. (Similar to how the angler fish in The Seas with Nemo is only meant to hold a certain weight limit and they decided to take the chance and exceed it and now it is broken.) The planets stopped spinning for good in Spring of 2011 and were removed later that year near Thanksgiving I think. Last I heard, they were sitting at Central Shops. I'm not sure how they will replace them because when they were removed, it was a very quick dirty cut job, not a careful piece by piece removal.

Didn't one of them catch fire before the removal? Or am I mis-remembering?

Edit: Never mind, it was a light at the top of the ride that shorted out and smoldered back in 2011.

-Rob

andyman8

Don't want to give too much false hope, but looking at DisneyWorld.com, it looks like the TTA and Astro Orbiter refurbs may have been postponed to a start date on June 2 (lucky for us considering our MK day is June 1). This applies for both, but I can't quite nail an end date. It seems to be sometime around mid September for Astro, but can't tell for TTA. Regardless, this may be a glitch, but I'm pretty confident about this info. Last year, a Carousel refurb was scheduled during our trip, but I saw on the Disney site that it had been postponed, and a week or so later, the postponement showed on WDWMAGIC and other Disney sites.

Are there any TAs out there who can confirm this change on the TA refurb calendar. Thanks!

Dwarful

I hope andyman8 is right. It just doesn't seem like a trip to WDW without a few rounds on TTA and at least two rides on AO...one in the morning and one at night.

gooferz

I really hope they make the rockets bigger! I had always wanted to go on Astro Orbiter, but my dad never wanted to, so when I went with my sister last summer, I was excited to ride it. Now, we thought that the rockets were set up similarly to the Dumbo and Magic Carpets of Aladdin vehicles, so we thought we could both fit in one together, but boy were we mistaken! The entire time, we were screaming, not because of the gleeful soar over the park, but rather the sharp pain of our twisting legs as they were further pressed as the centripetal force increased. It sucked at the time, but looking back on it now, it was actually really funny. In addition, the view can't be beat! That bird's-eye view of the castle is breathtaking! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom