Anyone stay at Cabana Bay yet?

BigTxEars

Two huge pools, a lazy river, waterslide, bowling alley, complimentary fitness center, table-service restaurant (in addition to a food court and bars), plus room service. Cheaper than Disney's value resorts and with more amenities. And you don't need to make reservations for dining 60 days in advance. And unlike most of Disney's rsort hotels, this place could stand alone without the parks. Express Pass would be nice, but with the price points and amenities (not to mention location), it isn't needed.

I have no doubt its very nice, I just think for us to stay there the EP is a perk we would want to have. I would rather stay at the other Uni resorts and get the EP. But that is just our family, everybody is different. :)

durangojim

We've never stayed at Uni before, but we will be staying two nights at Cabana Bay - primarily due to the price and theming, and 1 night at Royal Pacific for the EP. We wanted to do this vacation cheaper than we usually would so we'll be staying in the non suite rooms and we would either stay at Cabana bay or off site or possibly in a Disney Value resort. We're only going to Universal for 2 days so we'll be covered by the EP for those two days. Then we're off to the WL for 2 nights. It'll be interesting to for us to compare Universal to Disney as we're Disney experts but haven't been to Universal in about 13 years.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have no doubt its very nice, I just think for us to stay there the EP is a perk we would want to have. I would rather stay at the other Uni resorts and get the EP. But that is just our family, everybody is different. :)

You can still get Express Pass. You just have to pay for it.

I received an email from universal for a grand opening special. It said suites would be around $98 per night. Tried to get a reservation the only thing available is the same suite for $198?? :/

disneyflush

We are going to Universal and staying here at Cabana Bay in early July. From just a newby point of view I can offer a few insights. There will be 6 of us (2 adults, 4 children) going down from Indiana in July. We have never had 6 people before but when I started pricing Disney for a party of 6 it got really ugly, really quickly for our budget. The cheapest onsite option we could find was All Star Family Suite for around $385 a night. It went up from there but hotel was basically going to be about $2000 for 5 nights then tickets would put us around $4500 for 5 nights. I priced Universal for 5 nights and it came out to about $2,000 for 5 nights including tickets for 3 days. The theme park experience we are looking for this year becomes significantly cheaper at Universal with Cabana Bay being an option. I realize we won't go to the front of the line on all the rides but I'm not able to justify that additional $2500 to stay at any of the other 3 resorts onsite in order to skip the line and get better amenities.

The last 2 times we have went to Disney were in 2009 and 2011. We were fairly underwhelmed in 2009 by the rides (just due to having done each of them so many times in previous visits) and the food quality was much different than our first visit in 2006. We did Hilton Head in 2010 and then decided to go back to WDW in 2011 with a 1 year old and 4 year old this time. The food selection and quality really missed the mark that trip. We stayed at the AKL which was really nice but we just found ourselves bored in the parks and finding more issues with upkeep and condition. I know these are all just personal obvservations and not trying to start a discussion but wanted to give some background.

I imagine if you are vacationing or planning a vacation with 2, 3, 4 people in your party your view is probably much different as to staying here but for us and our party of 6 it is a really easy decision. I can also see that other families with 6 in their party could flock to this place for the savings. It is a very awkward amount of people to plan a vacation for in my experience and a really underserved market.

StageFrenzy

We are going to Universal and staying here at Cabana Bay in early July. From just a newby point of view I can offer a few insights. There will be 6 of us (2 adults, 4 children) going down from Indiana in July. We have never had 6 people before but when I started pricing Disney for a party of 6 it got really ugly, really quickly for our budget. The cheapest onsite option we could find was All Star Family Suite for around $385 a night. It went up from there but hotel was basically going to be about $2000 for 5 nights then tickets would put us around $4500 for 5 nights. I priced Universal for 5 nights and it came out to about $2,000 for 5 nights including tickets for 3 days. The theme park experience we are looking for this year becomes significantly cheaper at Universal with Cabana Bay being an option. I realize we won't go to the front of the line on all the rides but I'm not able to justify that additional $2500 to stay at any of the other 3 resorts onsite in order to skip the line and get better amenities.

The last 2 times we have went to Disney were in 2009 and 2011. We were fairly underwhelmed in 2009 by the rides (just due to having done each of them so many times in previous visits) and the food quality was much different than our first visit in 2006. We did Hilton Head in 2010 and then decided to go back to WDW in 2011 with a 1 year old and 4 year old this time. The food selection and quality really missed the mark that trip. We stayed at the AKL which was really nice but we just found ourselves bored in the parks and finding more issues with upkeep and condition. I know these are all just personal obvservations and not trying to start a discussion but wanted to give some background.

I imagine if you are vacationing or planning a vacation with 2, 3, 4 people in your party your view is probably much different as to staying here but for us and our party of 6 it is a really easy decision. I can also see that other families with 6 in their party could flock to this place for the savings. It is a very awkward amount of people to plan a vacation for in my experience and a really underserved market.

At Disney the market for larger families has shifted to the DVC resorts, in the form of multiple bedrooms.

IlikeDW

Actually yes it will be a good comparison except AKL is more expensive. Doesn't matter about the price really a straight comparison would be nice without any down time in between.
Price difference is significant, it should be more a contrast than comparison. I got a decent rate(relatively speaking) at AKL $266/night with tax for 4 nights and CBBR was $130/night with tax and tack on the $10/night parking fee makes it $140/night both are queen standard rooms. So roughly double the cost per night. We usually Stay Disney Value resorts, either AS Movies or POP.

Mouse_Trap

It's strange to me, why would I stay there without the express pass? Seems I am not alone in this. As posted its cheaper to stay elsewhere on property with the free express pass than staying here and buying the express pass. If Uni is aiming for more family business then I think this really is an odd call by them.

Oh I egt your point on EP, I am just saying it is a deal killer of me. Now that we have had it I do not see going back to Uni without it. If I can come out ahead staying at the other Uni resorts with free EP vs staying here and buying a EP then I know which way we would go is all :)

But isn't this resort coming out at like half the price of the next cheapest?

Depending upon when you visit, then an EP may not be much of a visit. I was there 12 months ago and there was hardly a line for anything. In fact I remember walking straight on every ride except Forbidden Journey, that was a full 2-5 minute wait.

Same experience on two separate days at IOA, there would have been zero value in a EP then. Depending on how much you value paying, even with 20-30 minute waits you might prefer to pocket the saving on the room.

BigTxEars

But isn't this resort coming out at like half the price of the next cheapest?

Depending upon when you visit, then an EP may not be much of a visit. I was there 12 months ago and there was hardly a line for anything. In fact I remember walking straight on every ride except Forbidden Journey, that was a full 2-5 minute wait.

Same experience on two separate days at IOA, there would have been zero value in a EP then. Depending on how much you value paying, even with 20-30 minute waits you might prefer to pocket the saving on the room.

Agree, it depends on when you go to the parks. We went in Sept in 2010 and bought the EP, did not really needed it. We also went in June 2013 and stayed at the HR so we had the EP which was really nice due to crowd levels. I do think the early access to IOA will be vey nice when he new Potter opens, right now it's no big deal IMO.

I have somewhat changed my mind on this new resort. If we go during the summer we will not stay here because I would want the EP, if we go in the off season I can see us staying there :)

We are going back to WDW in 30 days for a week, not going to Uni that trip, we return to WDW in Jan 2015 for a week and might sneak a day in at Uni to see Potter but we already have 7 nights of rooms at WDW so we will not stay at Uni overnight. By time I have to decide if we will stay here I will have a year + of reviews to read :)

fosse76

How though, is it any different from staying off-site and paying for EP separately? Unless you're staying at a deluxe resort off-site for cheaper, there really isn't any reason to not stay at CB simply because ot doesn't have EP. If you are simply chosing between the four on-site hotels, then your point is valid. But if are deciding between either Cabana Bay or an off-site hotel, then the argument doesn't make sense.

BigTxEars

How though, is it any different from staying off-site and paying for EP separately? Unless you're staying at a deluxe resort off-site for cheaper, there really isn't any reason to not stay at CB simply because ot doesn't have EP. If you are simply chosing between the four on-site hotels, then your point is valid. But if are deciding between either Cabana Bay or an off-site hotel, then the argument doesn't make sense.

I was referring to staying on property at one of the older Uni resorts. I prefer to stay on property at either WDW or Uni.

danpam1024

Original Poster
personally I think CB target group is for larger families that need the space and would otherwise stay off property or people that normally stay off property (and don't realize how incredibly awesome EP is). They have the perk of a suite with a kitchen and still get early entry, a themed hotel and the feeling of being in the "Uni Bubble" so to speak. I look at my family of 3- we love to stay at the HRH. We live in FL and sometimes just want to go up for the weekend- we don't always have the cash to stay at HRH on spur of the moment trips so we sometimes stay at the Embassy Suites- same type of concept as CB, but now we have to drive, park, etc. CB would be a great option for us on those types of trips- when we wouldn't expect to have EP anyways. And the cost is just about the same.

Communicora

Premium Member
I don't have kids and don't have any plans to go to Uni, but I would love to stay at this resort. I hope the theming lives up to its promise. Can't wait for more reviews!

Last edited:

IlikeDW

How was it? I would love to hear reviews :)

Checked in around noon today after checking our of AKL. First impressions are very positive, staff friendly. Was greeted at my vehicle and in the lobby. Check in was smooth. Tried a few drinks from atomic tonic and they are great. Room is clean(no construction dust or reminants.) Was worried there might be a smell of fresh paint or new carpet but there is not. Spent some time at the new pool and lazy river. Poll has underwater music which my daughter loved. Lazy river is not huge but is fun. Downside is there are no free or rental inner tubes but they are for sale from 5-12 dollars each depending on size. So after a half day our family consensus is we like the resort and would likely return. Let's see how we feel after a 6 nights.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

RTeker

well they sell tubes there to use? hmm gonna see about bringing my own then. nice room and view though. 10 weeks till i'm there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom